Ovarian Cyst - pain and symptoms?

(36 Posts)
Heebychick Sun 31-Aug-08 16:42:54

Hi,

I have been TTC and have been having lots of symptoms and pains which my Dr now feels might be an ovarian cyst.

I have a scan booked for 16th Sept but wondered if anyone has had one and could explain symtpoms a bit more?

My symptoms are (apart from lots of misleading PG symptoms) lots of pain in my right side most of the time, very bloated, pain in my lower back on the right (which could be unrelated) and lots of niggles and 'tightening' in my tummy generally.

I've had the symptoms and pains for about 2 months now and looking forward to having a scan.

Anyone else had similar?

Thanks x

emmamoo11 Fri 04-Jul-14 21:40:49

Hi....my daughter has had a bleeding cyst which caused her to collapse. Should she go onto the pill to help make it easier? Always has had period pains
Now it makes sense poor girl.
She wants to go back for holiday in morrocco in 3 weeks. ..am imad letting her go? Will she get insurance? Help!!!

Sorry to hear about your discomfort wixie
Wish I had some advice, but I'm new to this and am just grateful to have come across this tread. I started TTC a few months ago, since then have obviously been hyper-aware of all cramps, twinges etc.
Been noticing sharp pain in my right side around the right time of my cycle to be ovulation pains, but also have been having ongoing aching in my kidneys, sometimes spreading to my lower back and tops of thighs more generally.
The kidney pain I associate with urinary tract infections - I can be quite susceptible to these, so have been resigned to one starting at various points, but it's never come.
Reading all this, I'm seriously thinking I should go ask my GP to get checked for cysts sad

One question - has anyone had the experience of the pill masking symptoms of cysts? Never noticed any of this until came off mycrogynon in late April (was on it for about 11 years)

Thanks all for sharing your stories and in advance for any advice

wixie14 Thu 06-Mar-14 06:52:18

Hi ,
I was wondering if anyone could help me. Three monthd ago I was diagnosed with a 7cm by 6cm cyst. I have been in a lot of pain in my stomach and under my ribs, around my back and right side of my abdomen. I have lost so much wieght as I feel sick and full. My stools are abnormal all the time. I feel like theres a blockage like I need the loo all the time. My gastroenterologist didnt find anything and said it was ibs. Could this all be down to my cyst?. Im waiting to have it out but getting seriously down about it all.
many thanks

Gingeroo24 Fri 10-Jan-14 19:40:30

It has been really interesting reading all these comments. I am currently in quite a lot of pain. I have been for 3 weeks but seems to get worse around a certain point in my cycle. Experiencing all the symptoms described. I'm off for a scan tomorrow as I have a suspected cyst on my left ovary. I had the right one and fallopian tube removed when I was 15 after being diagnosed with a cost that when they did the surgery had just engulfed my tube and ovary. I have reached a point where I can't control the pain so in an odd way looking forward to the scan to see if I can get answers! I have suffered bloating, often going up a dress size during the day, for a few years but has always been put down to ibs. Whatever it is, if it's treatable I'm happy to get it sorted. Thanks for putting my mind at ease that my symptoms are not unusual

sweetsarah Sat 06-Oct-12 06:52:43

I have been is terrible pain for 6 weeks now.I went to er and told them it felt like an ovarian cyst (i had one about 6 months ago.They found a kidney stone and said that's what the pain was.And i should try to pass it on my own.Now 3 weeks later i passed the stone,and still have terrible stomach pains made worse by moving and i feel i have to pee 24/7 nausea ,vomiting.I feel full all the time and can barely eat at all.The pain goes down my thigh on the left side where the lower stomach and back pain is.I keep sweating from the pain and i look like so pregnant by the end of each night.Sometimes i wake up and the swelling is down but it always comes back by the afternoon.I will eat a very small amount of food meaning 3 bites of food and feel full like i just ate Thanksgiving dinner.I have to admit i feel better from reading these real people talk about there symptoms because they seem the same as mine so i don't feel alone.

