Trying to fall pregnant after sadly terminating a pregnancy diagnosed woth downs syndrome

(55 Posts)
juelgaz Sun 13-Apr-03 21:02:41

Hi, I am new to mumsnet, any one out there who can advise me after terminating a pregnancy last december due to diagnosis of downs syndrome.i now would like to try again, but am very nervous.

Rhubarb Thu 08-May-03 15:02:26

I just need to come out in support of Thomcat here too. I contributed to a thread very similiar to this one when my nephew had just been born with Downs. All in all the other mothers, including the ones who had terminated their pregnancies, were very supportive and understood my need to tell my own story of my experiences with children who have special needs. Rosy was particularly understanding and I have nothing but admiration and respect for her.

This is a very senstitive topic, and as someone said, everyone is entitled to make their own decisions and not to be criticised for that. But there really is no criticism of any kind here. You must realise that there are mothers on Mumsnet who have children with special needs and they do get understandably defensive when there is talk of terminating a pregnancy because the baby has Downs. Just as each one of you probably gets upset when you see a child with Downs yourselves. It is so close to the bone. But I have been impressed with the dignity at which people have expressed themselves, and the tact and sensitivity they have shown to others. This thread does stand out as a very good example of a supportive thread, as it tolerates views from both sides.

So please do not get upset just because someone else has had a different experience than you, or has a different take on things than you. Do understand their point of view and how upsetting it is for them too. By welcoming other people's views we can really make this a brilliant thread for other mothers who may find themselves contemplating the same situation.

Now I really don't think we need Thomcat to apologise any more do we?

ThomCat Thu 08-May-03 16:49:04

Thankyou SO much Rhubarb what a wonderful and supportive posting, not only to me but to us all. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just hope that the everyone else involved in this thread agrees with you. I hate the thought of having upset anyone. I agree that I think this is a very informative and supportive thread which shows lots of different sides. A lovely posting and thanks again. XX

jasper Fri 09-May-03 08:10:45

in the absence of wine, raising a cup of coffee to rhubarb's excellent post.
Thomcat your dd is fortunate to have such a lovely mum.

mindy Sun 11-May-03 23:33:46

Rhubarb, thomcat
thanx for the messages, I must admit I was slightly apprehensive about logging onto this thread again but glad I did now,
I can see the other side of this, and find your posts about your your own situations interesting and inspiring, good luck hto you all....mindy

kittykat01 Mon 22-Jul-13 16:01:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now