Staying focused

(7 Posts)
fackinell Mon 29-Jul-13 23:51:05

No idea how to stay focused but if you find out, please let me know. My distraction is driving me to distraction and I tend to take a break and try again later. It's not really working out for me, though.

TunipTheVegedude Sun 28-Jul-13 21:45:09

There's your problem then. Close the curtains!

My view is wonderful, I am about 200 meters from the shore.
I see tugs, sail boats, cruise ships, submarines, coast guard cutters, the ferry, navy ships, cargo container vessels.
Lovely distractions! grin

ninah Sun 28-Jul-13 19:23:24

I'd carry on writing and leave the rewrites to the end. I envy your view - I think I'd have to face the wall!

Sounds like something I can try, thank you!
I want to write, I just get bogged down sometimes, after writing and re-writing the same stuff. I am really excited for the story line itself, but I find some of my characters become formulaic and stiff, and then their conversation becomes crap.
I just need to keep at it I guess!

TunipTheVegedude Sun 28-Jul-13 16:06:47

You need Write Or Die. It plays scratchy violin music at you if you stop writing.
You can use the online version for free or download the desktop app for £5.

To be honest, though, since deciding in Sept that I really wanted to get on with this writing thing I haven't lacked motivation. I'm 41 (far too old to have still not published a book!), my children interrupt me a lot, so I am pretty good at seizing the moments when they're not. It's the sense of blind panic that does it.

How do you stay focused, not check your emails or Facebook, or get side tracked by dishes and making supper? Every time I get interrupted by requests from the kids, or DH looking for something, or even getting a coffee, it takes me a while to get back on task.
I try having my on space, and closing the door, but even when the rest of the family leaves me be, I can end up staring out the window at ships going by.
I need something that can snap me back to work.
You know, like discipline.blush

How do you stay on task?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now