Water births in Ireland

(6 Posts)
Ponderfully Tue 23-Aug-16 22:19:33

Does anyone know if this is offered in the south east? I read that it's only in the Coombe or else you have to get out at the second stage.

Is this true?

Seems a bit strange.

Izzadoraduncancan Tue 23-Aug-16 22:20:39

Where are you hoping to give birth? I have had 5 babies in waterford

Ponderfully Tue 23-Aug-16 23:11:21

Ha not even pregnant yet hoping to ttc in the next few months. I might have a look at home births.

Anotherdayanotherdollar Tue 23-Aug-16 23:18:24

I think a home birth or the Coombe are your only current options. However, both of these will still depend on your midwife and their individual experience/qualifications. It can be quite difficult to get a midwife on the hse scheme as there are so few of them and such strict criteria. You need to contact a midwife as soon as you have a positive test. Neighbourhood midwives is a private midwifery service that might be available to you.

MarDhea Wed 24-Aug-16 18:32:14

Some info here on having a water birth at home, where to find midwives who cater for it, etc.

SleepDeprivedAndCranky Sun 18-Sep-16 15:22:32

I did a quick google. The Coombe Hospital in Dublin does water births and Cork University Hospital Maternity in Cork City have a 'pool room' for waterbirths. You can hire a birthing pool on www.birthingmamas.ie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now