Anyone ever used the turkey baster method and got pregnant? Any advice?

(65 Posts)
PastYourBedtime Wed 13-Aug-08 14:02:24

After a year of trying to get pregnant naturally we have decided to give it a go. Dp suffers from delayed ejaculation (he can ejaculate during masterbation but not sex easily) and i ovulate infrequently, so we have decided to try and give things a helping hand.
If he was to masterbate into a 'cup' and then into a syringe we could then insert it at hopefully the right time. Well thats the plan! Anyone had any success with this method or any thoughts?

donnankelly Fri 02-Oct-09 10:29:27

hi.i found this so interesting as my gf and i used the turkey baster and our gorgeous little man just turned 4 and we r currently trying again.it certainly works.i have never really thought about ovulation and when i was due on really just did the doo and wo hooo .
i am very fertile id only have to look at a penis andid be pregnat hahaha not that id want to lol.
good luck to all u guys and gals who r trying for a baby dnt give uphope it really does work.any questions etc feel free to ask x

tina30 Sun 18-Jul-10 16:10:00

My husband and I have been trying seriously for the past year and a half and I have become discouraged. I had heard about this after watching the show "The Game"(LOL) on the WB network and just recalled the episode and wondered if it really worked. I have done some research and If my husband is okay with it then we will start this cycle. I have heard that it is best to locate your cervix before attempting this method. Is that a difficult task?

nick1112 Mon 14-May-12 16:23:20

Hi,
Yes I have used turkey baster and has definitely worked for me. I am married for 5 years and was not comfortable having penetrative sex. I think I was suffering form vaginism. Also my partner and I have a very busy life style so we were unable to find time for all this. I tried using ky jelly, got a dildo (to practice to loosen my vagina) and tried to be calm when my partner tried penetrative sex but this method just didn't work for us. After wasting months on this we decided to use turkey baster method and it worked the first time smile
We got a needle-less syringe from boots for 40p and a small plastic container. I collected my partners sperm (fresh) into the container and used the syringe and gently inserted into my vagina. Since I was in control of the syringe I was more relaxed and I knew I could remove it any time it hurts. Slowly and gently I emptied the syringe into my vagina and lay with my hips up using a pillow for 30 minutes. The timing is also extremely important as this should be done just before the day you ovulate. You can get kits to calculate the exact day and try this method a couple of times during your ovulation days. It worked for me the very first time smile
My fitness level is normal. I wanted to share my experience because I am very very grateful to this forum from where I got this idea and also give hope to people who like me have struggled for months feeling insecure and frustrated.
Please let me know if you have any queries

Pinkiemum Mon 14-May-12 16:32:57

Worked for me twice, second time husband had hardly any sperm and most of them were dead, my gynaecologist did not believe I was pregnant. It only takes one sperm.

We used a small pippette and made sure I was aroused, orgasm is good if you can. Kept my legs in the air for half an hour, don't no if this helped, also being relaxed if possible I think helped me concieve, I did a 5km run the day I concieved, I truly believe that helped as I felt so ahppy afterwards.

Lokking at my miracle baby playing in his jumperoo such a happy boy.

bakky Sun 10-Jun-12 08:56:54

I have just got pregnant this way. I am also grateful to this and other forums for advice, so now that it has worked for me here are my tips. Hub had low motility - got him on preconception vitamins for men and daily blueberries. After ejaculation I used a sterile syringe,(did not leave to liquefy as did not see logic) did the business and a big 'O', then pillow under hips, slept for night. Used clearblue fm, took evening prim and cough syrup, did on last high and two peak days.

Shirley55 Mon 09-Jul-12 06:22:42

Hi, I suffer from vaginismis (painful intercourse) so my husband and I have just started to use a syringe in the hope of getting pregnant. All the comments and tips are really helpful but I have a few questions. Apologies for the descriptive content but to collect the sperm, I usually give my husband a blow job and then spit the contents into the syringe. Does anyone know if my saliva will kill sperm or this technique won't work? Would I be better off having him ejaculate into a cup instead? I also read that air temperature kills sperm so I thought perhaps having it briefly in my mouth and then into the syringe would be better than transferring from a cup to the syringe? Also, I see people have commented that having an organism afterwards is helpful. If you've got your legs in the air/raised after you have inserted the sperm, I think I would find it hard to orgasm in that position?! Any tips?!

chelseax Tue 17-Jul-12 20:26:53

hi, i was thinking about using this method with a turkey baester but wasn't sured if it worked or anything, i thought the sperm died as soon as it was outside the body or was in the air? how long does it last for before it dies?

LilyHart Mon 23-Jul-12 21:57:14

This is fascinating! How long does the sperm keep for?

iloveberries Tue 24-Jul-12 21:32:38

Interesting thread!
Saliva is NOT good for sperm though, hand not blow is the job to focus on!!
Goo luck everyone! X

soul69 Mon 13-Aug-12 05:28:45

Pinkiemum and bakky email me soul69@embarqmail.com my husband has the same issue and we've been trying to get pregnant for a couple years with no luck. Just discouraged, but now that I see ya'll got pregnant I feel their might be hope.

chi123 Mon 13-Aug-12 09:51:24

we are using syringe method to get pregnant from 4 days but when we are sending sperm it was coming out i don't no whether it was going or not.please suggest 1 and half year completed still now no pregnant.

