Totally obsessed and mad, talk me down

(12 Posts)
JohnCrane Thu 08-Sep-16 18:47:26

Have been TTC for a long time. Getting incredibly miserable. Started using Ovulation tests. Got a positive today, had sex day before yesterday and am panicking reading the internet that I might have missed the window and that sometimes it's positive at the end of your window etc. I know I'm a nutter but someone please talk sense to me. DH is away tonight. sad

Dazedandconfusedtoomuchpeppa Thu 08-Sep-16 18:52:39

If you can dtd tomorrow you should hopefully get the right timing. I think ovulation is 12-48 hours-ish after a positive OPK

JohnCrane Thu 08-Sep-16 19:08:59

Thanks so much. Have dtd as soon as getting a positive for last few months and the few days after but had no joy so wondering if it's showing at end of ovulation? Is that likely? Had a negative yesterday.

Dazedandconfusedtoomuchpeppa Thu 08-Sep-16 19:41:00

Hmm, not too sure I'm afraid. I would think positive at end of ovulation unlikely since it is the surge before ovulation the tests measure, but I could be wrong. Fingers crossed you catch that egg flowers

MrsGsnow18 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:08:42

As long as you have had sex in days immediately leading up to the positive OPK there would be a chance and try after as well. Sperm can live for up to 5 days waiting for the egg!
So if you got positive today and had sex 2 days ago there is still a chance. Usually it's between 12 to 48 hours later after positive OPK that you ovulate so you prob won't ovulate until tomorrow or maybe even the next day. So I'd say if you can't have sex today, do tomorrow if you can!

violetsunflower Thu 08-Sep-16 20:22:01

I was told by a friend doing ivf to have sex every other day around ovulation, so the week / few days you'd expect to be ovulating and just after.

That and pre-seed worked well. I'd used ovulation kits that month to try to work out when I ovulated but I never got what I thought was a clear result. That was the month we conceived; looking back at the sticks (that id kept?!) there was a very slightly darker one that tallied with the days but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't become pregnant iykwim.

Many have recommended the "taking charge of your fertility" book. I must say I now go by cervical mucus after reading up on it and record it on an app. It's helping me to define that window more clearly.

Alibaba2 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:50:29

Hi John,

You may be ov'ing on the day of your positive opk so I would start dtd every other day (perhaps from day 8) until you get a positive then dtd every day.

JohnCrane Fri 09-Sep-16 06:32:57

Thanks so much everyone. Feeling a bit calmer now smile. Can you explain a bit more about cervical mucus? And what app do you use?

JohnCrane Fri 09-Sep-16 11:52:56

Got another positive this morning. Better to DTD tomorrow or today? (Managed to
Do it last night and DH won't be able to do three in a row I don't think grin

violetsunflower Fri 09-Sep-16 13:26:24

Ooh good!

I'd Google cervical mucus. There's some good (graphic) descriptions! But it's really useful when you know, and free.

Your temperature also rises after ovulation so that's another way to track though was annoying to do first thing!

I use the free my days app, others I know use Clue. Or just use a calendar. My days lets you record the mucous type (there's several) and temperature.

violetsunflower Fri 09-Sep-16 13:27:18

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/l1047500/what-cervical-mucus-looks-like-photos

Alibaba2 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:59:32

I would say today as you don't want to miss it.

It depends how quickly you ov after your surge. It could be the same day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now