Advice needed on required tests

(5 Posts)
FunionShmings Tue 27-Sep-16 11:29:59

I wanted to know if anyone is on the same boat as me?

I have done a couple of blood tests recently (a full blood count, thyroid and prolactin) and nothing abnormal was found. I suppose I should be happy but it leads to me question myself and ask "What is wrong with me?"

I'd like to know if there are specific tests/scans I can ask for to explain why it's taking so long to conceive?

DH and I've been TTC for a while now. I'm a worrywart and I don't know if that is delaying things because I've started reading more about PCOS and, even though my periods are regular, I'm worried I have it. Despite trying to remain positive, it becomes disheartening when people get together waaaay after you and they're popping babies left, right and center! sad

delilahbucket Tue 27-Sep-16 22:42:18

Day 2-5 bloods test fsh and oestrogen levels. Day 21 test is for progesterone. These are usually the first two that are done alone with your partner needing a sperm analysis.

FunionShmings Thu 29-Sep-16 11:27:56

My doctor has given me 2 blood test forms. But she said the blood test fsh one can be done any day? And that I could do it on the same day as the progesterone one (day 21)? Does it have to be on day 2-5?

delilahbucket Thu 29-Sep-16 21:21:58

Doing an fsh test late in your cycle is pointless as there won't be any of it in your system. It has to be done on day 2, 3, 4 or 5 as it is what starts the follicle building process ready for ovulation.
The day 21 test isn't always done on day 21. It should be 7 days before your period. This should also have been explained to you.

user1471874092 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:28:16

I did the following tests on NHS Guys Hospital in London

Thyroid
ideally should be under 3.5 with 1-2 being ideal for TTC

Progesterone
day 21 of cycle or couple days later if you have long cycle
greater then 30 means ovulation took place

LH Hormone
day 1 of cycle
Ideal 2.4-12.6 ideally LH should be low as better

FSH Hormone
day 1 of cycle
Ideally FSH should be low as better, high levels indicate diminished ovarian reserve
Less than 6 = excellent
6-8 = normal
8-10 = fair
10-12 = lower than normal

Check blood clotting
Ideal IgM anticardiolipin antibodies should be 1-10

Internal scan
Check antral follicle count (AFC) / anti-mullerian hormone (AMH)
Check lining (ideally should be between 10-13mm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now