Coping while Waiting

(20 Posts)
ninah Sat 23-Nov-13 11:24:07

what an absolute bummer. So close ... good luck with other publishers. It's a bumpy journey, isn't it!

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 21-Nov-13 09:11:17

Sorry to hear that. thanks
Best of luck with the next one. Bloody but unbowed sounds good.

BitScary Thu 21-Nov-13 08:55:48

brew
You'll get there, Frau. Well done for taking it so well! Would love to hear any further news.

FrauMoose Thu 21-Nov-13 08:21:29

The news was that at the acquistions meeting the sales and marketing posse said no. I am bloody but unbowed. Agent currently pursuing remaining publishers. Will post if anything else happens. Thanks for your interest.

BitScary Wed 20-Nov-13 13:38:28

Oh congratulations FrauMoose, that's so exciting. You're doing so well.

My suggestion is to keep going out for long walks without your phone so that you're not neurotically checking.

I am shit at taking this advice btw.

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 18-Nov-13 16:29:30

Any news, FrauMoose?

I'm out on submission too now. Yikes.

Novelist Mon 11-Nov-13 01:52:46

Congrats! So hope you make it through the acquisitions process. There is nothing like the first book deal!

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the waiting never actually ends. This is a business that is mostly about waiting! And, seriously, I'm not just saying that. My first book came out in 2000 and even though I'm up to book thirteen or something, I feel like I'm constantly waiting. Someone I co-author with from time to time and I have a joke -- that we should develop a workshop called Zen and the Art of Waiting in Publishing.

The best thing you can do while you're waiting? Write the next ms. Otherwise you'll go crazy.

That was cheery, wasn't it?

Good luck!

MooncupGoddess Tue 05-Nov-13 17:11:15

Good luck!

Maybe set a date with the agent for another round of submissions if you haven't heard back from publisher A. Always good to have more than one iron in the fire.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 05-Nov-13 12:19:37

I think I know what the solution is to the 'coping while waiting' problem.
Don't just do NaNo, do NaNo and make your new book one which is really technically difficult using a notoriously hard technique you have never used before.
I am far more worried about my impossible next book than the fate of my last one.

FrauMoose Tue 05-Nov-13 07:19:19

Thanks all. Will let you know...

ninah Tue 05-Nov-13 00:06:04

apologies for the insane grinning. I'm just delighted!

ninah Tue 05-Nov-13 00:05:09

Absolutely. Good luck from me too, FrauMoose grin

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 04-Nov-13 21:40:11

National Novel Writing Month. Writing 50k words of a first draft during November. It's a good distraction....

Good luck, FrauMoose!

FrauMoose Mon 04-Nov-13 21:08:34

Nano?

ninah Mon 04-Nov-13 20:37:09

for the waiting, I prescribe a bit of nano grin

ninah Mon 04-Nov-13 20:35:12

oh I have a gooood feeling about this! x hang on in there

FrauMoose Mon 04-Nov-13 19:04:08

Yes, it is. It is interesting and exciting. But hard - even harder - on the nerves.

GrendelsMum Mon 04-Nov-13 18:56:37

oh my goodness, is this what happens next? I can't cope with just waiting for agents to get back - I've turned into a birdwit with an attention span of 5 mins, constantly checking my email on a Sunday on the off chance that someone is so moved by my novel that they can't stop reading it on their day off.

ninah Mon 04-Nov-13 16:55:35

Never been there yet! blooming well done
is this a name change grin

FrauMoose Mon 04-Nov-13 15:59:21

I am at a fairly advanced stage on the road towards publication. I have an agent and an editor at publishing house has expressed interest. However there are two more significant steps/hurdles. Other people in the editorial team are currently looking at the MS. And if they like it too people from marketing/sales also have to give it the thumbs up. I am finding the waiting process horrible! If other people have been in a similar situation how have they dealt with the wait?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now