Who wants to join me in starting to write a novel in 2013?

(212 Posts)
milk Fri 21-Dec-12 09:37:34

As subject says: Who wants to join me in starting to write a novel in 2013?

I thought we could push each other on to get it finished smile Similar to a losing weight thread, except it would be for gaining words grin

Yay- have finished first draft of my travel book- only 63K words and it's complete shite but it's there!

TunipTheVegedude Mon 21-Jan-13 19:50:35

Congratulations FiveHoursSleep! grin

What now? Do come and join us on the revising and editing thread. It's a hellish process very supportive thread.

Thank you grin
Will pop over and take a look later but I think I'm going to do the first draft of the second part of the trip first.
It'll be quite short as we were only there for 5 days, but we packed a lot in.

InsomniaQueen Wed 23-Jan-13 03:18:57

Congratulations fivehourssleep - what an achievement

Right now I've gone off the boil, although I have my research, scene plotting and character profiles I am feeling a little bit too sad to write 'happily ever after'. So I've decided to write a little about my life over the last year. I don't think anyone will want to read it but I feel like right now that's the thing cramming my brain with thoughts and until I get that out I won't be able to move forward.

How is everyone else getting on?

Congratulations, fivehours!

I've written about 600 words on Tuesday, but I'm having trouble with the plotting, and think I lost momentum... Have to fix the plot holes so I can continue - I'll have to re-write almost everything I have until now, and I don't want to do that before I have a clear ending.

God, that's hard sad

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 25-Jan-13 14:06:26

I have cheated. I'm meant to be on the editing thread, but it was too hard so I have decided to write a new book instead.

Great start with over a 1000 words today - lets see if I can keep the momentum going.

Schroedingersdodo I may be going over old ground here, but I don't know if you have read No plot No Problem. I found it a great book as it was very encouraging about keeping going until you have a first draft done and then worrying about what you need to change.

Of course thats maybe how I have managed to get into problems with my first book as now having to go back to some of what I have written which needs substantial editing is a wee bit too hard for me !

It is however a great method for keeping the momentum and enthusiasm going. I like the idea of the plot, it seems like an interesting and sustainable idea.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 26-Jan-13 09:20:47

Hurrah - I managed to get to 2700 last night, always have loads of oomph at the start, its the tricky middle bits that do my head in.

Stopped now to write the synopsis. Having fun figuring out where in the US to set the second half - then I can get distracted by planning imaginary holidays do some research on the place.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 27-Jan-13 10:51:47

Is it word count today or have I killed the thread?

No further for me as i was doing synopsis yesterday, but I'm hoping to do a bit more today so if I push myself and keep off mumsnet I might get to 5000 but more realistically 4000 I would think.

Can I join?
I'm writing a young adult short story, sort of like the original Grimm stories, called "the Strangeling's Tales"
Current word count 9900, aiming for around 30,000.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 27-Jan-13 18:47:06

Of course you can join Inmysparetime - welcome.

Up to 4500 - half way between my likely outcome of 4000 and my aspirational goal of 5000 so very pleased and first chapter finished.

I don't usually get too much done Mon - Thu as I'm at work, but I'm doing a work trip on Tuesday so if I bring my notepad I might get some done then.

When do people find themselves at their most productive?

I write best on Wednesdays, when I'm on top of the housework and social media, and DCs are both in after school clubs until after 4pm. Most days I'll write a few hundred words, last Wednesday I wrote 1700!

TunipTheVegedude Sun 27-Jan-13 19:50:26

With me it's more to do with where I am in a project. I start slowly and speed up.

Otherwise, I write best when I have childcare or when the children leave me alone.

literarygeek Mon 28-Jan-13 11:03:05

Can I join in a bit late? [hopeful new girl emoticon]

wordfactory Mon 28-Jan-13 12:13:35

I've made a good start on my new project.
18,000 words that I'm more or less happy with.

Good writing day today, 900 words on takes it to 10,800, it was great breaking through the 10k barrier.
I sorted the formatting too, inserting bookmarks and hyperlinks to make the story more navigable on e-readers.

tinselahohoho Mon 28-Jan-13 13:12:04

Well, I did the prologue when I got back from hols, but nothing since. Like someone earlier, I do feel it's all there in my head - but everything else seems to take priority. I write for a living anyway, but not fiction and not for me, so I'm spending all day on proposals, edits, drafts etc, but I do want to find the time for this; have told myself if I don't do it this year, I've to stop going on about it hmm.

Typical! After such a good day yesterday I got barely 300 words done today. I sent a chapter to a friend for Beta reading, he loves it, which is encouraging, now I just need the rest to fall into place. It's starting to feel like a book more than a collection of separate stories, I can see the final shape, I just need to work out how to get there.

I really want to, but at the moment I'm on an MSc course, and the little free time I have is dedicated to studying.

I have THREE novels in the pipeline - got various notes, scenes and bits & bobs for all....

Can I join NEXT year?

(But can I watch this thread to see how you all get on?)

theoriginalandbestrookie Wed 30-Jan-13 14:55:59

Inmysparetime - I often find that if I have a very productive day, I have a less productive one the day after - I think my brain runs out of creativity ! I got some done on my trip yesterday, but I was that flippin exhausted I'm not sure about the quality, will find out when I type it up. Great that your friend loves your chapter, always such a boost to get any encouragement.

NotGeoff - welcome to the thread , I'm hoping you don't find us all still here with our unfinished novels this time next year !

A better day today, 800 words, I'm now just shy of 11,900 total, words still coming easily.
I was always cynical that "everyone has a book in them", but this one feels like it wants to be written, like I'm just letting it existgrin.

JohnSnowsTie Thu 31-Jan-13 14:22:16

Can I just thank whoever recommended the Snowflake Method. I totally heart you. thanks

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 31-Jan-13 20:50:54

Hurrah. This week hasn't been great as I had to fly with work and it meant an early start so I didn't sleep well the night before. I wrote a bit on the plane and airport and then did a bit more today. I thought that I had only written about 1000 words but then I typed it up and it was 2600 so I'm now up to 7100 and hoping to fit a bit more in whilst I wait for my highlights to cook tomorrow at the hairdressers,

Good news inmysparetime - sunds like you are making real progress.

I'm up to 12,500 now, hope to get it over 13k by the weekend, but keep getting enquiries for me to do storytelling sessions. Once I've worked out negotiations on those (and actually secured some income for a changegrin) I can get more writing done. I sent my book so far to my kindle and took it to a cafe I was visiting, where my friends looked at it and found mistakes I'd missed. They liked the story, and were emotionally engaged with the characters, which is always encouraging!

Inmysparetime, that does sound encouraging!

Johnsnow, is the snowflake method working for you then? I don't like it personally but I can see how it would work. The only thing I've taken away from that is the character development. I always do a little biography of my characters before I start writing.

I've had a pretty good week. I've been using Write or Die, just the free version, and am up to 5000 words. Usually I will write, then delete half of it or start fiddling around and not getting anyway so I am feeling pretty pleased with myself right now grin

TunipTheVegedude Sat 02-Feb-13 09:53:00

25 Things you should know about writing a novel

I came across this blogpost this morning, thought people on here might enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now