Baby name opinions

(20 Posts)
craicname Mon 26-Sep-16 20:44:27

The baby name section here not quite the same views as the Irish I think so would love some craicnet opinions on the following please:

Penelope
Poppy
Elise
Alyssa
Posy
Lara
Amaya

This is baby 4, boys name sorted but really really struggling with girls' name!

TriJo Mon 26-Sep-16 23:36:26

I like Lara, Elise and Alyssa but it really depends on the surname. Some of the more culchie surnames don't work too well with that type of girl name.

Cloeycat Tue 27-Sep-16 08:50:56

I know if a baby Penelope in Limerick, gorgeous little girl and the name suits her down to the ground.

I like Poppy too and Posy but not as keen on the others.

craicname Tue 27-Sep-16 11:43:36

Thanks girls. Forgot Lola which along with Penelope is my favourite but not sure I'm brave enough!

MarDhea Tue 27-Sep-16 19:05:04

Some of the more culchie surnames don't work too well with that type of girl name.

What do you think is a culchie surname?? Seriously, I've never encountered an Irish surname anywhere down the country that I haven't also encountered in Dublin - the Pale ends up with a hodgepodge of everything!

hollyisalovelyname Wed 28-Sep-16 07:35:10

MarDhea
I know what TriJo means though. I think she means Irish surnames - rather than culchie surnames.
Many of them just don't suit a'fancier / more exotic' first name.
It may be that we are just not used to hearing them together so they sound 'odd'.

MarDhea Wed 28-Sep-16 19:11:21

Fair enough - there are a lot of surnames that fancy first names don't suit very well. Araminta Smith sounds just as odd to me as Araminta Murphy... Both trying too hard smile

OP, of your names I like Alyssa and Lara the best. Penelope is also a cool name, but will probably get shortened to the okay-but-dull Penny. I like strong girls' names so Poppy and Posy are a bit too frilly for me.

Amber76 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:17:52

I agree with being careful with surname... eg Posy Farrell - nice, Posy O'Driscoll - not so nice (to my ears).
Think Elise is a great name. I know a Penny and i think its a lovely name.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 28-Sep-16 20:18:48

Araminta Murphy sounds better than Persephone O'Reilly grin

powershowerforanhour Thu 29-Sep-16 00:42:07

Every other pug in the country is called Lola, so I'd go with Penelope.

craicname Thu 29-Sep-16 08:03:39

Thanks all. Surname is Irish but I think most names sound fine with it, think of a famous brand of bread!

Finding this one soooo hard as I LOVE the names our other 3 have and the boy's name we have picked out so I don't want to let baby down with something lesser if it's a girl!

honeyrider Fri 30-Sep-16 14:51:56

Penelope Brennan, Poppy Brennan, Elise Brennan, Alyssa Brennan sound fine but I can see Penelope being shortened to Penny.

user1471134011 Thu 06-Oct-16 11:55:26

Aw Poppy or Posy Brennan are lovely names!

user1471134011 Thu 06-Oct-16 11:56:17

Does anyone else wither inside when the read what people write about Irish names on the other board?

FarAwayHills Thu 06-Oct-16 15:01:15

I like Elise bestsmile

I always think about what it will be like to be a grown up doing a serious type job with a name more suitable for a cute little girl. Hard enough to be taken seriously in the workplace these days.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 06-Oct-16 19:58:32

The surname could be
Johnston
Mooney
or
O'Brien
grin

pinocchiosnose Thu 06-Oct-16 20:04:25

Posy is my favourite. If you call her this she must read ballet shoes by noel streatfield, lovely book with a little Posy.

I really like Poppy and Lara too

user1471134011 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:29:04

Holly 😆

boilingkettle Sat 19-Nov-16 07:42:52

Just on to say we have a Penelope. She is 2, and we have never shortened it to Penny. If anyone tries to shorten it, (looking at you DFIL), we just say we don't use Penny.
It's a great name!

wobblywonderwoman Sat 19-Nov-16 07:54:45

I think Elise is beautiful - Ruby could be another option

I don't think Poppy works as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now