Mumsnet Academy Get Published - 29 November 2014

(19 Posts)
ImperialBlether Sun 19-Oct-14 18:51:18

Anyone going? I'm signed up for it - it would be really nice to know who else is going to be there.

ImperialBlether Mon 20-Oct-14 13:34:20

Bump! Will I be on my own, then?

mistywillow17 Wed 22-Oct-14 16:56:35

I'm going - it looks really interesting, in particular the 10 minute pitching opportunity (which I am excited/nervous about in equal parts).

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Oct-14 10:05:14

Hi misty! I'll see you there, then! Yes, I think the pitching opportunity will be great (but very stressful.) Where are you travelling from? NW here.

mistywillow17 Sun 26-Oct-14 09:33:11

I'm in Warwick - really hoping it's worth the trip.I'm hoping it will give me some real motivation through November to get down to some serious writing.

ImperialBlether Thu 27-Nov-14 12:23:07

Are we really the only two going?

duplodancer Fri 28-Nov-14 16:25:29

I'm going. I'm a bit of a newcomer to serious writing and feeling a bit anxious.

Pretty sure I'm going to feel very inferior amongst a group of proper writers. grin Hope it doesn't zap my motivation to keep at it.

My current work in progress is only 15,000 into the first draft so I'm not really in a position to pitch but hoping to use my 10 minutes to glean some tips for next time.

mistywillow17 Fri 28-Nov-14 16:32:42

It's sold out apparently - wonder how many places there were.

Duplo, I could have written your post, I am in exactly the same situation (but with fewer words actually written). But I'm hoping that getting feedback on my concept at an early stage will help me avoid a few mistakes along the way.

duplodancer Fri 28-Nov-14 17:22:08

I've been wondering how many people too. And also how they managed to put it on so cheaply?

I like to think they're desperate for new talent and hoping to find writers.

Glad to hear I'm not the only novice going. grin

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Nov-14 20:39:22

Still on train home so can't write much now but that was the best day I've spent on a creative writing course. Fantastic value for money and so useful and interesting. Will write more tomorrow.

duplodancer Sun 30-Nov-14 08:35:05

It was brilliant, wasn't it? smile

mistywillow17 Sun 30-Nov-14 08:50:28

I really enjoyed it - brilliant value, and the one-on-one time was so useful - I picked up some very useful pointers.

ImperialBlether Sun 30-Nov-14 16:25:37

Who did you see, misty? And whereabouts were you sitting? Did you ask any questions? It was funny to think we all had MN in common but didn't know who anyone was. I felt like asking everyone for their nicknames!

Does anyone have a list of the editors who were there? I meant to write their names down but couldn't hear their names clearly.

MythicDay Mon 01-Dec-14 17:02:08

Hi everyone.

I thought the 'get published' day was fantastic. I learnt so much about agents, publishing and loved listening to the authors too. My 10 minutes with Helle was especially useful.

The editors were:
Jessica Leeke (Penguin)
Kimberely Young (Harper Fiction)
Frankie Gray (Transworld)
David Maybury (Scholastic)

I'm feeling inspired to get on with my writing now.

katylittlelady Tue 13-Jan-15 22:05:26

Anyone else going to the January Get Published day this coming Saturday?

elfycat Tue 13-Jan-15 22:12:39

Hello katy

Can you link me to information about this? I haven't seen anything but might be able to attend (couldn't do the last due to childcare issues).

elfycat Tue 13-Jan-15 22:23:26

Never mind - I'll see you there!

katylittlelady Tue 13-Jan-15 23:09:18

Did you find the info? I couldn't make the last one. See you there!

Izzy101 Mon 11-May-15 22:46:01

Is anyone going to the GET PUBLISHED course this Saturday May 16th 2015? I will be travelling up from Cardiff. Would love to meet someone up there so I am not a total stranger - bit nervous I have to say. Will I be with real writers? Gulp! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now