Factual medical help needed - sensitive topic

(18 Posts)
ImperialBlether Fri 19-Jul-13 13:40:41

I'm just plotting out another novel but I am stuck on one thing.

Is there a medical condition which would mean that a woman couldn't have a termination? I have a situation where someone is pregnant and the obvious choice is for her to have a termination (no religious aspect to the novel) but she can't have it.

I was thinking about problems with blood clotting but I'm not sure whether that would mean you couldn't terminate.

Thanks for your help.

Doinmummy Fri 19-Jul-13 19:28:49

Google Von Willebrands disease

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jul-13 13:06:18

Thanks, Doinmummy; I'll look at that. I'll probably just change the plot a bit if it's going to be too unlikely.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sat 20-Jul-13 13:09:41

If she's found out and is over the legal time limits she'll be unable to have one.

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jul-13 13:20:39

Yes, that's what I'll go with, I think. Just need to rearrange things a little!

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sat 20-Jul-13 13:35:42

Good luck! I think the trick with characters is that the reader should think 'that could be me'. The closer to real life, the better (or this could be how I write so it could be wrong).

chipmonkey Sat 20-Jul-13 13:36:20

Possibly had a bit of spotting around the time of her period, thought she was menstruating and by the time she realised she was pg it was too late?

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sat 20-Jul-13 13:38:32

I had a friend who still had periods whilst she was pregnant.

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jul-13 13:40:02

It's a young girl who's pregnant. I didn't want her to have the choice of abortion (as she would have chosen it) - it was to be a twin pregnancy. However, the problem there was that the pregnancy would be much more obvious as it's twins. By making it a single baby, I can have it that she's left it too late. And yes, I agree, LadyMary, that's what I like to do, too! (Though I have no experience of twin pregnancies or early teens pregnancies!)

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sat 20-Jul-13 13:45:33

Have you looked into cases where the woman doesn't know that she's pregnant until she delivers? I've met a lot of teen mums (was a student paeds nurse for a while), their bodies are going through so many changes due to puberty that they just don't notice until their mums spot a growing bump.

chipmonkey Sat 20-Jul-13 17:29:36

More likely to get bleeding in a twin pregnancy though.

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jul-13 19:39:29

I think that's the way it will play out, LadyMary.

chipmonkey, I think I'll have to avoid the twin pregnancy malarkey as it would be noticed much earlier on.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sat 20-Jul-13 19:55:29

My obs and gynae experience isn't huge but you're welcome to give me a shout if there's anything you need. smile

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jul-13 20:05:16

Thanks very much! I pretty much have the back story (with all this in) plotted out but now I have to think of the main story. I hate thinking up the plot - once I have it in my head, even just a sentence, I'm on a roll, but this bit is painful.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sat 20-Jul-13 20:11:38

I like plotting. I'm probably not so great at the writing part though! grin

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Jul-13 13:10:27

You're not in the NW are you, LadyMary? I'd love to have a good plotting session! I find it much better when I can bounce ideas off someone.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sun 21-Jul-13 13:11:53

I'm in the East Midlands but you know me as a lovely chocolat on twitter! grin

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Jul-13 13:22:42

Just realised! I didn't know you'd changed your name to this. Just replied to your PM, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now