Do you write under your own name or a pseudonym?

(4 Posts)
MiddleEnglish Mon 25-Feb-13 13:33:31

Just curious about what other people do. Is it better to use your own name, or maiden name, or a pseudonym for your writing? I know sometimes people use a different name for a different style or genre. I think what I'm most bothered about is preserving some anonymity/keeping my writing life separate from my personal life. I submit to mainly online publications at the moment, and my reluctance to use my own name online generally also makes me cautious about using it for my writing. I'd be interested to hear what others think about this!

TunipTheVegedude Mon 25-Feb-13 16:42:54

I've published stories under my own name. If I ever publish a novel I will also use my own name, so that my enemies will see it and gnash their teeth.

I think it depends what you are writing tbh. A friend of mine is a feminist blogger who has been approached by a number of 'real' publications asking her to do articles, and she uses a pseudonym because of the crap that women who write about feminism get ('I know where you live' type rape threats etc).

MiddleEnglish Mon 25-Feb-13 21:17:16

Thanks Tunip. I don't think I will ever publish anything controversial. It does make me uneasy though, that the internet makes it so easy to find out information about you, so why put yourself out there? It seems counterintuitive.

LisaMed Tue 12-Mar-13 17:57:44

Anyone who wants to can probably find out exactly where I live, where I go and even what I have had for breakfast.

I write under a pseudonym because my own name is pants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now