Falling pregnant with the mirena coil????

(98 Posts)
Sparkle123 Fri 21-Sep-07 14:48:23

Hi Everyone

Im new here.. have a bit of a dilemma.

Am on my second Mirena coil, had the first one put in 2001 after the birth of my daughter.. It was taken out in Feb this year as i developed PID from it. Had severe periods until i convinced my GP to put another one in 9 weeks ago.

Had my period 3 weeks after having it put in which was as normal as ever as it takes me about 6 months for it to cut the bleeding down.

Had my second period or what ever was of it.. on the 1st September (i have a 21 day cycle)but it was more like spotting then had 2 days of bleeding which wasn't even worth the energy as it wasn't really anything and came off after a bit more spotting.

Have no idea if this is anything to do with it but i had a coughing fit 2 weeks ago and the pain in my stomach was so intense i couldnt move and felt like i was being stabbed for a week after!!

I Have been experiencing severe exhaustion and constant nausea and a cross between diaorrhea and constipation for 2 weeks now and am getting really fed up with it. I went to my GP's at the beginning of the week and was told that i should take a pg test to be on the safe side. Told the gp id have to wait as with my daughter it didnt show up until 3 weeks after my period was due.

Has anyone else had these symptoms with the mirena and actually ended up pregnant as i dont think im that unlucky to be the 1%??

Desiderata Fri 21-Sep-07 19:09:29

Bumping for the Mirena girls

StaceySlater Sat 22-Sep-07 21:20:59

My mirena got stuck in the side of my uterus and had to be removed it turned out that I was pg and the removal of the mirena caused a mc.

Sparkle123 Sun 23-Sep-07 10:02:49

Thats terrible.. did they know why it got stuck? I can't quite understand how they move!

Still no sign of my period.. im putting it down to stress!!

I have the mirena coil fitted and my periods (which used to be regular as clockwork) are all over the place. Sometimes I go 6-8 weeks without one then just a few days of brown type bleeding and then nothing again for a few weeks. It is great not to get proper periods but annoying because I never know where I am in my cycle. NormaStanleyFletcher mentioned on another thread she got pg with the mirena coil but I couldn't pin her down to how as she wasn't around after that! I am a bit paranoid about it as when we aren't using anything dh only has to look at me sideways and I fall pg!

SS sad sorry to hear that, how awful for you.

StaceySlater Mon 24-Sep-07 09:35:49

They didn't offer an explanation as why it got stuck, I could feel it after about 3-4 weeks, it felt like it was digging in and it hurt when I sat down. I went back several times and was then referred for a scan. The ultrasound showed the coil stuck in the side and also a little tiny heartbeat. I was advised that the baby would survive if the coil stayed in but there was also a big change of mc is I had the coil removed, a no win situation really! The coil was removed (which was bloody painful) and about a day later I started miscarrying.

Sparkle123 Mon 24-Sep-07 14:50:25

Thats really sad.. sorry.

Ive got a pain in my left side today.. am hoping its a good sign that my periods on its way.. Im still exhausted but the sickness isn't as bad although i keep heaving at dodgy smells..

They say it takes up to 6 months for it to settle.. with my last one i had regular periods spot on for the first 6 months they just weren't very heavy.. Keep feeling like im coming on but i think thats just my paranoia setting in!

I can't even take a pg test as they don't show up??

StaceySlater Tue 25-Sep-07 09:36:49

Meant to say would NOT survive if coil stayed in.

StaceySlater Tue 25-Sep-07 09:38:00

Sparkle my pain felt like exactly what it was, a sharp, digging in pain. Like something was stuck. It was worse when i sat down and I bled for ages.

shembo Mon 11-Aug-08 22:41:51

I had a mirena fitted on the 25th July, at the same time as a laparoscopy so was under GA, luckily didn't have to suffer the discomfort of it going in! Anyway, was wondering how long you have to wait before having sex? The nurse told me I should wait until I had had my follow up with the gynecologist but he didn't mention it. He also told me it wasn't necessary to check for the strings? hmm bit confused. anyone help? thanks ladies x

shembo Mon 11-Aug-08 22:44:16

I'm sorry may not have posted this in the right place, just saw stuff about mirena, but then saw the topic about falling pregnant with the coil. staceyslater I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience x x

MissDown Mon 29-Sep-08 09:36:16

Sparkle how are you? I just found your thread after I posted my own, I have just found out I am PG with the mirena coil.

sneckie Sat 01-Nov-08 20:27:52

reading everyones threads about the mirena, I got mine fitted about 7 weeks ago, have had spotting lots since, nauseaus, dizziness, off foods, bloated, peeing, sore boobs, I know this is all symptoms of pregnancy, but can it be the hormones going over the place with having the coil fitted? can't get to shop till later in week to get a test, how likely is it?

sam150370 Thu 08-Jan-09 10:57:24

Hi
Just reading all threads,
Wondering if anyone can help me, I had mirena coil fitted after the birth of my son in 2002 after no joys of having implanon ( rod in arm ) I had quite regular bleeding after, although probably not quite so heavy as my periods had been, also i had all the symptoms of a period cramps, sore breasts, back aches etc. Anyway I was due to have a new mirena coil fitted in Feb last year 2007, which was done, I carried on with the same regular bleeding and period symptoms up until this month, I had a slight spotting in between my last period and the one I should have had last week. Last week end I had a slight spotting for 1 day but now nothing, Would this just be the mirena coil now actually stopping my periods after all this time?

