Punctuating a children's book

(6 Posts)
fackinell Mon 29-Jul-13 23:42:08

I'm an Indie Author and about to self-publish a children's book. It's aimed roughly at 3-6 year olds and from memory, I seem to recall rhyming books tend to use very little or simple punctuation. Can anyone help re. this, please?

doesmyparentinglookbadinthis Tue 30-Jul-13 06:16:27

I'm a bit confused by this. Surely you punctuate as necessary for the text to read correctly? I'm not sure you do it any differently just because it's s children's book.
Perhaps you could grab a few similar rhyming books from your library and take a look at those?

fackinell Tue 30-Jul-13 12:22:04

Thanks, doesmy. I had a look at some amazon freebies last night and they're using commas and full stops. No complex ones like colons etc. I didn't make myself very clear. smile Shall have a saunter to the library tomorrow.

GrendelsMum Tue 30-Jul-13 12:24:09

My instinct would be to stick to commas and full stops in that context, and I have a passion for the colon and the semi-colon.

newmumsuchfun Tue 30-Jul-13 12:34:53

You can either use simple sentences - which would be one clause - no commas. Capital letter at beginning and full stop at the end - no conjunctions. You could substitute full stops for question marks or exclamation marks depending on the sentence.
eg. Where is Spot? He is here! Let's play a game.

Or you could use complex sentences that incorporate two clauses either using a comma or a conjunctive.

My guess would be for 3-6 year olds you should use a mixture of simple and complex - I would use easy conjunctives to link clauses. I certainly wouldnt use any other forms of punctuation or apostrophes which means writing out full words and never using substitutions eg - should not. not shouldn't.

fackinell Tue 30-Jul-13 16:48:38

Fantastic, thanks all. It's kind
Of what I thought I should do but people do love to play grammar police, especially with us indies. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now