How long before trip to GP?

(10 Posts)
happybus28 Mon 21-Nov-16 13:30:58

Hi all,

Came off the pill in May and since then have been having very irregular long cycles that don't look to be getting any better. I got my hopes up last month with a 29 day cycle & hoped I was turning a corner but now on CD32 and not even had a positive OPK yet. My cycles since stopping pill have been as follows...

Cycle 1 - 42 days
Cycle 2 - 51 days
Cycle 3- 41 days
Cycle 4 - 29 days
Cycle 5 - CD31 and counting, no positive OPK and no sign of AF.

With cycles 2 and 3 I experienced quite intense pain in the days leading up to AF, literally couldn't stand or move was in that much pain. Not had anything that bad since though. I'm just at a bit of a loss as to what to do really and it's really getting my down that I have no idea what my body is doing. Is it too soon to seek advice from my GP or will they tell me to wait longer? Any advice would be appreciated.

MrsG280516 Mon 21-Nov-16 14:11:26

Unfortunately I don't think your GP will be able to do anything. Irregular cycles plus other health problems could be a reason to undergo some investigations. However the irregular cycles on their own, are a very common problem for many women and it isn't causing you any pain (apart from period pain) so they just wouldn't see any need to look into things.

If you were TTC for 12 months+ then they might look into it as a potential fertility issue but for now I would just keep track of your cycles, maybe look into some supplements that can potentially bring your cycle length down. Are you taking any multivitamins?

happybus28 Mon 21-Nov-16 14:29:40

Yeah I thought that would be the case mrsG thanks for your reply. It's just so frustrating! I've been taking folic acid since stopping the pill and also have been trying Agnus Castus since cycle 2, kinda worked last month I think as 29 day cycle but seems to be another long one this time! Do you know of any other supplements that may help?

MouseLove Mon 21-Nov-16 15:04:20

I was told to expect irregular cycles for at least 6 months. But it might take up to a year for my cycles to become regular since I was on BC for over 10 years.

My first cycle off the pill was 50 days. Are you ovulating? That could be a reason that you're experiencing irregular cycles, you simply could be having problems ovulating.

Your doctor usually won't intervene unless you've been having problems for more than a year. sad

Sending hugs. I know first hand how frustrating it can be. flowers

happybus28 Mon 21-Nov-16 16:23:10

Thanks mouse I know I've definitely ovulated twice as had positive OPKs on day 30 of the the 41 day cycle and day 14 of the 29 day cycle but not so sure about the others. Think I am just very late in the cycle. On day 31 today and still not had a positive OPK, done at least 1 a day since CD10. Sorry to hear you've been experiencing the same! Tough isn't it. How long have you been TTC?

Furo Mon 21-Nov-16 18:32:53

Hi OP, If you feel unwell I'd go see your GP - I suddenly started having irregular periods and spotting in between and was worried about an ectopic pregnancy, so went to my GP. Took ages to get an appointment, but he referred me to 2 blood tests and because he saw some irregularities straight to the gyn op, who checked for cysts and polyps. You know your body best, so if you think somehing's up, I'd go check it out. Fingers crossed it'll sort itself out fast. X

Phoenix76 Mon 21-Nov-16 21:30:33

Hello Happybus! I agree with pp's in that a GP will only investigate if it's causing other problems or you've been ttc for a year, which is reassuring to the extent that this is how long, on average, they expect it to take to conceive. It's totally frustrating, and something we can't control. However, you asked about supplements that may help. First off, and you're probably already doing this as all ladies ttc are strongly advised to take is folic acid. Secondly (and not wanting to get your hopes up but after over a year of ttc and within a month of taking them I was pregnant) is taking Ubiquionol QC10 (Google Ubiquionol and fertility) have a good read of it! The last thing I'd like to say and the hardest thing for you to do, is try not to get too stressed over it, my GP told me they've proven that can seriously impact getting pregnant. Wishing you all the very very best 💐

happybus28 Mon 21-Nov-16 22:33:51

Thanks for the messages! I know it's all part of the TTC journey I'm just having a bad day! I think having a 29 day cycle last month made me feel like I was taking a step in the right direction but now it feels like I'm back to square one! Thanks for the supplement info phoenix I will have a read!

MouseLove Tue 22-Nov-16 08:36:16

Hope you're feeling a little better this morning happy. X

I'm only on cycle 2 of actively TTC but my TTC journey has been ongoing for around 3 years but we had to keep putting it off for various reasons. It's very frustrating. The last delay was last year and that one was particularly hard. I'm not getting any younger (33 in a week) and my health recently took an unexpected turn for the worse. I feel like everything is against me. X

broodypsycho Tue 22-Nov-16 23:26:20

Hello OP. It seems like your cycles aren't getting any better, I went to GP after 7 months and told him I'd been trying for over a year (halo) and then he referred me to the hospital, by the time I actually got the appointment it was nearly a year anyway, and now a year later we've been put on the IVF waiting list as they think we have been trying 2 years..a little white lie never hurt anybody to push things along wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now