clairelouise21 Tue 17-Feb-09 16:52:01

hello, i have just been reading the threads on here and i am a little worried.
i went on the depot injection after the birth of my son in 2003. this comletley stopped my periods. in may 2007 i was having really bad mood swings and headaches the doctor recommended that i changed to the coil. this couldnt be done until i had a period, the doctor ensured me that i would still be covered by the depot inj for many months after discontinued use. before my periods returned and the coil fitted i fell pregnant to my amazement, i had an abortion in january of last year and had the coil fitted at the same time. again still no periods or bleeding since the birth of my son. 10 dys ago i started with sickly feeling and very tender breasts, which i have had in precious pregnacy's. i did a home test that came back negative, visited the doc yesterday and she advised me to retest in 10 days, i am at my witts end and dont know what to do

loz1987 Mon 23-Mar-09 22:10:17

Hi there i have the minera coil fitted. ive had it fitted now for nearly 8 months but now experincing a lot of pain in the lower part of my belly. had it for the last 2 days now. Today i work uo feeling sick but whan i had a bit to eat i felt a bit better. im finding it hard to get comfortable sittin down and when i stand up. ive had rest less night sleeps due to it. thinking about doing a pregnacy test but thinking how can i get pregnant when i have the coil fitted. i no its not my period due as i was only on at the begening the month. reaaly dont no what to do can any one help me???

k1an Wed 01-Apr-09 14:55:15

hi i am new to this ....

i have a marina coil in and have exsperienced a lot of pains below hmm i am gaining wait and i am very tired all the time ... i feels sick but i dont throw up ... is it possibke that i could be pregant

mummykay2 Thu 28-May-09 22:35:13

hi i am new to this

i also have the marina coil and i havnt really bleed in about 6 months but about 3 weeks ago during sex i started to hurt down below and then i started to get stabbing pains and started to bleed the pains just starting to wear off ive got a doctors appointment on wednesday but i cant help but worrie that its moved and i could fall pregnant i would be great full for any advice thanks

LeahsMom Mon 01-Jun-09 20:19:23

Hello All - i have had mine in for 2 months, been feeling really sick (throwing up lots, eating like crazy, suddenly sore chest) -suddenly found out 2other ladies in my town fell pregnant on Marina..really stressed. Can any of you tell me if you know of others that have fallen pg..is this common?
My daughter is just over 1year so I remember clearly the symtoms!

georgied Sun 21-Jun-09 09:07:42

Hi, I've just realised I can no longer feel the strings of my mirena coil, has anyone experienced this and what does it mean. I'm 100% sure it hasn't fallen out but I'm a bit worried as to where its gone!

Divvy Sun 21-Jun-09 10:49:02

The strings soften and coil up around the cervix after a few months, so maybe thats why you cant feel them.

Maybe go see a nurse get her to have a look for you

rachsot Sun 05-Jul-09 19:29:18

hello

was looking what every 1 had to say.

ive got a copper coil had it now for 9 months my periods are every 31 days and lasts 7 days .
im 4 days late now and cant stop thinking about it so i no thats not helping me start my period. was woundering how long i should wait to do a test . or should i not bother as i see that few of you have said it dont show on home test.
thanks

Mumsnut Sun 05-Jul-09 19:48:37

Sparkle, I know two ladies whose Mirena 'migrated' through the side of the womb. Please go to your GP and get it checked.

borinbugger Sun 05-Jul-09 20:15:45

i fell pg with mirena too. miscarried early on as coil must have got stuck then moved.
was still upset ,even though i was using contraception

Meanbeansmum Sun 05-Jul-09 21:02:54

I haven't read all the replies, sorry. blush. Just wanted top tell you my experience.
I had mine fitted, bled for 2 weeks, then some slight spotting then I didn't have af for 6 months, then a month later it fell out when I was in the bath....shock.

I think you should get it checked, I hope everything is ok.xxx

Hayleyw Mon 20-Jul-09 09:12:20

Hi Guys Im Having the same problem, I had the Mirena fitted last feb, and havnt had a period for the last 3 months, as of yesterday i have started having the same symptoms as when i was pregnant really sore tender nipples and yesterday started to feel sick and dizzy, i also did a prgnancy test last week as i thought the coil had moved as i couldnt feel the strings, anyway the pregnancy test was neg!!! I went to the docs and she checked to make sure it was still in place, she said it was and the strings had probably just softened as time goes on but i cant stop thinking that i am pregnant!! Not sure what to do????