vickieastley Mon 12-Sep-11 09:07:40

its so reassuring to read this thread, i was in hospital this weekend with right abdominal pain, they thought it was my appendix, turns out that after an internal scan i have a 6cm cyst (fluid filled) on my right ovary, that explains why i have been feeling lethargic ( for months) and bloated ( for about a year). i have been advised that it could be due to being on progesterone only birth control for 6 years, including the pill, injection and now the implant. i am having the implant removed today as it has made me so bloated. i have been advised to get it re scanned in 3 months but am going to ask my gp to ask for one in 6 weeks, if its got any bigger or still there i'm going to request a laproscopy to get it removed as it sounds strange.. but i can feel the cyst there all the time.

regards fellow mums and ladies, vickie. :S

shorty40 Sat 16-Jul-11 01:33:45

Hi! I have a history of endometriosis, had a lap in 96...(wow! 15 yrs ago already!)...I have had ovarian cysts sinse my early 20's, now am 40, & I still get them. Last yr, I was dx'd with "complex" cysts....possibly endometriomas, or chocolate cysts. Pain is ridiculous! I thought the other cysts were painful...these that I get now are painful x 10,000! Dr suggested a hysterectomy, but I have never had kids, and also, even if I never have a child (which gyno said was unlikely to get pg w/ my gyno probs) but I would like to into menopause normally...The thing is, is that before the cysts actually 'rupture'..it's like they make a gurgling sound..like the one rupturing now is on the left side....pain started (pinchy feeling) about 3 days ago...last night it ruptured, and today my tummy is tender, swollen, pain in back..but it's the 'gurgling sound' I noticed about 3-4 days ago or so, on left lower side...does anyone else notice noises coming from abdomen when you have cysts? Sometimes, it is like it is draining, and maybe that is what the sound is from, or maybe it is filling up with blood/fluid, and that causes the sounds?? Can anyone relate? Maybe it is stomach issues, & not related at all...but it is getting predictable!

Catbond Sun 03-Apr-11 22:00:59

Hi, About 3 years ago I was admitted to hospital where they found a few small cysts on my left ovary, but said it was nothing to worry about due to my age ( 17 at the time). Recently however, I've been getting lower back ache which spreads round to my left side of stomach. My left side of stomach is slightly sore/ un comfortable all the time and I have a sharp stabby pain if it is pressed or after I have sex.

I've noticed I'm also more tired and feel run down recently too as well as occasionally feeling nauseous. I have done pregnancy tests and all come up negative ( am currently on the implant so periods are not frequent (( can go months without a period)) so cant really judge if this is just hormonal imbalance etc)

Do you think this could be my small cysts getting a lot worse or will this pass? Thank you for any advice given. x

choclab Tue 08-Jun-10 14:34:30

iv been having similar symptoms as some of people on thread ,

bloating , being the main one , flatter in morning i look huge by bed time ..

lower ab pain im cycle along with egg white stuff ..ovulation i guess .

am concerned i may have cyst or something hmm

went to doc last month who wasnt concerned as i have iBS to .
had scan 2 years ago all fine then ..

maybe i should go back and ask for another scan ..

or could this just be ovulation thing going on ...

iv , no bleeding , constant pain , irregular periods .

Interesting fact of the day (which I wish someone had told me sooner) - ovarian cysts which are bleeding do not cause vaginal bleeding, as they bleed into the abdomen not the womb. Why dont they tell you that at the start, and then I wouldn't have been so worried! FFS.

can anyone advice me please?

Have had mc and they saw an ovarian cyst on my right ovary. Second scan showed it smaller, but I bled the day of the second scan and have bled for three weeks since, with a small respite of one day.

I now have all the symptoms back (pain but not as bad as before) HEAVY bleeding - and a very swollen stomach.

Could my cyst be bleeding heavily and not draining out of my system quickly enough, thus causing bloated stomach? should I get it checked out? Worried.

