Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. If you want to buy and sell cots or beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

argh! toxic mattress shock!

(5 Posts)
browntoes2 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:27:20

Be careful with the coir mattresses too. Apparently they have more chemicals than foam as they have to spray to kill any infestations there might be in the coir! Maybe you could get a foam one, air it and then ensure the mattress has a good quality mattress cover (ticking) and then go for an organic sheet too. That is what I did.

johhnybegood Thu 18-Apr-13 22:05:43

Hmm hadnt thought this...we hve not got the cot or bed yet alone a bigger mattress. Sorry not much help I'm afraid

daytoday Thu 18-Apr-13 10:50:39

Advertising?

Jennyn81 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:36:23

I know a little bit about this because i spent weeks researching when my LO was due and in the end went for Little Green Sheep. No sprung mattress aren't necessarily safer as nearly all contain foam...all mattresses than use foam in them have to be treated with fire chemicals in order to pass british standards and make them 'safe'. That is why manufacturers always say to air mattresses before use!! I know the research is conflicting but in the end for a little extra we just felt more reassured by having one with no chemicals...but yeah it is scary really when you read what is going into something babies sleep on for so long! Anyway, good luck and sorry to rabbit on so much :-)

agnes2404 Fri 05-Apr-13 13:38:04

sleep deprived parents are buying our tot a double bed so when she wakes up for cuddles one of us can climb in with her.

Simple? Harumph. Not so. I am reading about scary chemicals in foam mattresses. So what do you think out there? Are sprung mattresses safer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now