HellsNB Mon 20-Jul-09 13:51:20

My friend had the mirena coil and was in extreme pain so went to A&E and discovered she had an eptopic pregnancy on her ovary. She needed surgery and a few days in hospital but is well again now. I just thought I would add my knowledge on this in case it is any help... smile

romseygirl Wed 19-Aug-09 11:02:40

I had my first Mirena Coil fitted 8 years ago after the birth of my youngest, I am now on my second Mirena Coil. In the whole 8 years of having the coil fitted i have never had a period (which has been fantastic) and apart from headaches which could or could not be related all has been fine! But in the last few weeks i have been getting pregnancy symptoms, sore breasts, needing the toilet alot, feeling sick etc. I took a test at the beginning of the week and it came back negative!! But as with some previous posts i cannot help but think i am pregnant, its all too familiar.....

jdandcola Tue 22-Sep-09 21:16:15

Hi everyone.I had the mirena fitted approx 1 year ago and after suffering loads with severe mood swings,headaches,weight gain etc i finally removed it while in the bath 2 days ago.I started to experience slight discomfort straight away but nothing major.Today though i have been bleeding quite abit with clots(sorry for being graphic!!).Did any of you who removed the coil yourselves have similiar problems?

jdandcola Tue 22-Sep-09 21:24:47

I forgot to write that i was in the middle of my period when i removed the mirena.The period was very light before i took the coil out but the very next day i started the heavy bleeding.Maybe the bleeding is my periods returning to normal but i didn't think my body would go back to pre coil state so soon.HELP!!

molehill Fri 25-Sep-09 20:53:25

I have just been reading all the posts and am concerned that i may be pregnant too. I had the mirena coil fitted in february. I've remained regular, every 28 days, but a week and a half after my period, my breasts started to enlarged and they have become tender. This is extremley familiar as i've had 2 children I've been having cramps that remind me of braxton hicks and i am receptive to smells!! Am due on next week, but i have already been to see my gp as i've been having pain too. I've had 5 negative pregnany tests, but am still convinced!!!

chick559 Thu 01-Oct-09 14:58:38

I had the mirena coil fitted on 28th August. Before that I was on the pill and my periods were always regular. I've never been pregnant so not too sure on the signs. After the coil was fitted i had spotting for 2 weeks, I've not had anything since, for 3 weeks. I now need to pee all the time, have had pain in my lower abdomen, and my breasts are so sore. Could this mean i'm pregnant? Havent done a test yet.

sweetchic Mon 14-Dec-09 23:46:25

Hi romseygirl, I've just been reading everyones posts and was just wondering what happened with you!! I'm in the same situation as yourself, I had the marena fitted in december 2003 so its been 3 years for me now with no periods whatsoever but over the last 2 months or so I've been extremley drowsy, passing alot of water and over the last 3 weeks I've started to get alot of severe lower stomach pain and my nipples are very sore!!

BrettsGirl Sun 03-Jan-10 14:53:06

hi ladies, im new here and found this thread via google!
just wrapping my head round the site but im struggling to create my own thread? anyways! i had my mirena coil fitted about 2 years ago now and had no problems what so ever! no periods or anything! back in july/august i started to bleed my doctor put me on meds to stop the bleeding wile i went on holiday...happy days...i returned home stopped the meds and started bleeding again! it got so bad i was rushed to hospital with suspected ectopic pregnancy! came bag neg! so... i was told i may be one of the few sufferers of what they call 'sporadic bleeding' where i would randomly bleed then stop again..the problem being i dont exactly stop? i have had many days worth of pain... so then my doc put me on tranesamic acid... to stop bleeding, these should stop it completely...but it hasnt stopped as such.. i still have to wear a pantyliner! so when im not so bad if i do have sex it hurts and feels like a HUGE pressure build up in my womb/cervix! im also getting period pains.. which i havent had since having my daughter! can anybody help me? also im currently on amoxcicillin..does this cancel out my hormoan within the coil like it does the pill? hope your all well

PandaEisGOTABFP Sun 03-Jan-10 15:00:40

hi, brettsgirl welcome to MNsmile

i would be tempted to say that maybe your body is not at all likeing the coil. i had VERY heavy very painful periods when i had my coil in and i have decided that i will definitely not get it again in the future as my usual periods are usually quite light and pain free. my GP said that my periods/pain was caused by my uterus trying to expel the iud and basically said put up with it or have it taken outhmm i had it removed in sept 07 for TTC (trying to concieve) and it was definitely a relief to not have the pain and fast flowing heavy AF<ouch>

i would maybe try and post this in health aswell as there may be some more medically minded people over theresmile

victoria1980 Tue 26-Jan-10 12:48:00

hi ladies im new here but was looking for a bit of advice. i've had my marena coil for nearly 5 years and am due to have it replaced in a couple of months. since having the coil i havent missed 1 period or been late until now i am over 2 weeks late and beginning to panic not sure if doing a pregnancy test will work cos some say you get false negatives and wondered how effective these coils are and they get close to their sell by date any help would be gratefully recieved

k8mumof3 Sun 28-Mar-10 10:16:51

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me... I had my merina coil fitted last august (2009) after havin it inserted i bled for roughly 5 weeks i then had another period at the end of oct.. I then had nothing until 5 weeks ago when i had a period followed by one exactly 21 days later i now have terible pains in my lower sides which hurts me to walk sometimes and feel very sick most of the day..i also have hot sweats followed directlyn by cold shivers...
please can anyone help??

SparrowGirl Sun 28-Mar-10 15:31:08

Hi k8mumof3. I would strongly suggest that you go and see your gp as soon a possible and get this checked! Tell them that you have a merina fitted and that you are getting abdominal pains in your side and they should sort you an appointment sharpish.

I had a merina for 4 years and never had a problem with it (stopped periods as well which I consider a massive bonus) so these problems may be completely unrelated to the coil. However, if you are having any abdominal pains with it then you should go and get it checked out. You may also want to consider another form of contraception, just because the merina was a godsend for me doesn't mean that it is the right thing for you. You could try the implant instead as I've had a few friends who use it and think it's great.

emmmmq Mon 29-Mar-10 20:28:17

Hi SparrowGirl, I have just seen your post. I was wondering did you have trouble conceiving after having the Merina removed? I have had mine in for 4 1/2 years and it is due to be removed later this year.

