Am I crazy to rewrite the whole bloody thing in first person

(6 Posts)
Nativitylobster Fri 23-Sep-16 22:40:44

I have written the majority of a first draft and as I've written the whole thing has changed from what I originally planned. The original idea was a story told from 2 perspectives. One chapter for one person, then one chapter fornthe secondband switching. Since then I have added other charachters naritives and it's working well but one character is quickly becoming the main character and I find myself thinking in her voice, with her speech patterns etc and now I'm wondering if I should write in forst person for this one character and third person for the others. I'm not sure how I feel about switching though, and I would have to rewrite huge chunks of my work. Does switching between first and third person for different charachters work? Advice please!!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 24-Sep-16 07:47:55

Switching can work.
I would just go for it and rewrite it all.

Nativitylobster Sat 24-Sep-16 20:23:09

Thank you. I might rewrite and compare both drafts to see which works better.

NewPotatoes Mon 26-Sep-16 16:48:08

Rewriting sounds like a good idea now you've found a voice for your main character.

Nativitylobster Mon 26-Sep-16 21:17:31

Thank you potatoes. That will be my mission for tomorrow!

user1477307675 Mon 24-Oct-16 12:39:15

Finding the right voice is key to the tone of a novel. If this is your first, it would be worth doing the rewrite to gain experience and see which point of view works best.

It also depends on genre. Psychological thrillers are often first person; mysteries and action stories rarely work that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now