Garda strike next Friday

(7 Posts)
Amber76 Sun 30-Oct-16 10:41:50

How on earth is this going to work?

What if there is a serious road crash? What happens if you are a victim of crime that day??
Will some people chance having an extra drink or two and drive as they know there won't be checkpoints?
Will airports close due to immigration Guards not working?

I think the Guards are underpaid and deserve pay increase/restoration. Its terrible that they have had to resort to this.

I 100% support the Guards but i'll be staying at home next friday if this goes ahead!

Any thoughts?

hollyisalovelyname Tue 01-Nov-16 08:17:29

€23,000 starting salary for a Garda who puts his/ her life on the line walking down the street in uniform is appalling.
Particularly in light of the €5000 increase to politicians.
How can they justify it?

honeyrider Wed 02-Nov-16 01:23:50

I'm 100% behind the gardai, it's shocking how the new recruits are treated.

My2centsworth Wed 02-Nov-16 01:30:06

A bit worried now. I didn't think it would happen. I am fully behind the guards too. A friend of ours just got a pretty senior promotion. He got €10/month onto his monthly pay. I was looking at the pay scales after he was telling us. They are miserable. All the seriously unsocialsble hours and the pay is awful.

MsHaveNaiceHam Wed 02-Nov-16 21:43:10

I was thinking about this earlier....what happens if I am out at work and someone breaks in to my home? OR breaks in that evening?

I imagine there must be some contingency that provides emergency cover (as nurses do at strike time).
But then, a huge amount of what they do is dealing with crises/emergencies.

I think we are really lucky in this country to have a force that is mainly honest and reliable and hard working.
For what they earn, the risks they take are ridiculous.
I'd prefer to see them have a pay raise before our politicians.

But, if the Govt cave on this one, surely there is a queue of other "worthy" groups behind them- I suspect that is why the Govt is going so close to the wire with them.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 04-Nov-16 12:32:05

Phew!

FarAwayHills Sat 05-Nov-16 17:17:29

I don't understand the hate that people have for the gardai. This has been fuelled by the media casting them as greedy with fat state pensions. What they don't realise is they do loads of unpaid overtime, pay huge taxes and also contribute substantially to their pension. There aren't many in the private sector that would put up with these conditions and the abuse for what they take home. Lots of begrudery as usual.

Great post from a Dublin guard
theliberal.ie/must-read-a-garda-from-dublin-just-wrote-this-very-powerful-message-on-facebook-which-is-now-going-viral/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now