Temp Charting Questions...

(5 Posts)
BaffledMummy Mon 05-Sep-16 09:31:02

Hello...considering starting temp charting but a bit clueless where to start. Do I need a flashy thermometer (or could I use my DD's in ear Tomy Tippee digital?). Any recommendations?
Also temp drop equates to possibly ovulating I think? What would it look like for the rest of my cycle if preg / if not preg? Should it go back up or stay low?
Should I just get an app (recommendations? have an android)
I know you guys are the experts! Thanks

NotSpartacus Mon 05-Sep-16 09:45:14

You need a thermometer that measures to two decimal places. Don't use the ear thermometer, they are not sufficiently accurate. You need to measure either orally or vaginally. Pick one and stick to it and always take your temp at around the same time in the morning before getting out of bed, drinking, talking etc.
Temping will not tell you that you are about to ovulate, only that you have done so. You need to do it for a couple of months to see a pattern in your cycle. Basically you will have low temps until you ovulate and higher temps thereafter.
I'd advise you to get a copy of Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler which explains it in detail. No apps required!

BaffledMummy Mon 05-Sep-16 10:40:26

Thanks Spartacus - will look out that out!

Catinthecorner Mon 05-Sep-16 14:54:48

I've just started temp charting but I think I ovulated yesterday. I had a small temp drop followed by a higher temp today. I think that higher temp will continue until my period. No idea what happens if I'm lucky enough to be pregnant.

NotSpartacus Mon 05-Sep-16 16:50:35

Cat, if you are pregnant, your temperature will stay high (18 days of consecutive high temps indicates pregnancy). In some case it goes even higher after implantation (a triphasic temp) and may dip first (an implantation dip), but those things are also often seen in non-pregnant charts. If you are not pregnant, it will drop either slowly or suddenly and your period will start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now