HSG exam today

(5 Posts)
carriedawatermelon Mon 19-Sep-16 09:00:36

I have an HSG exam this afternoon. Have spent the whole night dreaming about it and have woken up tied in knots about it this morning. Please tell me it's not going to be as bad as I am imagining! Anyone had one? What can I expect?

INeedNewShoes Mon 19-Sep-16 09:06:12

I had a Hycosy which is similar. Really, it was absolutely fine. I'd describe it as manageable discomfort. I took an ibuprofen beforehand and made good use of long exhale breathing at the most uncomfortable points but honestly it was fine and I was happy and chatted with the nurse and dr throughout.

You'll find lots of negative stories on the internet but just take your own mind over matter approach and chances are you'll be fine.

DizzyNorthernBird Mon 19-Sep-16 10:45:12

I had mine last weds carried, it was fine. I didn't have painkillers before and it was uncomfortable but definitely bearable, especially if you're used to having af cramps.

It was basically just like having a smear, except with mine they were struggling to keep everything in position, which was basically because I'd just finished AF which means internally everything is less rigid. This meant they had to insert an extra implement to keep things in position. I could feel some pressure but it didn't last long at all. I was able to see the screen and could see my womb and tubes and the radiographer told me straight away that everything looked normal and my tubes were clear.

I was probably only in there for about 5-10 minutes! Take a sanitary towel with you to use afterwards as you'll need it. I also took some painkillers with me to take after the appointment but I didn't need them as I didn't have any pain at all.

I did spot for a few days afterwards though, until Saturday I think. The radiologist had warned me this was possible so I wasn't concerned and there was only a small amount of blood when wiping only.

DizzyNorthernBird Mon 19-Sep-16 10:46:58

Try not to worry about it as you'll be absolutely fine!

carriedawatermelon Mon 19-Sep-16 12:48:31

Thanks, ladies. Will put my big girl pants on and try to relax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now