Anyone use Scrivener and would you recommend it?

(10 Posts)
MmeGuillotine Tue 01-Jan-13 20:38:25

Scrivener is amazing. I write historical fiction as well and find it invaluable for keeping myself organised as I have copious amounts of notes and research going on all the time. It's especially good for me as I tend to have three or four projects on the go at the same time so it helps me keep them all sorted. smile

Good luck!

TunipTheVegedude Sat 22-Dec-12 10:54:38

Thanks Brock. I'm slowly getting my head round it. I think it's going to really help! smile

brockthebadger Fri 21-Dec-12 22:47:14

This is brilliant for talking you through Scrivener - Writing a Novel with Scrivener by David Hewson

TunipTheVegedude Thu 20-Dec-12 12:35:28

Thanks GrendelsMum.

OK, I've gone for it smile
Now trying to work my way through the interactive tutorial with ds2 climbing on my legs and demanding I read him the Billygoats Gruff!

GrendelsMum Wed 19-Dec-12 21:42:19

It's the best thing in the world - seriously, it makes a massive difference. I wrote my first two novels in Word, and Scrivener has transformed things.

Give yourself an early christmas present and buy it!

BsshBossh Tue 18-Dec-12 21:22:57

I didn't start using it till the fifth (my current) draft but found it a useful exercise to transfer all the research documents, character notes docs, chapter scenes (copy & pasted every single one into Scrivener!) before I began the fifth edit. Has made the edit much easier, from a technical and organsational perspective. Just don't get too hung up on the software and what you can do with it - the actual writing comes first!

TunipTheVegedude Tue 18-Dec-12 18:18:57

Thanks BsshBossh.

I'm still thinking about it. I don't know how much organisation it's all going to take - probably it'll become clear as I progress with the 2nd draft.

BsshBossh Mon 17-Dec-12 21:30:41

It doesn't help with the actual quality of your writing, but it helps with all the organisational stuff.

BsshBossh Mon 17-Dec-12 21:29:30

I love it as it keeps all my research, plan, character notes, chapter summaries, scenes in one space and only a single click away. I put each scene in it's own section so editing and cross-referencing is very easy. I love it, actually!

TunipTheVegedude Sat 08-Dec-12 18:26:27

That's it really.
I have a lot of notes because I'm writing historical fiction. I have a first draft now and it is going to need a lot of editing. Just wondering if special software might help.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now