Thanks

SparrowGirl Mon 29-Mar-10 20:36:35

Well I haven't managed it yet but it has only been out since January so not very long really. I found my periods have settled back to normal pretty much straight away which is encouraging, though after not having any for 4 years it was a bit of a shock suddenly bleeding for 4 days!

Lots of luck smile

lostinwales Mon 29-Mar-10 20:38:19

emmmmq, just let you know I had my coil removed and gave birth exactly 40 weeks later smile. i'd had it three years.

And to everyone else I've had two Mirena's over the last eight years, and have a pregnancy panic approx every 6 months due to lack of periods, I get all the symptoms, convince myself and spend a fortune on neg tests until I calm myself down again. (Although maybe this is because I'd LOVE to get PG again and have a coil so DH dosen't go for the snip!)

SparrowGirl Mon 29-Mar-10 20:52:08

lostinwales I did exactly the same thing when I had mine in! Possibly this was also linked to a not so secret desire for a baby. Ho hum grin

Still I must say I rather miss it now it's out. Periods are rubbish! Can't wait to stop having them again and will be getting the merina put back as soon as possible after production of offspring is completed.

emmmmq Mon 29-Mar-10 21:06:47

hi, thanks for the info :0) I guess it is just a case of waiting to see what happens! Just scary not having bled for 5 whole years lol x

xxcullenxx Tue 18-May-10 18:33:41

hi all was just passing by and saw this thread
i have been on the marina coil 4 aroun a year and a half and had no problems until now
i have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms and have had positive and neg pregnancy tests
have a scan tomorow was just wondering if anyone else has been through or going through this and have any good advice they can offer ?

heartbrokenlyinlove Tue 18-May-10 23:12:29

hi there was just reading all the messages x i have a dilemma myself, i had the mirena fitted around three and half years ago, about two months i felt very pregnant, the usual symptoms sor boobs feeling sick ect... did a test which was negative.. the symptoms havnt gone away and today i have a strange bleeding.. brown in colour with clots ( i have had no periods since having coil fitted) i also have stomach cramps which are quite persistent.... i really can not be pregnant now as my relationship broke down last week.. help please

xxcullenxx Thu 10-Jun-10 16:46:33

hey its me again had my scan and they couldnt find anything and the coil was still in place then started to have unbelievable pains in my sides and and down my legs so then they sent me to aberdeen as a suspected ectopic but it wasnt i was in fact pregnant and had misscarried at 6 weeks needless to say i eas not happy with my gp for sending me home i still have the marina in but i am getting it removed next week

xxcullenxx Thu 10-Jun-10 16:47:55

that face was supposed to be an angry face

2blugrus Sun 25-Jul-10 12:50:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beckie90 Sun 25-Jul-10 15:23:20

hiya

i had the marina coil after having my son and i developed symptoms like pregnancy i was convinced and kept taking tests all time, and it made my periods stop all together too, so that didnt help either.

so i looked it up on internet, and there was plenty of simular storys to mine.

so i had it taken out and now i feel fine

xxcullenxx Sat 07-Aug-10 02:22:41

hi all just to let you all know that i might be havin my coil removed i say might as the docs think i may in fact be pregnant again omg!!!! i feel pregnant all the sighns are pointin towards it the symptom plus a barely positive result this mornin needles to say im nervous as what happened the last time but if in fact im not pregnant then im having it removed on th 16 of thus month and will never have it replaced !!

broodywantcoilout Tue 24-Aug-10 20:34:12

hi everyone
im desperate to ttc #3, but after not being able to find strings, today scans failed to find my mirena, so they sent me for an x-ray, the woman said she 'thinks its in my pelvis'!!!
how did it get there, how will it be removed and can i fall preganant healthily with it there?

Carrie1075 Wed 25-Aug-10 19:17:39

Hi i have had the mirena coil in for 3 years and never had a period or probs but lately (about 3 weeks) been feeling very sick and have very sore breasts, i've taken 1 test and it said negative but it was a very cheap one and i did one when i thought i was preg with my 4 year old and it said neg so shall i get a dearer one??

choufleur Wed 25-Aug-10 19:23:28

It's very unusual but people do get pregnant with the mirena in: I did. If you are pregnant you need to have it removed asap. I miscarried after having it removed (there is a high risk that will happen apparently).

kat026 Fri 05-Nov-10 12:51:42

just read everyones comments, i have 3 young children and last week had a surgical termination of pregnancy due to my extreme morning sickness[well all day and night sickness] my gp tried every anti sickness drug going including injections but nothing wud stop it, i was admitted to hospital so many times with dehydration and painful kidneys as they were not working due to the dehydration and i cud not put up with it anymore so i used a desperate measure to dtop it, i also got the mirena coil fitted but i am getting really bad shooting pains in my cervix area and i tried to feel for the threads but cud only feel a small hard lump, does this meen it has moved and i shud go get it checked?