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Sat 27-Jun-09 23:38:13

Hi Pinkbun,
sorry you're having problems.
I am in remission from severe endometriosis (including choc cysts). I haven't had a hysterectomy/ovaries removed, but I understand it like this: it's sometimes necessary and is the best option for some people, but should never be done unnecessarily. It's not something to be blase about - it's something that should be decided on as a last resort, after a lot of thought and understanding all the consequences, risks and benefits and after looking into other options. If you decide it's the best thing for you, then fine, but if you're not sure, don't let them rush you into it as once it's done it cannot be undone. IMO it's something that no-one should ever be rushed into, and if they are rushing you into it, that alone would make me feel quite uneasy. There ought to be other options they can try first, unless the cysts are extremely severe. It is good to keep your ovaries if possible, as they carry on producing small amounts of hormones even after the menopause. You can have HRT, but there are some long term health risks. If there are no other options, maybe they feel there's no need to wait and it will improve your quality of life - even so, you should still understand what you're going into, as then you're less likely to have regrets.

Last year I had a chunk of my bowel removed, I was able to go into theatre with a big smile on my face knowing I'd reached the end of the road with that particular section of bowel and having it removed was the best option for me. Things haven't always been easy since - there have been complications relating to the surgery - but I still smile when I think of the people who did that for me as it was the best thing that anyone's done for me (health-wise) in 10 years and they've improved my life so much. If, however, I had the feeling that there might have been other options that had not been explored, if I'd gone into the operation with doubts that were overridden, I might have found some of the negative consequences difficult to cope with.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who's had it done, to talk about what it actually feels like. But please do your own research - sorry I can't point you in the direction of any good articles, but I haven't needed to look at this sort of surgery for my self yet so I don't know as much about it as I do about some other topics.

Hope this helps.

Pinkbun Sat 27-Jun-09 22:53:54

Please can anyone advise. I have been diagnosed with what they think are chocolate cysts although they wont say until they operate on Tuesday. However, because of my age (47) they want to take everything away. I just want them to deal with the cysts. What can I say, they seem to be quite blase that I dont need my ovaries and that they can put me on HRT.

Please advise.

Pinkbun Sat 27-Jun-09 22:53:31

Please can anyone advise. I have been diagnosed with what they think are chocolate cysts although they wont say until they operate on Tuesday. However, because of my age (47) they want to take everything away. I just want them to deal with the cysts. What can I say, they seem to be quite blase that I dont need my ovaries and that they can put me on HRT.

Please advise.

vanna Wed 27-May-09 22:38:18

I had a burst cyst last september and it took me about4 months to get back to normal energy wise and no pain.It is now may and this ovulation has just brought pain and bloating,have I got another one?anyone know?please?

jadey1232 Fri 09-Jan-09 21:15:45

forgot to mention just had my period as normal, do you think i should still do a pregnancy test even though ive had the urine tests etc?

jadey1232 Fri 09-Jan-09 21:14:47

hi all, thanks so much for the replies! well my severe cramps mainly seem to have gone so ive put that down to a stomach virus because around here there are so many bugs going around, although it lasted nearly 2 weeks!! still sometimes getting pain in my ovaries and lower back mainly in my right but a bit in the left. someone has mentioned endometriosis so i may get checked. got my results back today and everything was clear (urine, blood) although the nurse said it seemed as if i had bacterial vaginosis. i said i didnt have any symptoms i.e no pain when peeing or strange discharge its just my ovaries! she said if it persists to go back to radiology and they will try to work it out. anyone got anything to add? its frustrating as im only 18 lol and i seem to be sick all the time lately! ive had sinus problems since august on and off - took azithromycin for the infection which helped but as ive had so many colds and stuff i still keep getting the sinus pressure! so annoying! aaaaaaah! well thanks for any input everyone! xx

jadey1232,

I would ask your GP for a referral to a gynae if you are not already under the care of such a person.

Has anyone mentioned endometriosis to you as a possibility?. This should be checked for but it is not picked up through the tests you've had done to date. Its usually diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

I note as well you've had previous abdominal surgery; this certainly should be mentioned to the gynae when you see him.

