How soon can you know if you are pregnant?

(14 Posts)
Harrisonsmum2013 Wed 31-Aug-16 15:54:05

Hi, I'm TTC my second baby. My first kid was conceived literally the first time trying, and I knew I was pregnant from week four. This was 3-4 years ago.
We've been trying for the last two months, and I was sure 'felt' pregnant a week after ovulating; sickness, dizziness and general tummy feels. I really hope I've not imagined it. I took a digital test this morning (5 days b4 being due on) and it said not pregnant. Should I lose hope? Did anyone else have a negative result 5 days before being due on?
Thanks in advance. I guess I'm clutching at straws.. But I just am convinced I'm pregnant. blush

physicskate Wed 31-Aug-16 16:36:13

It's probably a bit early for a digital...

This website gives info for positives by dpo by brand. It might help...

www.countdowntopregnancy.com/pregnancy-test/brands.php

Heatherbell1978 Wed 31-Aug-16 16:39:52

With a Clearblue 1st response test I think it's 4 days before your period is due. That's what I used with this pregnancy.

McBaby Wed 31-Aug-16 16:42:53

First response six days before period worked for me and usually give me a positive at 10dpo so six days before missed period.

TerriB84 Wed 31-Aug-16 17:11:29

I think it really depends how well you know your own body. I'm currently pregnant with my first child and can honestly say I knew I was pregnant about a week after ovulation. I did a test when I when I when I would have been 5 days before expected period which came back negative. I actually didn't get a positive until day of expected period and even then it was very faint. It would never have come back positive on a digital. So definitely don't lose hope if you really believe you could be pregnant.

oatybiscuits Wed 31-Aug-16 18:02:30

Yup I knew I was pregnant both times before I was getting a positive testsmile

Harrisonsmum2013 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:39:31

Thanks you everyone. I guess I was a bit premature with my testing. I'll try again in a couple of days. Isn't the waiting the worst! It's made worded by that fact that I'm sure I am - I just want to know whether I'm right. xx

drinkyourmilk Wed 31-Aug-16 19:41:24

I got mine only 2 days before I was due. Clearblue digital

YourNewspaperIsShit Thu 01-Sep-16 19:12:08

I got the faintest line in the world (so faint noone believed me) a week before my period but "felt" pregnant right after I'd implanted I even felt a pain/twinge blush I'd been obsessing that much that I was aware of any changes immediately

MoonlightMojitos Thu 01-Sep-16 20:05:43

I got very clear bfp 13dpo / 2 days before af with clearblue normal + one, not digital. Depends on your lp? If you have 10 day lp then you wouldn't get a positive 5 days before AF but if your lp was 15 days you might as you'd be 10dpo if that makes sense?

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Thu 01-Sep-16 20:13:19

I got a super faint BFP 9DPO after having some teeny weeny symptoms - I stood for about 10 minutes looking at my boobs in the mirror convinced they looked different (not exactly sure how though). I even had tufts of new hair growing on my hairline - is that even a symptom!! hmm

I tested in the evening of 9DPO, thought it was a negative. Went back and a line had developed, but it could have been an evapnline. Tested the next day, and a faint line appeared within minutes.
My periods are super regular and I was using ov sticks, so there was no mistaking ov day.

I'm now 17 weeks smile

Harrisonsmum2013 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:46:31

Thank you for this. Silly question but what's LP? x

lousylear Thu 01-Sep-16 20:48:05

LP - luteal phase

MoonlightMojitos Thu 01-Sep-16 21:11:16

(How long between ovulation day and next af) the length varies between different women but generally stays about the same for you no matter how long your cycles as it's the first bit before ovulation that can vary a lot if you're irregular smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now