Ovulation kits

(9 Posts)
helenharry Thu 17-Nov-16 08:32:52

Just got married this year and been talking to DH about trying to get pregnant but we've been on honeymoon where there has been zika so have been waiting. Spoke to my gp this week (about something unrelated but asked whilst I was there!) who said we didn't need to wait anymore but DH is a massive worrier so told him that if he wasn't happy we would wait as originally intended. Got home last night and he just said out of nowhere shall we start trying for a baby now?! Very excited face!!!!

Anyway I get a bit obsessed and am wondering what people's views on ovulation kits were?! Try or best leave and just try as and when!? TIA

WantingBaby1 Thu 17-Nov-16 08:40:37

Internet cheapies! You can get loads on amazon or eBay for less than a fiver and they're great if you use them right:

If you have a 28 day cycle start using from day 8
In the afternoon
After holding pee for at least 3 hrs
After not drinking excessively for at least 3 hrs

FX!

katand2kits Thu 17-Nov-16 11:28:29

I would not start off by using ovulation kits as they can actually put more pressure on you (and especially your DH!). If you have sex three times a week (you are newlyweds, after all) then you don't need to worry about missing the ovulation window. I'd give it six months before you worry about ovulation kits.

helenharry Thu 17-Nov-16 11:31:39

Cheers both of you. Thanks katand2kits, that's what I was a bit worried about! Will take it easy for the mo and see how we get on! Fingers crossed! smile

user1471874092 Thu 17-Nov-16 11:32:41

I'd recommend the clear blue fertility monitor, very accurate, I got pregnant twice from using it, good luck!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 18-Nov-16 08:27:23

Hi - what's the name of the best internet cheapies? I'm using Clearblue and it catches my more fertile days but never the surge. Have had initial hormone tests (and was pregnant earlier this year but miscarried) so am pretty sure it's because I am testing in the morning and not catching the surge so would like to try both but don't want to buy more CB stuff than necessary.

Also, what sort of time in the afternoon should I test?

katand2kits Thu 24-Nov-16 22:49:40

I used ovulation kits without telling my DH about when ovulation was. The key to this is to get them into the habit of having plenty of random sex throughout the month. Then, when they get home from work and you are naked in the bath, they don't automatically assume it is baby making time.

MauiChristmas Fri 25-Nov-16 12:50:58

I used to use one step cheap tests... Id test between 11-5 in the afternoon and then a few times a day when my surge was close.

Id definitely agree that any form of ovulation monitoring puts the pressure you and DH to perform... so take it easy and try to just have lots of sex through your cycle.

Remember also you need to be having sex up to and right before the ovulation surge... No afte it so the opk surge result is usually too late to be overly helpful.

TurquoiseDress Fri 25-Nov-16 15:03:05

I use the cheap ones off Ebay, seem to work ok but not yet had a BFP!

On cycle 5 after a miscarriage in the summer.

Now worried as I'm 38 and my previous 2 pregnancies involved no planning or cycle watching or anything. Plus we only had sex the once in each month that I fell pregnant.

Just make sure you have regular sex.

This month I'm ditching the OPKs, temperature taking, counting days etc & literally just having lots of sex!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now