Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. If you want to buy and sell cots or beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Where will baby sleep!

(8 Posts)
whatsinthebagangelos Thu 02-Aug-12 17:51:06

Brilliant, thanks for all your advice x

Sparkles23 Tue 31-Jul-12 19:10:45

I used a Moses basket at night until he outgrew it at 3m and he then went into cot bed in his own room. Moses baskets are great as can be transferred anywhere in house but they do soon outgrow them so perhaps borrow one or look in sales, we got ours for about £15 in John Lewis sale and were given the stand.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 31-Jul-12 19:10:07

I meant moses basket btw i.e. I never bought a moses basket for in our room as they dont last for long.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 31-Jul-12 19:09:20

we used a crib for upstairs, night-time sleeping and used the carrycot bit of the travel system for downstairs sleeping during the day. I never bought a carry cot for in our room as they dont last for long.

BikeRaceRunningRaceNoSkiing Tue 31-Jul-12 19:05:52

DS grew out of the Moses basket in about a month, and DD never settled in it.
If space is tight, I'd suggest a crib.

wonkylegs Tue 31-Jul-12 18:59:48

Babies generally sleep in Moses basket when they are tiny, but they get big quick so yours might not last to 6mths.
I found day and night a bit blurred in the beginning (poor sleeper & continuous feeder)
I only had a wicker crib up in our bedroom, no Moses basket and that was fine. Put him in his own room in cotbed (as cot) at 6months, although we'd tried him in this before that for naps so he could get used to it.

queenofthepirates Japan Tue 31-Jul-12 18:57:32

Babies are often quite flexible so they may well sleep in lots of different places |(slings, on your chest, in the pushchair, under the really stimulating baby gym...) without much fuss. I'd suggest popping baby in the moses basket at night and in the same room as you until you feel ready to transfer to the cot. If there's not enough room for the cot in your room and they've outgrown the moses basket, time for their own room. Six months is the ideal but not always practical.

You could pop baby in your bed for a bit if you wanted?

Personally I wouldn't buy a crib for the bedroom as you'll outgrow it super quick. It depends if you're burning money!

whatsinthebagangelos Tue 31-Jul-12 18:47:28

Hi folks

This has probably been done to death but would appreciate your advice.

Expecting first baby in a few months. Am planning on a Moses basket for naps during the day. Our bedroom is small so can't fit cot in our room, however understand the need for baby to be in with us for 6 months etc. can we just bring up the Moses basket at night and baby can sleep there or should we try to get a tiny crib and use that? Also aware of baby potentially having loads of different beds!

Thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now