joannex Wed 24-Nov-10 11:38:41

Feel preg, same as my previous pregnancy (have 6yr old Son) but can I be when on Mirena for 9 months? I had it put in in Feb and have bled or stained ever since, even become anemic, etc. Bleeding finally stopped 2 wks ago but now have preg symptoms. Will I miscarry if I am preg, when they take the coil out? NOTE> I'm on Epilepsy meds which reduce coil's effectiveness from 99% to 95%, which is adding to my belief that I could be preg. Please help if you have any input...??

bellylicious Wed 24-Nov-10 17:15:08

i had the mirena coil in 2001-2004 when it had to be removed due to guess what pregnancy, i was however super lucky not to mc at the time and gave birth later that year to a healthy 8lb baby boy

i will never have a coil fitted again i sufferd with pain infrequent bleeding with no rythm then obviously the unexpected pregnancy

girls get yourselfs down the docs, cos wow there seems to be a few of you who are feeling off

c4rl4 Thu 25-Nov-10 11:56:14

Hiya i had the mirena coil fitted in may and have had regular bleeding (altho not a lot) i have not had anything in 6 weeks and have been feeling sick at the same time for the last 3-4 days (which are same symtoms as i had with my 1st son ) i have had tender breasts throughout so am very confused i have phoned gp and spoken to receptionist !!! who said NO CHANCE!! but really feel as if i am pregnant i am only worried as to what effects this will have as having read about the possiblity of mc i think i would be devastated as we were planning our 3rd child for next year and having the coil removed after xmas. i am going to buy a test this afternoon !

bellylicious Thu 25-Nov-10 20:30:29

has anyone had any results good/bad
hope you are all ok
x

AstroZola Thu 25-Nov-10 21:25:35

Hi
I had the Mirena coil fitted under GA last September as was having laparoscopy for endometriosis...i've just had the op for the 2nd time this September...and according to surgeons alls well...i stopped periods about 1-2 months after it was put in last year and haven't really had one since...my boobs get ocassionally sore and i've just posted on another thread actually if you can still get EWCM whilst on the Mirena coil?? I think i've been seeing it for the last few days...anybody know? x

Ladyrattles Mon 06-Dec-10 01:14:35

Advice needed!!

I had my Mirena taken out 6 weeks ago after having it in for a year. I got it taken out due to nausea, water retention and breast tenderness that had got worse in the last few months. I bled for 3 days after having it out but have had no period since.

My husband says I can't be pregnant as we have used condoms since having it removed. I haven't tested yet as I got negative results with all three of my kids until 8-10 weeks into pregnancy and I'm terrified to test yet as I had a bad mc 18months ago and needed surgery. They put a mirena in after my periods got worse after having the surgery.

I am wondering if I was pregnant before having the mirena removed? Or maybe it is not uncommon to skip a period after having it removed? I feel a bit nauseous but wonder if that is just wishful thinking.

bellylicious Mon 06-Dec-10 11:02:50

i hope everyone is ok ?

CaJoyce Fri 07-Jan-11 21:13:22

Hi ladies, just read threw all you post as I came across this thread on the net because I am to thinking that I am pregnant...
I have had the mirena coil for around a year and a half now and not had 1 period since it was fitted (brilliant :-D) over the past month or so I've been feeling sick, getting alot of acid in my stomach, heart burn, diahorrea, always hungry, extremly tired ... Over the past 2 weeks my stomach has bloated Feeling alot of bubbles and my one breast has enlarged.... To b honest I had the coil to stop me getting pregnant so I'm hoping I'm not .. I am getting a test done in the morning wether it shows up or not I'll soon find out I keep telling myself I can't be pregnant it's obviously something else a stomach flu maybe .. I dnt know...
I've never been able to feel my strings to my coil but I've never had any pain or discomfort from it either..
I guess I will see wat the result is tommoro ... Hope l you ladies out there that have these same symptoms have figured out what it is .. Xx glad I'm not the only one experiencing this

Kazamataz79 Thu 03-Feb-11 13:50:44

Hi
I've had a Mirena coil for 2 years and have not had a period for at least a year now smile. Been on holiday away from kids and have had sex constantly!!! blush
But now can't find the strings and I'm feeling really really tired sad. Been sick twice but feel nausaus all the time and I am constantly hungry yet on holiday wasn't at all hungry. Don't think there's much point in doing a pregnancy test as it would be too soon confused. My question is... can a pregnancy last with the coil still in?

Secretwishescometrue Thu 03-Feb-11 14:10:02

Hi kaza my mum got pg with my older brother with the coil in and he was fine thankfully. I hope you get the result you want this thread is quite old you might get a lot more replies and more helpful mumsnetters then myself along to give you some advice if you start a new thread. Best of luck

Baby2000 Mon 21-Feb-11 15:18:11

Hi all i am wondering the same i have the marine coil in have had it in since middle of oct 2010 and started having sex in jan 2011 but last time we done it alot and since then i have been feeling very sick over last 4 days and mega tired funny feelings in belly.no sure wither 2 take a test or wither it will be 2 early any suggestion???

Just wanted to add my story; I have a history of failed protection - first child conceived on the pill, then a failed condom AND failed morning after pill. After that I had the Mirena put in, and 6 months of much heavier periods than ever before. Then they stopped. I thought it was the mirena working its magic, as I had been told bleeding would stop after 6 months or so. Well, in my case it was pregnancy. They were worried it might be ectopic, but knowing my history of fertility I didn't believe it, and sure enough there was the heartbeat inside the uterus - he is now almost 2 and the pregnancy continued fine despite them not finding the mirena on scans or ultrasounds. I heard after this surprise pregnancy that people who have fallen pregnant while on the combined pill are also more likely to fall pregnant with the Mirena as it works in a similar way...

