What happened here?

(7 Posts)
Hurricane99 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:20:50

Not sure if I ovulated this month. For the last few months I've been using Clearblue digital OPK. It's a small sample size, but I've consistently got a Peak result on Day 16 (or once Day 15).

This month, I'm on Day 17 and still getting flashy faces (6 days of flashing, previously only have 4 max). I took an Internet cheapy yesterday afternoon and it gave no indication of an LH rise. I have double checked with cheapies previously in the run up to Peak and got dark lines, but I wonder if I tested too late this month?

I was starting to think I hadn't ovulated BUT this morning I got a clear BBT rise, right on schedule. My boobs are slightly sore too, which is a normal symptom.

1. Do you think it's possible I did ovulate but the LH surge was too low for the ClearBlue to detect this month? And I possibly missed it by testing too late with the Internet cheapy?

Also I'm due at the doctors on Monday lunchtime for a 21 day blood test

2. Does this blood test have to be 7 days exactly after ovulation? If I did ovulate on Day 16, it'll only be 5 days.

3. If I didn't get a positive OPK and might not have ovulated this month, is there any point doing the blood test? Maybe they should do it next cycle?

Any advice appreciated

DizzyNorthernBird Thu 22-Sep-16 08:42:40

I would go for the test anyway but make sure they know that you can't be sure you ovulated and how many dpo you think you are. They can always request another blood test if needed.

Do suffer from irregular cycles? If so then it's important you stick to your cd21 test so they can get a true reflection of what is going on?

I'm going through testing too....it is difficult getting the timing right. I was told to get cd27 bloods due to long / irregular cycles. My last test was taken on cd25 as this was the only appointment the GP had available, as it happened I'd ovulated early that month which meant the test was bang on 7 days after ov. This cycle I've got the test booked for a week tomorrow however there's no sign of ov just yet.....it's so frustrating!

DizzyNorthernBird Thu 22-Sep-16 08:45:07

Another thought, by Monday you'll have a better idea whether you've ovulated after observing your temps for the next few days....you could always try to reschedule so the test is 7dpo? Just make sure the doctor knows what day the test was on.

Hurricane99 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:05:39

Hi Dizzy

Thanks for your reply.

My cycles are still settling down after coming off the Depo injection, but they've been back regularly since May. I used to have very regular cycles before that. They aren't quite a consistent length, some were 26 days but the last few months have been 29-30 so my Dr based it on that but it might not be spot on. The Dr did warn me that sometimes the blood tests in unhelpful and can cause stress with false negative results, when really they just tests on the wrong day.

You're right about monitoring BBT over the next few days. While my temps are slightly erratic before ovulation, they are clear and consistently elevated afterwards, so if they stay up that'll be a good thing.

If the BBT stays up, I'll go along to the appointment and just explain to the Dr. If it drops again, I might ring the Dr and ask their advice about whether to go or reschedule.

Hope you ovulate soon and you're blood test goes well. I'm surprised, given how time sensitive the blood test is, that your Dr tested you so late last time. When I booked in, I told the receptionist is had to be Monday (day 21). They were fully booked but she just squeezed me in at the end of morning surgery instead.

Hurricane99 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:27:55

Just bumping this up in case anyone has any insight confused

Hurricane99 Fri 23-Sep-16 07:52:46

My temperature dropped again this morning. So confused confused

Hurricane99 Sun 25-Sep-16 09:11:40

Ok, I'm not really getting any responses to my thread but I'm going to ask anyway....

I'm fairly certainly I didn't ovulate this month. No positive OPK, no clear temp shift and no sore boobs. I'm fairly sure I have ovulated in the last few months so I'm currently hoping this is just a one off.

I know you don't get a proper period after an anovulatory cycle, just breakthrough bleeding. What I want to know is, if this isn't s proper stood, does this bleeding still reset your cycle and I'd consider that CD1?

I just don't know how to move forward with tracking ovulation assuming this is a one off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now