NaNoWriMo

(375 Posts)
EmpressOfTheGoldFlames Fri 07-Sep-12 11:19:01

Hello

Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year?
I'm going to start it at least & hopefully finish it. I've got characters swirling around in my head at the moment & some glimpse of a possible plot...

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Sun 25-Nov-12 15:11:33

I'm not going to make it to 50.
The last few days have been a washout really. But it doesn't matter, I started late and thought at first I wanted to do at least 25, so anything over that is a bonus.
If I can get to 40 I'll be very pleased.

GrendelsMum Sun 25-Nov-12 16:09:26

Oh, sorry to hear you won't reach 50, Tunip - after you challenged me to hit 60k, too!. But I'll be cheering you on to hit 40 on Friday evening - best of luck!

GrendelsMum Sun 25-Nov-12 16:10:59

No, keep going Engelsmama, and keep aiming for that 50,000 - you'll be so chuffed when you manage it!

This is not a finished novel by any means (or very unlikely to be) - the point is that this is a short first draft of a novel for you then to work on from January 2013 on. Imagine - you'll have the first draft of your novel by Friday pm!

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sun 25-Nov-12 17:53:25

thanks all.

Loops I haven't read DDs work yet, but she is a very good writer and very imaginative, so I'm hoping it will be good - although will need a good edit. She has cancer, so I'm really pleased she's done this as it has done wonders for her often low self esteem.

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sun 25-Nov-12 19:12:39

Apparently she's now at 51.5k.

Let editing commence! grin

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Sun 25-Nov-12 19:19:55

That's really impressive Kinky. Loads of teenagers start novels but getting to so many words is really unusual - I certainly never did at that age!

Engelsemama Sun 25-Nov-12 19:42:29

Kinky tell your DD that there is an English teacher here struggling to do as well as she is!

Well, you ladies have given me the kick up the bum I needed. have just done another 2,000 so that's 4,000 today. Going to have a break now, but will maybe come back to it and send DH off to bed on his own.

Am on 34,600 so only 1400 short of the taregt I set myself for the weekend to be in with a realistic chance of getting to 50,000.

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sun 25-Nov-12 20:31:39

She lives with one who is struggling to do more than 2000 words, Engels grin. In my eyes, you are doing brilliantly.

Engelsemama Sun 25-Nov-12 21:48:41

The pressure is on and it seeme to have worked. Just done another 1400 to bring me up to 36,000, so reaced my own target for the weekend.

have done 5,500 today shock That's more than my combined total in the last week!

I can do this! Going to bed now (past my bedtime here in mainland Europe) but I live to write another day grin

Engelsemama Mon 26-Nov-12 13:13:29

Powering through (or was, but DS has just woken up so will have to wait a few hours now). On 38,600. Would like to do another 1400 today to get me up to 40,000 before bed tonight.

I really hope I can make it - 2500 per day then (though only have evenings for the next 3 days).

Engelsemama Mon 26-Nov-12 13:14:16

Aargh, and have just realised we're going out on Friday night for sinterklaas.

When is the cut off? Is it midnight wherever you are or midnight USA?

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Mon 26-Nov-12 13:44:32

Engelsemama, that is just brilliant. At one point before the weekend we were neck and neck (well you were 500 ahead of me). Now you are more than 10,000 ahead grin You are soooo going to do this!

But mine is moving again now so I don't mind. No forward motion is a lot worse than slow forward motion.

LoopsInHoops Mon 26-Nov-12 14:59:24

Midnight wherever you are. I'm regretting putting my real (SE Asia) loaction now!

Still on target, 43500. smile

Well done everyone, we're getting there!

Does anyone think theirs is any good? I daren't re-read it in case I hate it!

Penelope1980 Mon 26-Nov-12 18:57:13

wow am impressed with some of you, esp engels! My attempt petered out a little so now am hoping for 20,000 new words - bringing my total to 40,000. I don't think I was properly able to get into the spirit of NaNo and the lack of editing thing, probably because the process and pain of editing my first novel earlier in the year (which, I recently submitted for an assessment, eeeek) is still fresh so wasn't able to surrender to literary abandon in quite the same way! At 37,000 words am not even half way through my novel as well so suspect it will be a longer haul as well hmm

<humour my attempts to justify slackness to self>

GrendelsMum Mon 26-Nov-12 18:59:28

No, it's sodding awful, but at least i'm still on target!

TunipTheVegedude Mon 26-Nov-12 19:02:53

Mine is a pile of crap. I haven't lost faith that this general plot and this characters and these themes could make a good novel, it's just the one I have half written isn't it!

That's ok though isn't it? The frustration will come when I'm on the fourth draft and it still isn't anywhere approaching the platonic form I have in mind.
Will there be a NaNoWriMo veterans thread to jolly each other along with subsequent drafts?

Engelsemama Mon 26-Nov-12 19:22:47

okay, am on 40,000 with 4 days to go shock Have done nearly 10,000 in the last 48 hours. Not going to be quite so easy being on a course for work the next 3 days.

hoping I can pull it out of my hat (and that my rotten cold goes away).

I suffer from teenage-itis. I spend so much time writing with and for teenagers (secondary school teacher), than am convinced I sound like one now. I feel like I have a good 'tale', but I think on re-reading I will find that I need to branch out a bit with my language.

Veterans thread sounds like a great idea Tunip smile

My brain is fried now. Almost ready for bed grin

FlyingAardvark Mon 26-Nov-12 19:46:44

Mine started off well but feels jumpy now, still something to work with though. I've already had ideas on how to change it and make it a better story, it will probably end up completely different to the nano version.

I'm at 41k, hoping to get some more done tonight, feeling more positive about getting it finished now.

GrendelsMum Mon 26-Nov-12 21:37:08

48k - feeling very positive!

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Tue 27-Nov-12 07:52:01

I suffer from teenage-itis. I spend so much time writing with and for teenagers (secondary school teacher), than am convinced I sound like one now.

I feel your pain, Engels. This is what stalls me when I write. I might just write for YA.

Everyone is doing so well. Here, have a very early wine.

GrendelsMum Tue 27-Nov-12 08:45:15

Everyone's doing brilliantly - led by KinkyDorito's daugher, who's an example to us all! thanks all round.

DH suggested a great plot twist that I've now run with, with the result that my main character seems to be off her rocker / severely psychically disturbed. She's just had some near hallucinations and is now sobbing in a morgue. Which is great fun for me.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 27-Nov-12 10:46:27

I think I'm totally out of it now sad

I shut my finger in the door this morning - quite badly though it's actually just a small cut - lots of blood, vomiting, fainting and pain. I'm finding it hard to type now so going v slowly.

GM, morgue scene sounds ace!

GrendelsMum Tue 27-Nov-12 12:41:29

Oh, so sorry to hear that, Tunip.

You know, I think we should have some sort of Nanowrimo Secret Santa to congratulate everyone who's made it through. Everyone sends the next person on the list a bar of chocolate!

LoopsInHoops Tue 27-Nov-12 13:21:29

Or a first draft to proofread?!

GrendelsMum Tue 27-Nov-12 22:48:06

Yey! That's 50,000 words done. I've validated the novel on the site so that it's all done but will keep going for the next few days to see if I can reach 55,000

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now