Does a miscarriage always hurt?

(27 Posts)
mummycan Tue 28-Jun-05 18:04:42

Just asking as I am having a mid cycle bleed - heavyish but with a a number of large clots. Went to see the doctor - she said it could be hormonal or it could be a miscarriage. We have been TTC for a while. However no pain - not even period type pain.

Any thought?

TIA

MC
x

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 18:05:49

no. i had a miscarriage early last year. just started bleeding. then it got heavier

Nemo1977 Tue 28-Jun-05 18:10:33

not all the time hun my second mc didnt hurt but i had known i was pg before.just like really heavy period for about 6 days altogether...everyone is different

mummycan Tue 28-Jun-05 18:10:38

Were you definitely pregnant? Had you done a test?

Sorry for all the questions

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 18:14:18

yes, was deffo pregnant.

mummycan Tue 28-Jun-05 18:20:09

Not sure if i was pregnant - hadn't done a test as period was on time

hana Tue 28-Jun-05 18:23:14

mummycan
I think everyone's experiences with a m/c will be different. I've had 3 and with each one it felt like a v v heavy period and the pain was quite intense (I don't normally have painful periods)
hope you're feeling better v soon

happymerryberries Tue 28-Jun-05 18:29:07

I had a mc at 12 weeks and it didn't hurt, just had some bleeds, no cramps at all. Needed a d and C

mummycan Tue 28-Jun-05 18:33:39

Not sure what to think - feel silly to feel sad because I didn't know that i could have been pregnant (still don't know if I was).. Will be having a scan soon - that might help to say one way or another.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply

charleepeters Tue 28-Jun-05 18:48:36

your not silly mummycan - i had the exact same thing last month were ttc and then i had my period 2 weeks early which had clots in i was unsure what it was but suspected miscarriage as i have a history of them - i hope your scan puts your mind at rest.

dropinthe Tue 28-Jun-05 18:51:57

I've had two miscarriages and neither hurt any worse than a normal period-one at nine weeks and one at 12.

Willow2 Tue 28-Jun-05 18:58:46

I'm writing about this at the moment and no, it isn't always painful.

Tissy Tue 28-Jun-05 20:06:04

had a m/c at about 4 weeks and not painful at all, just a bit heavier than a normal period.

LunarSea Tue 28-Jun-05 22:56:28

Neither of mine, at 6 weeks and 11 weeks, hurt at all. Whereas my normal periods do.

Fio2 Tue 28-Jun-05 23:49:19

I have had several what i think were early ones, which were just very heavy clotty type periods and one later one which didnt hurt but wa uncomfortable and lasted for quite a while

berolina Wed 29-Jun-05 03:32:58

My miscarriage, at about 5 weeks, didn't hurt (physically ). Just a sore tummy briefly the next morning.

jenkins88 Thu 30-Jun-05 00:52:20

i miscarried at 13 weeks and had no pain at all. I had heavy bleeding and clotting for the first day and then light bleeding for the next week. The only other thing I remember about it was my feet and ankles were really swollen afterwards, although I don't know why this would be.

I understand what you mean about feeling sad because you don't know whether you were pregnant or not. Ilost my baby the day before my 12 week scan and I was so upset that I never got a picture of him/her. I was told that I had probably had a missed miscarriage where the baby dies early but for some reason your body holds on to it for a while. At the time I was desperate to know whether this was the case, but now I've accepted that it wouldn't make any difference either way.

I hope your scan can answer some of your questions.

EmilyD Thu 30-Jun-05 15:46:31

I found out i was preggers about a week ago and today i have started to bleed (now 6 weeks preggers) this happened to me same time at last pregnancy and carried on ok after that. Doctor is sending me for an early internal scan in the morning to check out. I just did another preg test and it said i was still preggers but the doctor said it would still show up as preggers even if you are miscarrying. Fingers crossed as we really want this baby.

lovecloud Thu 30-Jun-05 16:50:14

Fingers crossed for you Emmyd

EmilyD Wed 06-Jul-05 13:50:50

Sadly I had miscarried - i had a scan which showed up nothing as too early on so i then had 2 bloodtests on different days and it showed i'd miscarried. Felt quite numb about it but feel a little more positive this week and will just keep trying now

shhhh Fri 05-Aug-05 15:09:16

For me personally (following x2 mc's) physically no (similar to period pains) but mentally yes.... .
Made evn better though when our dd was born. now aged 11 weeks .
Good luck to you all xxxxxxx

assumedname Fri 05-Aug-05 15:15:06

I miscarried at 4 months and yes, it hurt a lot.

HellyBelly Fri 05-Aug-05 16:01:05

I mc'd at 8 weeks and it wasn't any more painful than a period, very very heavy though.

dinosaur Fri 05-Aug-05 16:01:40

Same as HellyBelly.

sweetkitty Fri 05-Aug-05 16:13:06

I had a m/c at 4-5 weeks (v early) was just a heavier than normal period, had got a pos test result though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now