Have to say - I don't regret it - my toddler is amazing and has perfectly rounded off our family...

smiliebabz Tue 29-Mar-11 23:18:33

Hi, i came across this page on google when i searched could i be pregnant on the coil, i had the coil fitted in december 2010, i bled for six weeks very heavy and have now started bleeding again 3 weeks ago, my stomach is bloated n rock solid look like i'm well pregnant and suffering exteme pain at times. I fell pregnant on my son while on the pill and was told this is 99% it will work. I'm so scared that i am pregnant again and i so dont want to be as the coil would create so many problems itself. help

PeachStrawberry19 Sat 18-Jun-11 11:22:58

Hi, I had the Mirena Coil fitted a year and a half ago and the first 6 months I felt groggy and lethargic and still had periods and cramps. Since though, just get bit of spotting one day every 3-6 weeks and no cramps. However, the past 5 days I've had bad cramps and due on yesterday and having to take extra paraceetomol for the pain. Could I be pregant on? I'll do a test to make sure as get quite paranoid every month in case I am or not. If I was pregnant, would I necessarily have to have an abortion as I would hate to have to do that. Could a baby be born healthily if Mirena Coil removed straight away? Thanks for any advice.

Schoalesey Thu 23-Jun-11 14:38:52

A word of warning ladies - I fell pregnant three weeks after the Mirena Coil was inserted last November. Docs are still unsure if the heavy bleed I suffered after insertion pushed it out, or if it somehow became dislodged and is still floating around my womb somewhere. I had to get quite a few scans and examinations after I realised I was pregnant, but they couldn't find it. They didn't seem too worried about possible damage to the foetus though, and my pregnancy progressed as normal (am now 30 wks). Since I fell pregnant, I've heard lots of similar stories of women conceiving on the Mirena Coil, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it! Gx

joamba Mon 04-Jul-11 12:07:37

Hi i to have the mirena coil had it inserted last June 2010. i have got 2 kids don't want anymore but have found out i am pregnant as coil gone walkabout. this is my 3rd coil not had no problems before with it, only went to doctors cos i couldn't feel threads so one hell of a shock. i have had a scan and they cannot locate the coil so will need an xray to when i have had the baby. the nurse informed me she did not know anyone who got pregnant with coil she made me feel as i had done something but now i feel reassured it does happen.

laylakatie Mon 11-Jul-11 18:37:00

Hi, i came accross this site whilst looking for some advice.Ive had the Mirena coil fitted for just over a year now and Im currently 3 months late and have had 2 negative test so far. Ive noticed that ive put on weight, am constantly bloated and the smell of some food is turning my stomach. Im tired a lot of the time and a bit moody. Ive also noticed that im craving some certain foods. I also go to the toilet a lot. I am suffering some cramps which make me think that i can expect my period but nothing ever comes. Sex can some times be a bit painful. Does any one think that this could mean that im pregnant?! The only other thing i will say is that ive suffered with mild depression and am currently taking meds for this, how ever i have never felt better with this so cant understand how all of a sudden my perios would stop due to stress?! Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. :O)

Debbie929 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:47:06

I had my second coil fitted last December at the same time as a laproscopy. I was bloated from the op for quite a few months, then noticed I was starting to gain weight. I have put on 21 pounds since the operation and in the past few months I have been in pain with my stomach. My whole stomach feels inflamed but strangely I do feel pregnant. I have had 2 tests, both negative, but I am convinced something is not right. My weight gain all seems to be in the front tum area and I can only wear elasticated trousers now. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I am having an ultrasound on the 21st October, really worriedsad

kezzad31 Mon 10-Oct-11 20:37:28

hi all reading through you posts and i am experiencing the same simptoms, although i must admit i have had my coil in now for what i can estimate over 6 - 7 years , i contacted the local family planning where i had it fitted and they had lost my details so i can only estimate how long i have had it fitted , up untill recently i have been fine untill the past few months where as abaove i now have really really sore boobs, weight gain and also very sensative to certain smells , and the lack of energy is really getting me down now ,

Debbie929 Mon 10-Oct-11 23:15:32

I had my first mirena 4 years, and only had this one since december 2010. The first one was fine, but been feeling pretty rough with the second, more so in the past 3-4 months. I think they estimate they last for about 5 years so kez yours might be ending soon. I would love to do without the coil but had horrendous periods before and not sure I want to go back to that at my age, 51.

tashay Mon 17-Oct-11 15:06:29

hi i had the marina coil put in june 2011 and ive started gettin sore breasts fellin hungry all the time and ive put on some weight could i be pg i have 3 children already has anyone had the same problems as me and been pregnant ??

Beedee1 Thu 27-Oct-11 22:30:56

hi ladies hope someone will be able to help with my questions.

I had the mirena fitted in january 2011 as i was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and suffered rom very painful and long heavy periods.

I have put on nearly 2 stones since January and am just continuing to put on weight no matter what diet i am on !?!? will this ever stop ??

I havent actually had a period since it was fitted which at first i thought was brilliant except i get the normal period symptoms for 3 weeks of the month instead , bloating, feeling hungry, miserable etc !!

