writing dialect - how

(3 Posts)
Alurkatsoftplay Sun 17-Jun-12 12:48:50

I agree with Camel, the finer nuances can be done in the re-write, best to just concentrate on getting it down.
It might help to remember that dialogue doesn't have to be exactly as spoken, it's more just a 'representation' of how people speak...

BetterOnACamel Tue 12-Jun-12 16:13:13

I would say forge on, esp. if you're in the flow of it - don't let that get you stuck. If you feel it's necessary to have an 'authentic' voice/accent in there, during later re-write you could research/ask someone for assistance in rendering the dialogue accordingly.

drxerox Tue 12-Jun-12 16:10:11

I would like to write a historical novel (I know a bit about the subject) but everytime I start I realise that I can't write speech how it would actually been said (i.e. the country dialect). Should I just forge on and not think about it (after all, I can't think of many historical novelists who bother with this)? I know that this sounds quite precious, but it's really holding me up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now