This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Moses baskets - how long do they last and are they worth it?

(11 Posts)
CitizenOscar Sat 02-Feb-13 18:37:22

We used ours for 3-4 months & plan to again with DC2.

We were given one 2nd hand & found one in a charity shop (bought new mattress). We took one to my parents' so DS had something to sleep in when we stayed there.

Went from Moses basket into cot, no need for a crib. I liked the flexibility of being able to move the Moses basket from room to room (eg fell asleep downstairs then took him up with us when we went to bed).

No need to get a fancy one.

MortifiedAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 18:30:13

We used ours for four months. We then used a travel cot in our room for another month after that. In hindsight, I would have bought a travel cot with a bassinette bit in the top and then dropped it down for the last month of two.

I know SIL used her basket til 7 months for her DD.

I had a carrycot on the stroller, so used that in the daytimes for DD til she was about three months.

5madthings Sat 02-Feb-13 18:27:23

I never had one for my five, I have big long babies I just used the carrycot from the prism with a mattress that could be used for overnight sleeping and we co-slept anyway.

stargirl1701 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:25:36

We used the pram downstairs. It meant we could move dd from room to room so she was with us or go on 'house walks' when she was fractious.

Snog Sat 02-Feb-13 18:22:39

It's nice to be able to have somewhere your baby can sleep downstairs with you in the daytime imo

stargirl1701 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:20:00

Ours lasted 8 weeks. We borrowed it. I wouldn't buy a new one. See if you can borrow one or, failing that, a pre-loved one at an NCT sale or on eBay.

GeorgiaC11 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:18:00

I had a Moses basket and crib for my DD when she was first born and I always used the Moses basket as I found it easier to put in different rooms in the house when she was sleeping and just looked a lot more comfy as its not so solid, can get second hand ones quite cheap but would definitely invest in a new matress

KB02 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:07:24

Our baby was in for about 5 months. Very cosy for the first couple of months and more portable. I had it next to my bed at night. You don't need an expensive fancy one. Mine was second hand but I was advised to get a new mattress for it.

Jennyn81 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:58:16

My LO is just coming out of her organic moses basket and she is just 4 months, guess it depends on size of your baby but should at least get 3 months

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sun 23-Dec-12 18:21:54

I dont think they last more than a few weeks. I used a crib instead

Sylphid Sun 23-Dec-12 18:21:08

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now