Me and My partner want to start trying for a baby soon and i'm aware it could be difficult anyway with my condition but does it usually take a long time for your body and hormones to go back to normal once it is removed like the pill ?

Erenee123 Sat 07-Jan-12 02:39:05

I currently have Mirena and have had the same symptoms that everyone else is having. I thought that it could be a problem with cysts, considering my family history. I have been spotting frequently for months. On two occasions the spotted was very heavy and painful (and scary). Considering what everyone else has written, I'm starting to believe that those could have been miscarriages. Ultrasounds show that Mirena has been dislodged and now rests completely on my left side. Some times I have really bad pain on that side, I'm sure that's why. My doctor has put me on estrogen to stop the spotting when it occurs, but the prescription is very expensive. My husband and I are ready to just take it out and try something else. I just hate that we have to do this since for the first couple of years it worked great. I have had it for 3 years now and I'm done. I will NEVER recommend it to anyone else. I've been putting off the removal, but based on these postings, I've put it off long enough.

amzie121 Fri 13-Jan-12 16:20:06

I have been on the coil for 5 months and had regular periods every month until now. I'm 12 days late and having pressure and stabbing pains in my lower abdomen feeling sick and swore breasts. I am really bloated and very uncomfortable. I checked for the cords of my coil but can't find them and since having it put in I haven't had it checked by my doctor. My friends are scaring me saying I could be pregnant. I don't know what to do can anyone help me?!

bugsylugs Fri 13-Jan-12 16:53:02

Do a pregnancy test in the morning with first wee. If neg and you still cannot feel the threads book appt to see nurse / Dr so they can have a look. Dr do not need to check mirena is in after it has been inserted. Every women who has one should check for the thread as soon as period has finished every single month. They can come out with the flow and can move. Good luck

amzie121 Fri 20-Jan-12 18:51:03

Still no period and still getting all the same pains. Got a doctors appointment booked for tuesday so will hopefully find out. Did two tests and both neg but haven't done 1 since tuesday so will do another on the morning before the doctors!

billi1 Fri 25-May-12 10:14:07

im only 17, i got the implant 2 year ago for contraception with my long term boyfriend, i got rid of that because i was constantly on my periods and had to take the pill aswell as the implant, so i got the marina coil fitted about 5 weeks ago, the doctors didnt say when i could have sex, i ended up doing it 6 days after getting the coil ever since ive started getting wierd thigs like really bad heart burn for at least 5 days running, migranes really bad, feeling really sick on a morning but not acually being sick, im just abit worried if i gt a pg test would it show up. im scared x

billi1 Fri 25-May-12 10:14:40

and i still havnt had one sign of a period yet too x

lantaa Fri 08-Jun-12 22:24:08

am 18 years old and in a healthy relationship i had the coil fitted 10th may 2012. waited 2-3 weeks like my doc said to have sex. me and my boyfriend had sex and now weird things are happening and I'm worried i maybe pregnant. i did fall pregnant 2 years ago and miscarried and i am feeling how i felt couple of years ago. my doc said i should come on my period like normal first couple of months with the coil. i haven't come on yet. i am having cramps back ache my breasts are sore and I'm tired and tonight i just just had diarrhoea but it was just once. my boyfriend keeps saying that I'm not pregnant and just over worrying but I'm scared to tell my mum just incase she tells me I'm being stupid as she has had the coil twice now and hasn't fallen pregnant. I'm starting to worry now as i really don't want to be pregnant! i know pregnancy can happen on the coil and can be dangerous but can someone please tell me I'm just over reacting!

Just5minspeace Fri 08-Jun-12 22:53:24

Try not to worry but get yourself a test tomorrow. Once you know you can take it from there. It would be unlucky. Fingers crossed for you.

Iris7 Sun 30-Sep-12 09:14:39

Hi all.
Yesterday I discovered I was pregnant, despite having the mirena coil!!
I swiftly had it removed.
What can I expect now?
Is miscarriage inevitable and imminent?
Any experience of this on here? Hospital vague am freaking out a little over whole thing
Thanks ladies
So ps yes it is possible to conceive with the mirena coil. And I'm 38!!

Rgnthom1 Wed 07-Nov-12 14:33:39

Hi I'm new to this... I've not been pg before however I've been on the merina coil since march 2011, and at first it was great i didnt get periods or if i did they were fine but recently I've started gaining weight, my breasts are noticeably bigger and have been sore, I feel sick but haven't thrown up, I get pains in my stomach and sides and have very irregular spotting and i never have a regular period, also I get quite a lot of headaches and been getting mood swings lately oh and another thing is I sometimes have shooting pains during sex and recently found that sex seems to cause spotting.... I'm getting quite concerned and was wondering if anyone has had any of this and what to do ?? :s thanks

20proudmammy12 Sun 11-Nov-12 23:13:22

hi im new on here and looking for some advice i got the coil in 17 days ago and they told me not to have sex for 7 days but me not counting my days of havin it in properly had sex on the 6th day and my partner did the deed up me!! ive bin bleeding ever since ive got the coil fitted but also have a strong feeling pregnant could it be possiblee? i already have a 7 month old baby boy! smile any advice would be great thank youu x

