Brexit Concerns

(13 Posts)
FarAwayHills Mon 03-Oct-16 14:53:39

So it's full steam ahead for Brexit. Still no reassurances for Irish people living in the U.K. or those living and working either side of the border. I'm not sure Mrs May gives a hoot about NI either she's barely mentioned it. I understand she wants to play her cards close to her chest but isn't it just a bit unfair to use people as bargaining chips and leave them in limbo for the next 2 years.

lalalonglegs Mon 03-Oct-16 15:54:38

I think you're right, she doesn't care very much about NI - or, at least, she has calculated that her voters don't care very much so it's not something to worry her.

And, yes, completely unfair that people who have made their lives in the UK could be asked to leave but I think that will be a theoretical danger. I cannot imagine the government expecting 3 million-plus EU nationals to suddenly pack up and go - I expect that many of them will, sadly, decide to anyway as they no longer have any desire to live in a xenophobic and potentially economically declining country.

MarDhea Mon 03-Oct-16 19:07:54

many of them will, sadly, decide to anyway as they no longer have any desire to live in a xenophobic and potentially economically declining country.

YY to this. I don't want to live here any more and am actively job hunting in other parts of Europe as well as in Ireland. sad

FarAwayHills Mon 03-Oct-16 19:34:36

I think my mum is secretly saying novenas that Teresa May will ask me to leavegrin

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 04-Oct-16 11:15:06

Mine too! grin

Decorhate Wed 05-Oct-16 06:36:15

Agree that they are unlikely to force any EU nationals to leave but the tone of the Conservative Party Conference is so xenophobic I hate to think what the country will be like in a few years time.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 05-Oct-16 10:37:58

So true Decorhate. When the Tory conference is coming out with proposals like asking companies to release figures on the number of international staff they employ, well it's all a bit depressing isn't it?

FarAwayHills Wed 05-Oct-16 21:28:44

It's the awkward conversations when people are discussing Brexit moaning about migrants etc. and then they go 'oh no we don't mean you'hmm

user1471134011 Thu 06-Oct-16 11:50:46

I know! I actively remind people I'm a migrant now. One of them. Yesterday I offered to wear a shamrock on my lapel in case it would help identify my foreignyness for them ☘
I don't recognise the UK as the country I came to 10 years ago.

Cloeycat Thu 06-Oct-16 15:14:57

Another concern I have is for Britons in Ireland and their ability to get work. I am hoping to move back home with my English partner and baby eventually, but i worry he won't be allowed to work in Ireland if it comes to it that we aren't allowed to work in the U.K. anymore.

Carriemac Wed 12-Oct-16 09:25:09

I know -its the anti migrant 'but we dont mean you' rhetoric that I really dislike.
I hope to encounter some senior cabinet members in A&E some time and see them survive without being treated by non EU staff

NotAMammy Sat 15-Oct-16 16:18:49

Oh god yes to the 'but you don't count' response when you call people out on their xenophobia. I'm still not sure if it's because they think that Ireland is actually part of the UK and they are just humouring us by letting us think that we're not, or because the colour of our skin is the same as theirs. (For me, at least)
I think my Mam is torn between the fear of what Brexit will do and the joy over the rate of sterling and the chance that we might be forced to move home!

libertydoddle Sun 16-Oct-16 17:55:23

My folks are hoping we might move back too! But as DH is from NZ we're going to go that way instead. And I've lost count of the number of 'but you don't count' comments I have had! I'm having to bite my tongue to resist the temptation to say 'I know I don't count, the Leave vote made that crystal clear'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now