NaNoWriMo

(375 Posts)
EmpressOfTheGoldFlames Fri 07-Sep-12 11:19:01

Hello

Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year?
I'm going to start it at least & hopefully finish it. I've got characters swirling around in my head at the moment & some glimpse of a possible plot...

Engelsemama Thu 22-Nov-12 20:41:51

Thanks for the encouragement grendelsmum smile

had a bit of a wobble last night so did nothing (again) but have just done 2,000 words so now on 28,000. Have to write an average of 2,400 per day to win - I can do it!

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 21:06:20

Engelsemama, I'll race you. I'm 500 words behind you right now (having failed to do anything tonight because my kids are still making a row and dh is away so I keep having to run upstairs to sort the little buggers out hmm)

I reckon we can do it. What are you writing about?

GrendelsMum Thu 22-Nov-12 21:31:46

A race, a race!

Right, you've challenged me - I'm going to settle down and do another 700 words tonight <good excuse not to clean the bathroom>

GrendelsMum Thu 22-Nov-12 21:58:11

Right, thanks to encouragement on here I did another writing session and have just hit the 40,000 word mark with a thrilling chase scene.

Also I seem to have killed off one of my characters. I thought she was just severely wounded and unconscious but I think she may actually be dead.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 21:59:50

Oh no! Poke her and see if she makes a noise.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 22:01:13

Could you get to 60k by the end GrendelsMum? I'm thinking 50 may be a little unambitious for you wink

GrendelsMum Thu 22-Nov-12 22:19:10

Well, maybe 55,000 if I keep up!

Engelsemama Fri 23-Nov-12 13:09:01

Back from spending half my day off at work in meetings sad .

Okay, Tunip - that's got to spur me on!

I am writing a YA suspense novel about a young teacher who returns to the area she grew up in after the tragic suicide of her husband abroad. She gets a job at a prestigious boys school, but things do not go to plan. She gets the feeling that all is not as it seems. Cue lots of creepy weather, bleak countryside, spooky goings on, things that go bump in the night, weird (and evil) colleagues, trying to solve multiple mysteries and at the end (when I get there) a thrilling (I hope) life and death situation.

But it all ends happily ever after grin

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Fri 23-Nov-12 13:36:53

That sounds really intriguing Engelsemama. I would love to read it when it's done.

I have wasted the morning too - I have pulled something in my back due to too long sitting at my desk in an inappropriate chair (this ancient elm ladderback thingy I got at an auction). After a morning of hot baths and lying on the floor I'm back at my desk now, on a more sensible chair, but I only have an hour till schoolrun time.

Engelsemama Fri 23-Nov-12 13:43:29

DS is still asleep so am trying to do some now (done 500 so far) and then I will crack on tonight with some wine to help me on my way. Do not have much on this weekend (and no schoolwork to do) so will be using naptimes and evenings to write on, and perhaps disappear upstairs for a few hours and leave DH with DS a bit to try and catch up.

I need to get few days of 3,000 in I reckon.

Am on a course next week and will have laptop with me, so wondering whether I can do some sneaky writing inbetween -and maybe during-- sessions blush

Engelsemama Fri 23-Nov-12 14:20:46

Done 1,000. grin

Engelsemama Fri 23-Nov-12 15:40:13

Okay, managed 1500 this afternoon. Am cracking on tonight once DS is in bed. I really want to be on at least 36,000 by the end of the weekend.

LoopsInHoops Fri 23-Nov-12 16:43:55

40k grin

Engelsemama Fri 23-Nov-12 17:58:45

Well done Loops

I am hoping to be on 30,000 in the next 25 mins!

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Fri 23-Nov-12 18:09:38

Yay, go you!
I have 3 manic children and the stove repair man so not much chance of writing for a bit....

GrendelsMum Fri 23-Nov-12 18:43:09

Yay! Go for it!

I am currently constructing 24 reindeer cupcakes for the Church Advent fete tomorrow morning, and DH is insisting on reindeer quality control. Reindeer must have piped eyes and muzzles, chocolate pupils in their eyes, jelly bean noses, and chocolate pretzel antlers.

There may not be much writing today...

Engelsemama Fri 23-Nov-12 18:47:34

Okay, so took me slightly longer than 25 minutes but have finally broken 30,000.

Now time for vino methinks.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Fri 23-Nov-12 19:13:53

Well done Engelsemama, it will be well-deserved vino.

GrendelsMum, sounds like literature's loss will be Christmas-themed cake decoration's gain smile

FlyingAardvark Sat 24-Nov-12 22:43:18

I'm starting to think I wont make it to 50k, I'm on 39k now but working overtime which means less studying time and even less writing time. So may only have two more days to get 11000 words done hmm

I'm hoping that knowing what I'm writing will help me, whereas last year I just pantsed it at the end.

GrendelsMum Sat 24-Nov-12 22:54:00

Fingers crossed for you, Flying Aardvark. That's a big challenge, but still just about do-able.

I'm on a roll today and hit 44k. Six days to go!

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sun 25-Nov-12 12:04:09

DD has 2.5k to go to 50,000.

I am in awe of her, and a bit ashamed of my own lack of enthusiasm.

GrendelsMum Sun 25-Nov-12 12:18:28

Congratulations to your DD, KinkyDorito - that's a great achievement. No wonder you're so proud!

LoopsInHoops Sun 25-Nov-12 12:18:31

Well done Kinky's DD! That's amazing! Have you read it yet?

Engelsemama Sun 25-Nov-12 13:47:11

Wow Kinky - that's fantastic.

Well done grendelsmum

Keep going aardvark - you're ahead of me!

I'm starting to wonder if I'll make it. id din't write yesterday. have managed 2,000 so far today but DS will be awake soon. I need to average 3,000 per day to get done. Am on 32,500 and 'should be' on 41,000 at the end of today. Have to bang out another 3,500 to get to my target for the weekend hmm

Maybe I should think about a late night tonight - it's not as if I have to work tomorrow confused

I'm torn between really going for it and calling it a day (not with the novel but reaching 50,000).

Also, what happenes if I reach 50,000 and it's not finished? Should I just submit it anyway (as Part one!).

LoopsInHoops Sun 25-Nov-12 13:50:00

I doubt any will be ready at 50K. It's just for word count verification. I fully intend to keep going with mine for a few months afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now