Kanuck Sat 03-Jan-09 12:36:30

Jadey - I have almost the identical symptoms to you and I know its [mostly] from ovarian cysts. I have one that was last measured at 6cm on the right side and one that is almost 4cm on the left side. I was told they could grow, burst or just go away. I am also 9 weeks pregnant so if they do grow, they'd look at removing the larger one in the second trimester.

Regardless of being pregnant, I think you'd have similar symptoms to me if you did have ovarian cysts but I guess your symptoms could from something else too. I was told that cysts are extremely common (although usually smaller) and go each month with the menstrual cycle but if you're pregant they can persist much longer. If you're having that much pain and they are cysts, they're probaby greater thenn 3cm.

I would just buy a pregnancy test to be somewhat sure about that and then continue testing with doctors.

jadey1232 Sat 03-Jan-09 10:41:26

sick**

jadey1232 Thu 01-Jan-09 20:18:51

by the way i feel aick a lot too but havn't actually been! x

jadey1232 Thu 01-Jan-09 20:17:45

please someone help me!! im 18 and ive been miserable for the last week over christmas!! i first started getting pains low down on my right side front and back, then it changed to excruciating pains all over my stomach but they are intermittent not constant. i also have a constant bloated feeling or like a rock is in there and it hurts when i push under my bellybutton. i went to the doc and had a pelvic exam and bloodwork and urine tests done and he ruled out it being a kidney infection or appendicitis as i had that removed 3 years ago but it feels like that again! he just said go back next week if it's not better for a scan to check anything like cysts. i get pains down my right thigh too and even up to between my shoulder blades sometimes. when it's at it's worst, i even get pain up to between my ribs. however, i don't get pain when peeing but i may be going more than usual and my kidneys even hurt for a while last night. ive read that a cyst can push on other organs...?? i really don't know what to put this down to but thinking about it, i think my periods have been slightly lighter over the last few months - i'm sexually active with my boyfriend but i doubt that i could be pregnant as i'm taking yasmin birth control (have been for 2 years for acne) and i'm quite good with taking it on time etc etc. pleaseeee can someone give me an insight into this? i'm so upset and scared!
anything will be appreciated xx

sammysam Tue 09-Dec-08 10:00:09

I'm worried now sad We've been ttc for almost a year (after concieving dd very easily-she was a surprise!) but over the last 4 months i've been getting pains-the first month was a week of really bad pain-so bad I almost went to a&e, and since then not so bad but for most of the month. I also feel sick (very similar to how my morning sickness started) and I really don't feel like eating (which isn't like me at all!)

I plucked up the courage and went to the docs who has referred me for day 21 bloods (i'm going tomorrow-but i'm sure I haven't ovulated) and an ultra sound-but she said it will take a couple of months for the appointment to come through sad
I know something weird is going on and I just want to know now-I can't wait for 2 months-it is really getting me down now.

katryn4 Tue 09-Dec-08 09:07:39

I have this bloatd feeling i have a 3 and a half cm cyst thats to be removed tomorrow when i get sterilised. As i have 4 children now.
I hate feeling sick all the time and sore its awful and i look like am 5 months pregnant cos of the bloating.

smileycat Tue 23-Sep-08 13:12:46

Hi, try not to worry too much, the docs can usually tell by the scan if it looks cancerous or not ie if its fluid filled or solid. I had mine removed in April when it was 15cm, my doc told me that if its between 3cm & 6cm they just watch it and hope that the body will absorb it back in, once it gets over that size they start doing more tests and talk to you about removing it. When I was first told I had one I read up on it on the internet and couldn't believe how common it is (thought I was the only one). They removed my ovary & tube as it was so big and there was a little bit in the cyst that they were concerned about, but all turned out to be fine. I had to have a c-section to get it out as they didn't want any fluid to spill just incase, but most of the time they can removed them with keyhole. Fingers crossed I'm ttc for number 2 at the moment, my doc doesn't think I'll have any less chance than if I had both ovaries as the other one goes into overdrive when you only have one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now