This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

ikea cots/ mattresses?

(10 Posts)
bradleybecky Sun 25-Sep-16 18:55:05

Hello mummies
Am wondering whether or not to get an ikea cot+ mattress..has anyone had experience with them?
Baby due in spring.. - am wondering if i should wait for christmas sales and look at john lewis instead? or is ikea just as good?

any advice would be nice! thanks

Kannet Sun 25-Sep-16 18:56:33

We one. It's brilliant. Very sturdy and comfortable

MyNameWasAlreadyTaken Sun 25-Sep-16 18:58:14

Fantastic products. Mine did both DC and now passed on to a cousin. Looks like new too

ayeokthen Sun 25-Sep-16 18:59:33

We had them, passed down now to friend's kids, obviously not the mattress, but very sturdy and easy to clean.

ShoeJunkie Sun 25-Sep-16 19:00:21

We've got one, it's survived one ds and is currently being used by ds2 (did buy a new mattress). No complaints at all. It's even survived being taken down and reassembled a couple of times.

FurryGiraffe Sun 25-Sep-16 19:02:12

We have an IKEA cot and it's still going strong for DC2. Its also very easy to take a side off and use it as a co-sleeper if you turn out to have a baby who isn't fond of sleeping solo!

sleepyhead Sun 25-Sep-16 19:04:37

We had a John Lewis cot for ds1 and an Ikea cot for ds2 (big age gap so first cot was given away).

Very similar quality (both cot and mattress) but the Ikea one was about £100 cheaper even though it was bought 7 years later.

bradleybecky Sun 25-Sep-16 19:05:11

thanks everyone - which mattress did you get? assume you got the mattress covers from ikea too? are they safe/hygienic etc?

bradleybecky Mon 26-Sep-16 06:14:19

Wow really! Was the mattress similar quality too? I was thinking of maybe getting the mattress from John Lewis and cot from ikea....assuming the quality of the ikea one wouldn't be as good?

daisiesinherfootsteps Mon 26-Sep-16 06:30:08

We've got the ikea Gullivar cot and it's been great, seen us through 2 DC had the sides on and off and base up and down more times than I can count and still in excellent condition.

We paid a bit more to get a sprung mattress for it and its not at all worn in terms of support.

The only thing I don't like is their mattress protectors. They are too small and only designed to go over the centre part of mattress (supposedly not under head for breathability safety) and that has led to us having a stained mattress. If I had my time again I'd look into a better solution for protecting the mattress. Perhaps they do something better now anyway, we've had ours 6 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now