abuse survivor memoir - ghost writer wanted

(16 Posts)
Novelist Fri 12-Oct-12 01:31:48

I'm an Aussie author, fortunaballoona. I have a friend who's done a bit of ghostwriting for major Australian publishers, though she usually writes for the glossies. Are you able to DM/PM me (whatever they call it around here...)?

fortunaballoona Thu 11-Oct-12 13:58:22

Ooh, I don't like attention - and it's not my story. Gladys is another matter grin

Punkatheart Thu 11-Oct-12 13:51:06

Ah now that is different. If a publisher is on board - it's a completely different scenario. Why don't you like the idea of your name on the book, fortuna? Is it Gladys Shufflebottom? grin

fortunaballoona Thu 11-Oct-12 12:04:36

But you get the money from the publisher wink. I would never charge for this sort of project.

Also, not getting my name on the book is a bonus!

Punkatheart Thu 11-Oct-12 11:13:29

Don't charge? Oh dear. The only time I do that is for friends and they often return the favour by getting me work. I don't do it very often. Ghost writing can be a tough job, depending on how much work is involved. I don't actually know any aussie writers - but I certainly don't know anyone who will not accept payment for such a big project. Ghost writers don't get their names on books, so what on earth do they get from it? I don't want to be rude but asking a stranger to do it for nothing is cheeky. Also, she would need a professional.

Good luck LadySybilde...

LadySybildeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 18:03:03

You have to learn how to say 'no, I'm sorry,' you can do it! I know a few Ausie authors, so I'll ask them later if they know anyone and get back to you.

smile It's exciting, yet nerve wracking. The picture book is ready to go back, it only needed a few adjustments, but then again I've no idea if she'll think that it's better or not. I should sort the novel out and send them both back, maybe. I have a couple of new plots, and want to get cracking on these.

fortunaballoona Wed 10-Oct-12 15:13:19

I sort of am, but I have so many to do before I get a clear run at anything else. I'm rubbish at saying 'no' to people and then when a new one comes out, more people get in touch, and the rubbish at saying 'no' thing kicks in again.

Maybe you're right about the difference in market, because I just don't know it at all. I know if she was UK-based, I could get her a contract tomorrow. Problem is everyone she has contacted close to her wants to be paid upfront and she just can't afford that. I just thought there might be someone here as there seem to be a lot of posters who aren't UK - maybe I should have thought of an AIBU so someone would see it!

That's great that you have two on the go and that you have interest in both - congratulations!

LadySybildeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 15:07:35

It could possibly not be right for the Australian market, hence why she can't find someone to write it?

Bloody book! A rather large publisher has been sitting on the picture book for months. I have do an agent interested though, she called me over the weekend and gave me some feedback. I've done some work on it and now I'm debating when to send it back to her. She liked my novel, I have to do a lot of work on that though. Not bad for 2 years work I suppose. I'm on here, trying to work out how the Governments changes are going to affect my business venture considering I earn pittance at the moment. It's all confused I thought you were moving away from the ghost writing?

fortunaballoona Wed 10-Oct-12 15:02:22

Well, I don't charge!

She's tried to find someone on her own, but no luck.

Think I 'knew' you when I used to spend ages on MN - is your book out yet?

LadySybildeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 14:36:44

I'm part of a group which writes picture books, most of the other members are in Australia and it's a very different market to the UK. They seem to submit plots that I wouldn't consider writing (morals etc), but seem to get some luck with them over there. She'd be better off finding someone in Aus.

You may struggle to find someone who doesn't charge. wink

fortunaballoona Wed 10-Oct-12 14:14:10

Guess the woman herself could do that if she wanted to - think she wants something based more on personal links, so I thought if there was anyone here that would be better as I could chat to them first maybe? I know that this woman is willing to come over so that I can do it, but I still wouldn't know the market so it wouldn't work that way either.

So, all I need is someone who doesn't charge, has a great track record, lots of experience, lives on the other side of the world, and has a space in their workload. Not much to ask!

LadySybildeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 12:59:15

It's really useful. wink

fortunaballoona Wed 10-Oct-12 12:51:12

I don't 'do' Twitter grin - would just be something else to distract me. MN takes priority for that!

LadySybildeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 12:47:39

I've no idea. Have you tried the Aussie authors on Twitter? They may know someone.

fortunaballoona Wed 10-Oct-12 12:43:46

Obviously it's not creative writing but I can't see where else to put this sort of request!

fortunaballoona Wed 10-Oct-12 12:42:50

Hi -

Is anyone here an Australian ghost writer or do they know the Australian market well?

I'm a UK ghost writer and have recently been contacted by someone who wants me to do her survivor memoir for mass market publishing. I don't know the Australian market at all so it's not the right project for me - this person has tried to find someone to no avail, and I'd really like to help point her in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now