Self-Publishing Support Thread

(178 Posts)
APodPerson Fri 06-Jun-14 17:24:07

Hi all,

Following a number of other threads suggesting this, I thought I’d set up a support thread for us self-publishers (although traditionally published are welcome too of course).

The purpose would be for us all to support each other, share our books, tips and tricks that have worked, and anything else self-publishing related.

MNHQ have given us the go ahead, although of course we need to make sure we behave ourselves, and if it ends up being nothing but spam it'll get pulled.

So, Rule 1: No spam!

I suggest one post introducing yourself with a link to your books, and goodreads profile, twitter, fb page, website etc, but then no further links or any kind of self promo unless it is directly related to a question from another poster.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 26-Jan-15 17:17:05

aargh, link fail. Try again.

Sell More Books

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 26-Jan-15 17:16:25

Just popping in to recommend a book I've been reading on marketing ebooks - More Books ink{http://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-Marketing-Publishing-Profile-Authors-ebook/dp/B0052U7F06/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1422292477&sr=8-10&keywords=sell+more+books\www.amazon.co.uk/Books-Marketing-Publishing-Profile-Authors-ebook/dp/B0052U7F06/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1422292477&sr=8-10&keywords=sell+more+book]]s}.

It's got good realistic advice for those of us who are starting out but he's also lovely and optimistic about it all.

kirstyjanem Tue 20-Jan-15 10:58:56

It's immense fun, Countess, especially thinking about how the action of the historical stories influences the contemporary ones. Although I wrote The Last Prince first, so was more working backwards. I have sequels to both stories in varying degrees of progress at the moment and it's interesting how they interact.

kirstyjanem Tue 20-Jan-15 10:57:15

I do, although I made the possibly foolish decision to use my middle name (which I also use for my non-fiction stuff) for the Father Neri stories, and drop it for The Last Prince, because apart from the setting, the two are utterly different. So now I can't link both of them to my author account.

I have a website here, though, which I keep feeling I should upgrade at some stage.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Jan-15 10:53:50

I do love the idea of taking the same made-up placing and writing different stories about it. My all-time favourite author, Norah Lofts, had a fictional Suffolk town called Baildon and I love the way you get to know the town and the area through the books. As a reader it's very rewarding. Ultimately I would like to do something similar.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Jan-15 10:52:05

Ooh, what fun!

Do you have a Goodreads page etc?

kirstyjanem Tue 20-Jan-15 10:48:48

... and a very silly contemporary romcom/satire all about horses, cavalry officers, political intrigue, class warfare and general swashbuckling is here, and it's 99p until the end of the week!

Lovely to meet you all and I look forward to reading more about your journeys!

kirstyjanem Tue 20-Jan-15 10:46:25

Hello all smile What an excellent thread!

I write Ruritanian fiction, with both historical and contemporary stuff set in the same fictional principality.

The first in a planned collection of linked historical shorts is here ... (making separate posts because the iPad refreshes the page, and loses my post, whenever I go to look for the link)

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Jan-15 10:28:10

I didn't know about FictionPress - is it similar to Wattpad?

I've just approved my cover design and am very pleased. If any wants recommendations for a good cover designer I am happy to pass on details - he's mid-priced rather than at the cheaper end but IMO better than some of the most expensive people.

FiveLittlePeas Mon 19-Jan-15 06:51:40

I've published in FictionPress, just the first two "chapters"... and I got one short review, according to which my piece is "beautifully written"! grin it's a promising start!

FiveLittlePeas Mon 12-Jan-15 18:54:28

Well, reading on a laptop is ok, I do that most of the day anyway! So, here I am.

Been working a fair bit today (meaning, for money), I will write more tomorrow, so I'll have at least a couple of chapters to show...

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 12-Jan-15 09:32:20

You can read Kindle books on a laptop if you can bear to read on a laptop screen - the programme makes them work, but it's never quite as comfortable as an actual Kindle or Ipad.

FiveLittlePeas Sun 11-Jan-15 17:05:25

Oh, I have no idea about genre... Women's fiction, I guess... it's mostly about four women, three sisters and their mother. I am rubbish at this labelling thing, I really have no idea.

Regarding the review, I would like to read yours if you want, but I have no e-reader (other than my laptop, would that be ok? there is something called "kindle" in it, but I'm not sure what it is supposed to be!)

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 10-Jan-15 16:52:04

Welcome, FiveLittlePeas. What genre do you write?

If you're interested in a free e-copy of a Young Adult historical in return for an honest review, I will hopefully be sending out e-ARCs (advance review copies) in the next few weeks.

FiveLittlePeas Sat 10-Jan-15 08:43:58

Hi everyone! I am about to start my first (... ehm... hopefully it will grow to be a) novel. I've been good at creative writing in the past, but haven't written anything recently (that is, in the past decade!). So I'm reading all this and learning a lot from your comments and stories. I am also an avid reader and would read anything in exchange for a review if anyone is interested.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 06-Jan-15 20:55:35

Just checking in - how is everyone doing? I'm waiting impatiently for my cover design.

runningvixen Wed 26-Nov-14 23:17:56

Hi, I have recently self-published my first novel. It's an Experimental High Fantasy, aimed for adults. I stumbled upon this thread and decided to throw my hat in.

Createspace Listing

Kindle Listing

Really hoping that the links work! Feedback is really welcome smile

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 25-Nov-14 15:09:42

Thank you, that's very helpful.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel
I seem to remember you can simply give them a reasonable estimate for those things and then change the details when you have them.
It is quite easy to change the details once you are set up.
But definitely give a publication date further ahead than you think, you don't want your records to say you are published when it is not.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 24-Nov-14 17:32:45

Thanks, MrsTaraPlumbing!

The only problem I've encountered so far is that to order my ISBNs I need the publication date, number of pages and cover price, and I won't know any of those till the formatting is done, but it's being done for me by Amazon because of the White Glove programme and I don't know how long it will take.
I think I'm just going to have to do it myself as a sort of draft to try and work the things out and then hope my version matches theirs.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel
Has anyone on here set up their own imprint and bought ISBNs?

Yes i did this it is very easy and inexpensive.

If you change printer you can only keep the same isbn if the new book is identical to the old. Eg. correcting typos does not require a new edition number but it does require a new isbn.
Same if there is a change of size or layout.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 23-Nov-14 08:34:58

With a YA category!

GrendelsMinim Sat 22-Nov-14 22:09:28

yes, definitely we should keep our eyes open - or they might re-start it.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 22-Nov-14 19:27:23

Oh, I'm sorry! I missed that bit because I stopped reading when it said it only took adult fiction. Best keep our eyes open for anything similar.

GrendelsMinim Sat 22-Nov-14 18:13:42

Just checked it out, Countess - damn - it looks like we have missed our opportunity! Seems it ended in October...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now