The first agent I submitted to

(65 Posts)
LongGoneBeforeDaylight Tue 27-Aug-13 23:32:14

Has requested the full manuscript. It's an enormous agency too. Sent it last week. Hand holding please while I wait?

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 28-Aug-13 08:13:05

Brilliant, congratulations!
Fingers crossed.

What genre is it?

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Wed 28-Aug-13 09:04:11

Women's commercial fiction smile

Summerhasloaded Wed 28-Aug-13 09:08:04

Ooh grin Good luck!

Poledra Wed 28-Aug-13 09:22:41

Fabulous. Remember, you promised I could live vicariously through you, so it's my thrill too grin

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Wed 28-Aug-13 09:22:57

Does anyone have experience of this? Are they likely to call or email if they like it? I am currently obsessively checking email and phone!

Yonihadtoask Wed 28-Aug-13 09:27:00

wow! fingers crossed for you!

aftermay Wed 28-Aug-13 09:33:13

Congratulations! Not my kind of book but there are plenty of readers out there. Have you got the full story at this stage?

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Wed 28-Aug-13 09:35:58

Poledra grin

I hope it's between lit fic and chick lit but perhaps I am delusional...

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Wed 28-Aug-13 09:36:37

Aftermay yes it's all done and with the agent. Weird feeling, am bereft now!

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 28-Aug-13 09:43:56

You might or might not get a quick response now. It could be today, it could be months. If I were you I would keep subbing it to more, even if this is your first choice agency. Then if they don't like it after all you won't feel so crushed, or if they don't reply but you get an offer of rep from someone else you can contact this agency and tell them you've had an offer from someone else which might spur them on to a quicker decision.

I think the most common thing if they want to take it further is to email to arrange a time for a phone call. There do seem to be a few agencies that operate a 'no answer means no' policy even on fulls but this is pretty rare - you should expect to hear something.

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 28-Aug-13 09:44:50

Are you working on your next book? I guess you can't have had time to get very far with it if this is the first agent you've submitted to grin

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Wed 28-Aug-13 09:49:13

The agent ('s assistant, I think) has said they will read it this week, EEK. They also said the person whose list it is is away for two weeks so it may be a while (presumably if the first agent likes it?).

Yes trying to start new book, have an idea, but basically keep opening other novel and finding typos.

Yes should submit to others too, that is one of today's tasks!

thoughtsandall Wed 28-Aug-13 14:07:50

Congrats- everything that is crossible is crossed for you. Keep us posted

GrendelsMum Sat 31-Aug-13 10:43:20

Congratulations!

SirRaymondClench Tue 24-Sep-13 12:22:06

Any news Daylight?

BigPawsBrown Thu 26-Sep-13 02:56:25

It's me under a new name. No news. Don't know if that is good or bad? I am hopeful that the assistant liked it and it's now in her superior's To Read pile. She said she would read it "now" in August so she hasn't rejected me yet... smile

SirRaymondClench Thu 26-Sep-13 07:56:05

I am keeping everything crossed for you!
Are you allowed to ask whats happening or is that considered bad form?

BigPawsBrown Thu 26-Sep-13 13:15:19

Think you have to wait 3 months before chasing up a request for the full. Sigh!

SirRaymondClench Thu 26-Sep-13 13:36:02

I have no patience! I will probably self publish I think.
3 months would kill me but as they say, no news is good news!

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 26-Sep-13 14:00:15

Have you done lots more subs since then?
Is next novel going well?

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 26-Sep-13 14:07:38

Waiting for a response must be torture. At least with exams you know when the results are coming out. I hope you hear soon (and it's good news!)

LaVitaBellissima Thu 26-Sep-13 14:09:23

Good luck, sending positive vibes

MooncupGoddess Thu 26-Sep-13 14:14:29

I'd try a quick, polite chase a month after sending, I think... nothing to lose and it's easy for manuscripts to get buried in to-do piles.

BigPawsBrown Thu 26-Sep-13 23:07:09

Ooh right, in that case I guess I can chase though three months does seen to be the advised time. The agent is quite busy and high profile.

Yes subbed to 12 more since grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now