Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. If you want to buy and sell cots or beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Mattress

(7 Posts)
LittleJack15 Mon 15-Apr-13 08:44:47

Which is the best mattress for a four week old?

LittleJack15 Mon 15-Apr-13 08:54:05

Forgot to say for a cot.
smile

Jennyn81 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:29:42

We got ours from little green sheep as we wanted a mattress with no fire chemicals, depends if your cot is one which will convert if so I recommend their Twist mattress because it goes from birth to 7 years...http://www.thelittlegreensheep.co.uk/Mattresses/Cot-Cot-Bed-Mattresses/ hope that helps so confusing when it comes to finding a good mattress!

Jennyn81 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:30:23
leigh90 Thu 16-May-13 10:33:43

Have you tried Baby Mattresses Online? They're great at giving advice on the phone. I wouldn't have had a clue what to get without them!

jennyapples Thu 06-Jun-13 10:56:33

Hi there, just curious - no fire chemicals? Isn't that illegal due to the huge danger in case of house fire? I thought that all mattresses have to be treated, but I could be wrong!

MissTweed Thu 06-Jun-13 11:25:19

Got mine from www.naturalmat.co.uk

Totally organic, natural, no fire retardant chemicals etc.

It is however fire retardant because of the natural fibres that are used and has passed all the relevant safety standards etc.

It is these fire retardant chemicals which react with body fluid which gives off the gas which is suspected to be a major factor in cot death. Although if used correctly, normal cot mattresses are perfectly safe to use (as long as you keep an eye on the covers for rips/holes etc, follow the guidelines for cleaning if soiled, do not reuse for another child a follow the instructions for wrapping them properly double wrapping I think is called - I found a tutorial online about it) but to be honest I found it all too much of a faff and went for a natural instead for peace of mind.

Obviously they are more expensive but as I have bought everything else second hand I though I could justify the expense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now