21 day blood test

(11 Posts)
user1479311539 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:05:07

Hello!
So, I was sent for the day 21 blood test last week to see if I was releasing eggs. I went on what I calculated to be day 21 of my cycle, however had a positive ovulation stick the day after the blood test.

I called the doctors today and the results have come back abnormal. The exact result was 4mmol... obviously I did the natural thing and had a quick google and got upset that it's not good news...

I'm just wondering how sensitive the blood test is and also if having the blood test before the day of ovulation could be a factor why my results were so low?

Any advice or insight into this would be amazing ... I'm new to this!

AmyC86 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:15:27

It is 100% accurate as it's a blood test. Did you use a digital ovulation test or just a normal one?

If it was a normal one, you do know that the test line has to be as dark or darker than the control line? Also, the most accurate time of the day is around 2pm.

user1479311539 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:34:24

I use just normal test... until that day I had never had a positive reading, always just a faint line, however on that day it was darker than the control line in the morning and evening and gone by the next day...

sarahboro1 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:16:00

I had my bloods done last month but my doctor took them every week so we could see a pattern. They were down below 5 until ovulation week when they peaked at 17. Doctor was happy with this so maybe you could ask if they'll track you for a whole cycle too? Xx

user1479311539 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:35:54

This sounds like a really good idea. Do you know if they were still low the day before ovulation? I just don't know if I'm kidding myself thhey could be wrong because I ovulated the day after

eurochick Wed 16-Nov-16 20:26:58

It sounds likely that the timing was wrong. Do you have a regular cycle? Did your period arrive 7 days after the test?

Progesterone levels peak midway between ovulation and the start of your period. On a textbook 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14, that is day 21. If your cycle hasn't read the textbook the test could well have missed peak progesterone.

Stephy2424 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:47:35

This is what I was thinking ... my cycle varies from 28-30 days ... it's always so different so that's why we decided to go on the 21st day, as I had never had a positive on the ovulation sticks before I didn't even have an idea when I ovulated so was taken by surprise the day after!
fingers crossed!

sarahboro1 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:35:09

So my results were as follows: cd 3 1.4nmol, cd 10 1.3nmol, cd 17 13.2nmol, cd 24 18.3nmol. I used opk for the first time this month which indicated I ovulated between cd 15-16. My cycle is a generally regular 28 days. Hope this helps. Xx

Stephy2424 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:58:56

Yes this helps a lot. Thank you so much. So according to what I know with my tests... Cd 21 4nmol and ovulated on cd 22... so clearly I'm a late ovualtor ... and hoping just because I ovulated late it means the test has came back abnormal.
Thank you so much for spending the time to message me back, it really does help make it clearer for me x

sarahboro1 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:02:43

Not a problem!! Xx

ScottishLady7 Wed 16-Nov-16 23:40:49

I had my day 21 progesterone checked and my fertility monitor said I was ovulating that day. Shocker- my progesterone was undetectable.
I called my GP and persuaded them to check it a week later and it was over 30.
Go with your gut, if you think the blood test was done at the wrong time then go back. As PPs have said, it should be done 7 days before your period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now