Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. If you want to buy and sell cots or beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cotbed mattresses

(11 Posts)
Tasmania Mon 18-Feb-13 15:58:20

Are the more expensive mattresses really better? Of course, that's difficult to judge if you don't sleep on it - but mainly wondering if DC sleeps longer?

And do they last you 5 years as some people say?

Tasmania Mon 18-Feb-13 15:59:10

^^ with "DC sleeps longer", I mean - does it help them sleep through the night? A friend swears by hers.

Fairylea Mon 18-Feb-13 16:02:09

Well we've always only been able to afford the cheapest foam ones but both dc have slept through from about 12 weeks so it can't have too much to do with it as long as they are reasonably comfy !

whattodoo Mon 18-Feb-13 16:02:16

We got a john lewis one (think about £100). It has arrived us well for 4 years and is as good as new now that we're moving to a full sized bed.

We always had a dunelm mistress protector on it but aired it regularly.

I think it was well worth the investment.

whattodoo Mon 18-Feb-13 16:03:15

arrived served

mistress mattress

Tasmania Mon 18-Feb-13 16:06:39

whattodoo I do have to check out that dunelm mistress protector... lol.

grin

Off to look at mattresses then.

Johnc1979 Wed 20-Feb-13 22:21:25

Can be expensive but Im a firm believer that you get what you pay for! I always thought of buying a mattress the same as if it was for me, I wouldn't want or expect to sleep on a foam mattress for 5 years etc. we went for chemical free Little Green Sheep cot bed mattress because I read a lot about fire chemicals. It was about £150 mind but well worth it so far. Mothercare have a good selection wasn't that impressed with JL though considering they are supposed to be great on service, staff did not know a lot and just kept recommending the middle of range one as if that is what everyone should go for, not even asking what we wanted etc....rant over!

Good luck

Tarlia Thu 21-Feb-13 16:49:02

Def worth going for a sprung mattress, we spent more on the mattress than cot, a friend did the opposite. She had foam and now her only just 2year old canny sleep in the cot as sunk right to the bottom and very uncomfy.

Just to note, because of SIDS it really is best to get each baby a new mattress.

speedyboots Thu 21-Feb-13 17:02:09

I'm a first-timer so don't rely on what I say, but I've got my eye on this one - gets great reviews, is a sprung mattress and a great price.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 21-Feb-13 17:25:28

Sprung mattresses are much better than foam. Far more comfortable.

HappyAsASandboy Thu 21-Feb-13 17:45:36

We bought our cot mattresses from here

We bought sprung mattresses for each cots, and a waterproof covered foam mattress for the travel cot. They have all been good, and customer service was brilliant when I accidentally ordered a custom-sized mattress of the wrong size blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now