How much to get my book professionally edited?

(4 Posts)
discotequewreck Mon 18-Feb-13 18:34:31

I am thinking of self-publishing but would like my book edited first. How much does this cost and where would I look for such a service?

Cost depends on the level of editing you require and the size of the book. For a full-size manuscript you could be looking at few hundred.

Also, the editing 'shops' like Cornerstones are more expensive than a good independent as they have overheads like offices, staff etc.

DH writes and, if you did want to try an independent for a quote first, recommends a chap called Terry Edge. Apparently he's 'robust' but really knows his stuff.

Punkatheart Tue 19-Feb-13 18:44:24

Technically copy-editing is roughly £23-25 per hour. Proofreading - where less is needed, is £20 per hour. They are tricky skills. Well done for getting it edited - there is so much available on Kindle that is shockingly flung together. I am sure that a professional presentation would make all the difference.

newgirl Wed 06-Mar-13 23:33:00

I'm an editor - I've worked for the major publishers for 20 years. Not sure how you find someone reputable on a freelance basis. People per hour might come up w someone but not sure how good they are really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now