Self-Publishing Support Thread

(162 Posts)
APodPerson Fri 06-Jun-14 17:24:07

Hi all,

Following a number of other threads suggesting this, I thought I’d set up a support thread for us self-publishers (although traditionally published are welcome too of course).

The purpose would be for us all to support each other, share our books, tips and tricks that have worked, and anything else self-publishing related.

MNHQ have given us the go ahead, although of course we need to make sure we behave ourselves, and if it ends up being nothing but spam it'll get pulled.

So, Rule 1: No spam!

I suggest one post introducing yourself with a link to your books, and goodreads profile, twitter, fb page, website etc, but then no further links or any kind of self promo unless it is directly related to a question from another poster.

runningvixen Wed 26-Nov-14 23:17:56

Hi, I have recently self-published my first novel. It's an Experimental High Fantasy, aimed for adults. I stumbled upon this thread and decided to throw my hat in.

Createspace Listing

Kindle Listing

Really hoping that the links work! Feedback is really welcome smile

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 25-Nov-14 15:09:42

Thank you, that's very helpful.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel
I seem to remember you can simply give them a reasonable estimate for those things and then change the details when you have them.
It is quite easy to change the details once you are set up.
But definitely give a publication date further ahead than you think, you don't want your records to say you are published when it is not.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 24-Nov-14 17:32:45

Thanks, MrsTaraPlumbing!

The only problem I've encountered so far is that to order my ISBNs I need the publication date, number of pages and cover price, and I won't know any of those till the formatting is done, but it's being done for me by Amazon because of the White Glove programme and I don't know how long it will take.
I think I'm just going to have to do it myself as a sort of draft to try and work the things out and then hope my version matches theirs.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel
Has anyone on here set up their own imprint and bought ISBNs?

Yes i did this it is very easy and inexpensive.

If you change printer you can only keep the same isbn if the new book is identical to the old. Eg. correcting typos does not require a new edition number but it does require a new isbn.
Same if there is a change of size or layout.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 23-Nov-14 08:34:58

With a YA category!

GrendelsMinim Sat 22-Nov-14 22:09:28

yes, definitely we should keep our eyes open - or they might re-start it.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 22-Nov-14 19:27:23

Oh, I'm sorry! I missed that bit because I stopped reading when it said it only took adult fiction. Best keep our eyes open for anything similar.

GrendelsMinim Sat 22-Nov-14 18:13:42

Just checked it out, Countess - damn - it looks like we have missed our opportunity! Seems it ended in October...

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 22-Nov-14 17:43:02

Does everyone here know about the Guardian Self-Published Book of the Month?

It's only open to fiction for adults (boo hiss) but sounds like a good idea.

I've been checking out awards for self-published books and they mostly look like money-making schemes with hefty entrance fees hmm

GrendelsMinim Thu 20-Nov-14 12:27:36

Proud to say that 'Changed Souls' is now up on Amazon, complete with the back-cover blurb that we all drafted on this very thread.

Changed Souls on Amazon

I'd be chuffed to bits if my fellow authors from this forum would read and review it (let me know if you'd like a free review copy) - at least one already has wink

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 19-Nov-14 16:21:02

My author Facebook page is up-and-running - here
It's very gratifying to see how many of my friends have liked it. But even more gratifying that I already have quite a few likes from people I don't know. Am trying not to be too surprised at the fact that there are people out there interested enough in my writing to want updates on their feed grin

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 14-Nov-14 12:27:04

Has anyone on here set up their own imprint and bought ISBNs?

I'm about to do this so I can have something other than 'Createspace' on my spine and so if I ever want to move the printing to somewhere else I'd be able to keep the same ISBN. Is it really as easy as it looks?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 13-Nov-14 17:02:07

I've commissioned my cover designer!

He's too busy to start right away but it'll be ready in about a month.

Christmasbooks Wed 12-Nov-14 19:08:40

Hello! I came here because of a thread I posted in AIBU , which everyone told me was spam, about my mum's new book (Christmas at Great Madden http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00PFTJ2W8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1415744008&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40£.

I really want to read other MNers books so am delighted to find this thread! imperial -your link from June goes to three books...are the first two yours?

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 24-Oct-14 11:22:59

Hello everyone.
I haven't got very far lately but I see GrendelsMinim is going great guns.

Anyone else got any recommendations for good cover designers?

GrendelsMinim Sun 21-Sep-14 19:37:16

Thank you Tunip!

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 21-Sep-14 19:28:38

Wow, massive GO YOU!!!!

I love the Sound and Fury website.

GrendelsMinim Sun 21-Sep-14 19:10:40

I'm finally approaching publication date - would anyone like a copy of my novel in exchange for a review on GoodReads and Amazon? (Honest reviews wanted, of course, not puff-pieces.)

Meanwhile, I have to share my website-in-progress for the book with you all: www.soundandfurypress.co.uk/

You'll see the book blurb as drafted on this very thread!

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 19-Sep-14 11:15:26

I agree Guilianna - feedback is everything. Make it as good as possible before sending it to agents or self-publishing.

olivespickledonions Wed 17-Sep-14 20:03:21

Thank you both for your advice. I've found a beta reader through a forum and will wait for their conclusions before deciding whether to publish or bin! Thanks again.

mitchstrahsberg Wed 17-Sep-14 09:17:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Guilianna Tue 16-Sep-14 17:08:05

My advice would be don't put book out there you fear may be utter utter shit. I've got a few of those manuscripts, and I wouldn't inflict them on the world!
Getting feedback is a great idea, though. I asked friends, then friends of friends, then paid for some feedback and started MA for some more. I also started a local writing group by advertising on twitter. Good luck!

olivespickledonions Tue 16-Sep-14 09:35:36

Ps. Sorry, should have said I hope everyone else is getting on ok before launching in. (...Oh it's just all 'me, me, me'...Sorry!)

olivespickledonions Tue 16-Sep-14 09:27:57

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice! So I sent my novel to quite a few agents, have been rejected by all but 4, and still waiting for those last few to come in. I'm assuming they're all going to be rejections, I have rejigged the novel a bit since submitting and I'm itching to just get the damn thing on Amazon. I feel even if a few people read it and I make a tiny amount of money and if one of two people like it (I'll use a pen name in case it gets slated), the whole thing will have been worth it, and then I can happily continue with my second novel, which I have started. Should I wait though? (I sent out my novel to agents mid-July, so it's been two months. I know it's early days but I'm really impatient, and I truly expect the final responses to all be 'no's; I know how fiercely competitive it all is and I fear my book may be utter utter shit.

My other question concerns beta readers. No-one has read my novel but me. The only person who knows I've even written it is my husband and he only reads football biographies so he's no help. I haven't told anyone else in RL as I am scared of looking a fool if my writing is crap and this whole endeavour ends in nothing. And I've looked at/tinkered with the bloody thing so many times now I just don't know anything anymore! Have any of you used beta readers before self-publishing and where did you find them? Will I break any mumsnet rules if I just ask on 'chat' or 'fiction' if anyone wants to read it??
I'm a complete novice at this, as you can tell! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now