Primary schools in Dublin 6 - chances of getting places!

(11 Posts)
Flugelpip Fri 09-Sep-16 20:36:15

I am hoping to move back to Ireland next summer (from London) and we're looking at houses in Dublin 6 as it's close to family but I didn't grow up in D6 and I don't know anything about the primary schools. DS1 will be 8 and DS2 will be 5 if we get to move next summer. I don't want to sell up and move without knowing where they'll be going to school, or if they can get a place - in fact, I'd say schools are the number one issue for us. They're in the local state primary at the moment in London and love it.

I am hugely confused about how to apply for school places for them, which schools to apply to and if we have a chance of getting them into a school in the first place. We have budgeted for paying private school fees if necessary. They are both baptised but I'm not particularly worried about them going to a Catholic school - I'd be happy as long as they're likely to be happy. Any advice gratefully received!

YesOfCourseAlways Fri 09-Sep-16 21:26:42

You need to ring the schools and ask them what your chances are of getting a place, you will likely have to go on a waiting list and hope that someone leaves. I'm only really familiar with Ranelagh, you've got the multidenominational school, RMDS, which I think is probably one of the hardest schools in the country to get into at Junior Infants, but your 8 year old might stand a chance and then your younger child would jump up the waiting list as they have a siblings policy. Defnately worth a try!

Otherwise there is Sandford National School, Church of Ireland, and 2 Irish speaking schools. St Louis in Rathmines is a very big primary, and there are two private primaries in Rathgar, Stratford and Rathgar Junior School. Zion NS in Rathgar is church of Ireland.

There are also Terenure and Harold's Cross in D6, sorry I don't know the lie of the land there!

Hope that helps a bit!

Flugelpip Fri 09-Sep-16 21:30:25

It does! Thank you.

YesOfCourseAlways Fri 09-Sep-16 21:33:11

There's a newish Eduate together school in Dublin 4 which would be close enough, worth looking at that too.

Darwinisafish Sat 10-Sep-16 09:37:39

In Terenure you have St. Joseph's boys school, could be hard to get a place for your 5 year old. In Rathmines there is St Mary's , a fee paying Catholic boys school. I don't think they take from JI though, boys might go to St. Louis's and then transfer in2nd class. Further out there is Terenure College, again fee paying boys school. The Junior School only starts from 3rd class though. Might be with giving them a call to see what the feeder schools are.

MelanieWiggles Mon 12-Sep-16 20:21:39

Based on my own experience it can be immensely difficult to get into a lot of the schools in Dublin 6. That being said, the new educate together school in Dublin 4 (currently on simmonscourt road) and the fact that st mary's in donnybrook has an extra class (or so I've heard) has eased the pressure a bit. In general, as the biggest school in Dublin 6, St Louis in rathmines has places. The Ranelagh RMDS is nigh on impossible to get into, as are the Church of Ireland schools. Of the Gaelscoils, Lios na Nog is generally booked up but Scoil Bhride did have places this year I think. Which end of Dublin 6 are you looking at ? There are also fee paying primaries in or around D6, if they are of interest ?

MelanieWiggles Mon 12-Sep-16 20:26:15

Sorry, re-read and see you have mentioned fee paying if necessary. St. Mary's in rathmines only takes boys from second class (ie can't take your 5 year old). I think Terenure college has decided to close its junior school also. Rathgar junior school is off rathgar road and is fee paying - it looks nice although the school hours are very short. If you are on the Ranelagh side of D6, St. Conleth's is on the donnybrook end of ballsbridge so quite close.

mathanxiety Sat 17-Sep-16 05:36:30

Would you consider something way out of the box? St.Kilian's German School isn't too far from D6 (south/east). If you have some time before arriving in Dublin your DCs could do some German immersion.

www.kilians.com/kindergarten-and-primary/subjects/ Subjects and language used.

They only start Irish in 5th class. This might be an advantage for your family.

Newtoday Sat 17-Sep-16 06:06:13

Most schools have enrolment/expression of interest on their website. Either full in online or print and post. Should take half a day to go through each website and do them all...! Which you need to do, people tend to decide closer to time/see where they get offered.
Few new ETs opening: form.jotformeu.com/53213922151344 and www.educatetogether.ie/riverview-etns

You'll be fine. Great schools in D6 and close by! My DD just started in the ET on SCR and was picked out of the hat at a very high number (each school has different criteria or just picks the names out of a hat). Didn't think we'd get a place, but it all comes together in the end! Incredible school (with aftercare on site).

Nogravyforyou Sun 18-Sep-16 21:19:34

There's KPS in Rathmines as well. Not sure how easy it is to get into though.

FoxesOnSocks Sun 18-Sep-16 21:28:45

This is the list for Dublin 6:

www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-6

Whereabouts in D6 are you thinking of?

You're best off thinking what type you want first (Irish language schools?) - you just need to call the school and enquire really; each one will explain its criteria and application process and deadlines (which will most likely be on thier website too as said above)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now