Mumblepot26 Mon 20-Aug-12 23:25:31

Instead of a cup get him to masturbate with a condom on. We got pregnant twice this way,good luck.

blackcatsdancing Tue 21-Aug-12 08:43:44

re plug to keep the swimmers in. Try Instead soft cups, they can be purchased on Amazon.

blackcatsdancing Tue 21-Aug-12 08:49:35

not sure how long they live for outside the body as it depends. Main thing is to not let them dry out and to keep them warm. They should last a couple of hours at least, possibly double that.

pihu12 Mon 17-Sep-12 07:23:11

we are trying for pregnant we are using syringe method at home we use before and after ovulation so can i get pregnant.why we are using means my husband penis is not going in to my cervix.trying from 1 and half year.Can i get pregnant.

pihu12 Mon 17-Sep-12 07:27:00

we are trying for pregnant we are using syringe method at home we use before and after ovulation so can i get pregnant.why we are using means my husband penis is not going in to my cervix.trying from 1 and half year.

Preggomumma Mon 22-Jul-13 00:13:14

Thought I would add to this and tell you my experience! After nearly 2 years of trying for a 2nd baby (1 m/c about 5 months ago) I persuaded hubby to try the syringe method as a last ditch attempt before starting ivf (I'm 36 this year).... I'd worked out my cycle and had been tracking it the whole 2 years so had been covering all bases in terms of jiggy but nothing happening. Anyway this final month before our ivf appointment we tried the syringe method and pretty much did it everyday around ov, before during and after and it's worked! A 50cent syringe from the pharmacy has saved us thousands of dollars and the stress of ivf! I was also really ill over this time so there was no way I was up for any action anyway and tbh, if we do it alot in a short space of time I tend to get thrush and sore etc. Hubby did the deed in a clean pot and I'd put it in within about a minute or 2 and did the whole legs in air thing for about 15 mins each time. Hurrah! Hope this gives done of you hope :-)

RevoltingPeasant Mon 22-Jul-13 19:46:32

Ooh thanks! So kind of you to share. I just started a thread day or two dance about ttc with erectile dysfunction and I decided on the bas of that to use a turkey baster, or boaster as my iPad prefer grin

Congrats - how far along are you?

RevoltingPeasant Mon 22-Jul-13 19:47:11

a thread a day or two since

RaRaZ Tue 23-Jul-13 13:39:52

I read this with interest yesterday. I'd like to try it and we are ttc and things aren't happening as quickly as I'd like. I also have a retroverted uterus, and I worry that the angle of my vagina/cervix makes it harder for the sperm to get where they need to be! I was hoping to inject (by way of syringe!!!) the sperm straight through my cervix as it's nice and open during ovulation. However, DP finds this idea incredibly emasculating. Has anyone else found this? And how did you get past it?

RevoltingPeasant Tue 23-Jul-13 13:44:51

RaRa I don't know, but not wholly sure how to find my cervix. I mean, I know roughly where it is (not THAT dim grin ) but I wouldn't be able to find it accurately enough to shoot through it, I don't think.

DH also doesn't like the idea. It is difficult because I feel like he thinks it's a test of his Manhood, whereas I think the pressure to have penetrative intercourse is unhealthy (for us, with his ED) and it's just a means to an end.

RaRaZ Tue 23-Jul-13 13:55:47

I check my cervix and CM regularly so that wouldn't be a problem. I think I'd try and put a finger in to pinpoint the hole and then put the syringe in alongside so I could shoot it through.... sorry for tmi!!! blush

So has your DH 'allowed' you to do this? I think mine feels the same. I just want a baby quickly after everything I've been through so far, and I think this might be a way to achieve that...but he thinks it's ott, unhealthy, and emasculating hmm Dunno what to do sad

RevoltingPeasant Tue 23-Jul-13 18:41:14

Ra exactly. He sort of says "we'll if that's what you want..." But his expression goes all closed iykwim.

For me, penetrative sex is not this massive goal, having a husband with ED. it's nice but not necessary. We can do other stuff. But it is necessary for ttc so suddenly it becomes really stressy.

If we can do sth which avoids that stress and gives us a higher chance of bfp, I mean, why not?? Ttc is not romantic IMO, it's more like a frickin biology lesson hmm

But DH definitely sees it as me giving up on his ability to make me pg. I try to be sensitive to his feelings but sometimes I just want to burst with frustration as I'm 34 this week and I am too old for ivf on the NHS so we need to do it naturally or give up.

No help, I'm afraid sad

RevoltingPeasant Wed 24-Jul-13 09:06:02

Just randomly, had a chat with DH last night and tried to explain why I was finding this so frustrating. I don't think he really got it, but we agreed that we will try without turkey basters for 2-3 more months and then move to them in the autumn if nothing has happened.

RaRa I wonder if a compromise like that would help you?

RaRaZ Wed 24-Jul-13 21:08:38

I've kinda pushed him to think about it for next month (I'm ovulating atm and it was going to be too much for him right now), so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now