Ovulation test experienced users please?

(10 Posts)
MrsATtc Sat 12-Nov-16 07:14:28

Ovulation test kits

Hi there. We are ttc baby no 3. We haven't been trying long, but decided to have a go with ovulation tests. I bought some cheap ones from amazon, but so far I'm already finding it difficult to test at the suggested time of day. There seems to be so much conflicting advice on the Web about what time of day you should test and how many times etc etc. I bought the cheap tests as I have decided to test twice a day. First thing in the morning pee (conflicting info about this too) and again in the afternoon about 2-3pm holding in around 4 hrs pee (& not drinking too much). I have a clear blue digital on standby but don't want to waste it 😕 until I see a positive on the cheap ones. So far I have not seen a hint of a positive line. I am now on day 17 of my cycle and this morning I have a faint test line. I know that this line has to be as dark or darker that the control line for it to be regarded as positive, but I wondered if this is a sign that I'm probably heading for 'o' time soon? I'm just interested to hear what is usual for this type of testing? We have been dtd every other day anyway so I'm not holding out for a positive test. I've read so many stories where people have never detected ovulation but got pregnant anyway. Thanks xx

MrsG280516 Sat 12-Nov-16 09:10:37

There are some cases where people never get a positive on OPKs, you'll only know if this is you if you keep using them and keep them for comparison (only compare those done at the same time of day). In which case you should assume the strongest one is your positive (and you will ovulate 12-48 hours after getting a positive).

However most people get at least one dark line during their cycle. Depending on the length of your cycle you could ovulate later, if it's a 35 day cycle then you won't ovulate till around CD21, as it's usually 14 days before AF starts. There's lots of variables though, shorter luteal phases (8-12 days) means you could ovulate even later in your cycle.

Just keep using them twice a day and I'm sure you'll see a positive soon smile

happybus28 Sat 12-Nov-16 09:14:22

I use the cheap ones from amazon too. I usually test mid afternoon around 3pm then again later on about 9pm. My cycles are all over the place since coming off the pill currently on CD23 and still not had a positive this cycle. Last cycle however I got a very strong positive on CD14. The test line was significantly darker than the control line and stayed that way for about 48hrs then went back to faint again.

I find i generally always have a test line, rare for me for a test line not to appear at all but it's still negative if it's fainter than the control line. It is possible to miss your surge especially if only testing once per day. Best to try and pinpoint other signs of ovulation too like EWCM. I know I haven't missed it yet as a couple of days after ov my boobs get really sore and tender and stay that way until AF but not had that yet so I'm carrying on testing!

danigrace Sat 12-Nov-16 12:28:21

My positives on cheapies have always been late afternnon or evening. Think clear blue are fmu but they test for estrogen as well as your LH surge. My positive was cd21 this time, I got faint lines from a few days after AF finished then a strong positive all of a sudden. It's also worth noting I've found the cheapies can take a good 5 min to turn as dark as they are going to.

MrsATtc Sat 12-Nov-16 17:47:15

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful. I had been discarding my test strips within a few mins of testing so will hold on to them a bit longer for results.

MrsATtc Sun 13-Nov-16 16:30:30

Got a positive today - backed up by clear blue digital - thanks for all the replies at least I know what to look for now x

WantingBaby1 Sun 13-Nov-16 17:05:47

Hi ladies, I've been following this thread and wanted to thank you for the helpful advice.

I'm not temping and my can't figure out how to test cervical fluid, but today (cd 14) I had some white creamy discharge in my knickers. First time all month. So I did an ovulation test but it was negative - v faint line (see pic). Does the discharge give me any indication of when I might ovulate? I try and do the tests in the afternoon after holding urine and not drinking too much but I can't do that for more than 3 hrs so am concerned the tests will always be faint.

Advice appreciated!

WantingBaby1 Sun 13-Nov-16 17:08:15

Ps I'm not sure how long my cycle is - first one after coming off the pill was 34 days, the second 28.

MrsATtc Sun 13-Nov-16 17:51:59

Hi there, I'm all new to this too as you will have read... mine was like yours barely a test line then all of a sudden it got a bit darker - then this afternoon I got my first positive, which I backed up with clearblue digital. I had a negative this morning but had been out shopping when I felt a dull ache, I wondered if it was ovulation pain so when I got back I did another test (I had been drinking plenty and I'm sure I can't have been holding my pee longer than 2 hrs ) and there it was. Keep testing and you'll hopefully catch it soon x

danigrace Sun 13-Nov-16 18:15:04

Yay MrsA! Enjoy dtd!!

Wanting I have a bad bladder and can't not drink any longer than that and haven't had any issues with accuracy. The cm you are looking out for is the kind you can stretch between your fingers, looks and feels kind of like egg white. Some women notice when they go to the loo but some may have to pop a clean finger in there to see what's going on. If you google 'fertile cervical mucus' there's a lot of useful info out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now