What is the point of writing..?

(6 Posts)
Scarletohello Mon 24-Mar-14 18:05:01

When so few new novels seem to get published? Doesn't it ever feel like a colossal waste of time? And how do you know if you even have something interesting to say or are any good? Any thoughts..?

grants1000 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:49:14

Personal satisfaction - because you can - a project - keeps the creative box ticked - lovely seeing your words on a page - I do it for me no one else - entered a few comps won nothing not bothered

MyDHhasnomemory Mon 24-Mar-14 21:52:09

Join a local writing group. There are online ones too. You will get feedback.

thoughtsandall Tue 25-Mar-14 14:05:25

How can something you enjoy doing ever be a waste of time? I love the writing process- from the spark of an idea, to a jumbled flow of words which eventually form a story on the page. It excites me and I am constantly in awe of what writers can achieve with words and a little (or a lot of!) imagination. I suppose OP it begs the question- why do you want to write? If your goal is to be published then it probably would seem like a waste of time if you never achieved this, but if you write because you want/need/have to then you take enjoyment from the process and not the end goal. With regards to whether you are any good or have anything interesting to say- who knows? Why not write it down and take a chance? A creative writing/ critique group would be one way of finding out or enter a few compettions and see how it goes. You can always self publish if you want to get your work out there.

Happy Writing smile

blackcoffee Tue 25-Mar-14 21:54:58

because the telly's crap

PenelopeLane Wed 26-Mar-14 08:34:05

I write because I like to. No other reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now