ShortyNTS Mon 03-Dec-12 19:09:14

Hi, I'm new here to!
And I with I had done my research before having my marina coil fitted, it was fitted on 14 sept, x2 periods later on a regular 28 day cycle, I have found out I am pregnant. To say that I am not impressed does not cover it, as I have a 5 month old now.
I have been scanned, prodded, poked and operated on due to the hospital thinking it was ectopic an the coil has been removed, but found nothing. But then they still can not locate the pregnancy. However I am feeling slightly upset, my hospital seem to be pleased for me that I am pregnant, like I was planning it on the coil!? My husband an I are not against keeping or terminating the pregnancy, but we want to know the risks for both options, can anyone advise?
Many thanks

Bubbles26 Tue 14-May-13 11:38:43

Hi,

I've had my coil since February last year. I've been having pains since about June. I've been back to my local clinic about 2-3 times a month and they pass me around then tell me to wait a couple of months and see how it goes. I miscarried 2 years ago, and kinda still remember what it felt like to be pregnant, I'm having all these same feelings I did last time, except I have really sharp shooting pains. Finally after a year of the pain my GP has agreed to remove it, as I have picked up countless infections since having it put in, I've had one partner since having it in, and we're both loyal and haven't cheated, unfortunately the GP doesn't know what the problem is, and there is no way of checking whether it is the coil causing the pain until it is removed! Reading through all the comments, I've seen that this problem is common! Both me and my partner are too young to have a child, but could it be the hormones that is causing the problem?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

saddie123 Wed 15-May-13 00:22:15

hi there I have the coil and I am getting the symptoms of being pregnant eg my boobs have got bigger and they are sore and I have gone off some food and am craving others I dno what I should do all the pregnancy tests came back negative has anyone ells had this I have been told my marina treads have come off so I am not sure what to do any help please.

loopybear Mon 27-May-13 18:57:26

I had the same symptoms my fabulous gp explained its a side effect but that I should keep a note and keep testing as in the past ( I have history of ectopic pregnancy)

ggbaby Thu 20-Jun-13 10:58:48

Hi everyone. This is my first time on here and kinda freaking out. I have the marina coil fitted to help with my periods. I thought in march I was pg cos I was getting some symptoms as was getting pains in lower abdominal pains. Lucky I wasnt when I had a scan. Now im getting even more symptoms of pg I.e heart burn feeling tired sore breasts. Took test was neg. I really dont know what to do. And recently got dark brown discharge and periods all over place. I know a few friends who still had periods when they where pg. Please can someone help me? Advice will be appreciated.

Genna26 Tue 10-Sep-13 22:03:19

hi every1 new to the site...had the marina coil fitted around 9 mths ago, had light periods every 2 wks for around 2-3 days doctor said it should settle down but never did...recently ive been convinced im pregnant, all same symptoms as with my other pregnancies= white nipples, weird dreams, feeling constantly tired, sickness and the worst thing my stomach has got bigger and harder and more ball shaped im really panicking ive done various tests but all negative!!
and to top it all off went to toilet last night and could feel the string hanging out and its still there now....ive also been feeling strong movements in my stomach...is it all in my head or am i actually pregnant is the coil giving the test wrong results..driving myself crazy here!! sorry for the rant but can any1 make any light of all this please?? thanx xx

jeorge89 Tue 07-Jan-14 00:17:36

Hi all...I'm a young mum ov 3 beautiful boys and recently had the marina coil fitted in spetember ..I've had around 2 weeks ov not bleeding apart from the odd morning I'll get up with nothin then boom its started agen n its reali doin my head in now I'm constantly wearin a pad....but then the past cuple ov weeks I've been feelin rubbish n thn a cuple ov days ago I started loosin agen but its literally like black/reddy colour n I'm gettin bad pain makein hard t walk or lift my legs in my left hand side around the ovary area..I also have a tilted womb so cud this b causin it ..its feels quite strange ...advice from other ladies wud b luvli ..thnx

Marief1984 Fri 17-Jan-14 18:44:56

I'm the same at moment . I have had the coil for about 9 months now and had a period well I'd start very heavy for a day stop then have day off and bleed abit more . But this month I've got pains but not a server as the normal period pains I have had , eating loads specially chilly powder I want it in everything I eat. My boobs are very sore and fuller , no sickness but loosing thick white mucus . I keep getting niggly pains in my right side but nothing too painfull . I'm worried I'm pregnant test shown negative . But friends are saying I'm showing signs of pregnancy .

Charxxx369 Mon 20-Jan-14 02:47:41

Hi there,

I've had my coil in for just over 4years.. I have tried most contraceptives but nothing seemed to agree with me until this, 3 different pills that I couldn't keep down, injection with was terrible depression and cyst on my ovaries, implant which gave me non stop bleeding and condoms gave me infections.. This has been a nonstop trial for over 10 years.. They have slightly worked seeing as I don't have any children so I try not complain too much - however getting back to my point.. Coil in 4 years and not one period, not any problems until recently I've been having stomach cramps (2weeks) and I strangly had a full blood period with horrendous pain.. I called the out of hours doctors and they don't really help too much.. Just told me to use condoms that don't have the latex on...... This hasn't really helped me.. Just wondering if anybody has experienced the same and if so what is it.. I'm due for a smear test, should I get then to look or do they do that anyway? Sorry about the long message. X

TetleysOrange Mon 26-May-14 16:33:24

What in the loving, hell of fuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now