Book printing woes

(9 Posts)

I recently published a paperback (a children's stocking filler book). The printer I paid (upfront - yeah, I should know better) said it would take 7-10 working days. It has so far been 17 working days and they haven't even dispatched them yet. I have taken preorders from people wanting them for Christmas, but unless they post them in the next day or two, I won't get them posted out in time.
Does anyone know a decent printers that won't cost the earth but will actually print as promised?

Hi,
Don't know how many pages but I did somethign similar one year and printed them off as photobooks from foto.com or somewhere similar. I just scanned each page of the book like a photo and set them in sequence. Worked out well but I only made about 5 copies. Think it might have been about 10euro/photobook.
Not sure if that's any good to you
good luck with it

Thanks, but it's largely text, with a few B&W line drawing illustrations, and it only retails at £4.99, so that route would not be economic.

caroldecker Thu 12-Dec-13 21:20:41

go kindle - can put it on amazon as a kindle book

It's already on Smashwords, I want a paperback version. It's a bit late for this print run, but I have 3 more titles in production, and other authors are writing a further 10 or so titles for the current series which will be 100 titles eventually. I don't want to be stuck with an unreliable printer for future runs, I could do with a company that can turn around simple A6 size books in a week or so, rather than a month or so.

Just chased up my book delivery.
Got an unconcerned "oh, yeah, it didn't go..."
So they haven't even posted the promised 1/4 of my order (the compromise I agreed so I'd have some hope of at least fulfilling preorders).
My "happy place" seems so far away, if I have to call them again I might just go "Hulk". They don't want to see me when I'm angryconfused.
Day 19 of the promised "7-10 day turnaround" and counting...

The books arrived!
They said they'd send 30 here and 20 to London, instead they sent none to London and 202 herehmm.
Ah well, I now have 2 more books I can sellsmile.

I've used blissetts www.blissetts.com/services/design-print/book-printing and also stroud print www.stroudprint.co.uk/ for short runs of the King of Puddings www.spiderbooks.co.uk/shop/4558087444 and others. Both reliable, helpful companies.

Thanks, I'll let my publisher know those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now