How useful is a blog? Good use of procrastination time?

(9 Posts)
Yagababa Fri 25-Nov-16 15:58:40

I'm about two thirds through the first draft of my first book.

I've had this idea in the back of my head for a week, that writing a blog alongside would actually help solidify a few of my 'creatures' and characters as I go along.

A sort of online bestiary if you will.

Do you think it's a good idea or should I just concentrate on the books for now?

TiggyD Fri 25-Nov-16 20:46:41

I've got one. I put my children's books (Not published)(Yet!) on it and I use it as a suppository for random poems I don't want to just throw away.

You sound kind of like you want an online note book for your beasts. Would other people like to read about them? Probably. Sound kind of fun, and it'll be lots of little things you can complete and 'publish' as you complete your big thing.

Go for it.

Yagababa Fri 25-Nov-16 21:33:53

Thank you TiggyD grin

Im just having a go at setting one up now on 'Wix'.

motherinferior Sat 26-Nov-16 10:52:10

I wouldn't. Or rather I only would as a very specific, timed exercise in back-story. Otherwise I would just get on with finishing the first draft.

Yagababa Sat 26-Nov-16 18:34:24

motherinferior yes I lost a few hours on it last night! Could easily be a time sink.

It was quite fun writing little stories about each of my monster races though.

It helped me to come up with a title!

So I'm just going to limit it to maybe an hour or two a week.

MissBattleaxe Mon 28-Nov-16 14:30:26

Personally, I wouldn't. If you need a kind of scrap book then just keep a Word doc. If you start putting things out there then it will distract you from writing the book. Plus if you get negative feedback or no views, then it might knock your confidence. It sounds like an exercise in procrastination.

Just write your book! It will all come together one day. Good luck!

schmalex Mon 28-Nov-16 16:21:26

I agree with battleaxe, write the damn book!

Yagababa Mon 28-Nov-16 17:49:20

Message received loud and clear grin

Hopefully will have finished the first draft soon. Ive been told that is where the real test endless rewriting begins grin

MissBattleaxe Mon 28-Nov-16 19:00:56

Yes, the editing can often take longer than writing the first draft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now