Prednisolone in pregnancy and risk of cleft palate.

(2 Posts)
Lucinda15 Wed 31-Aug-16 07:38:26

Hello,

I've had 3 recurrent mc's and have been to Coventry who have prescribed a treatment plan of progesterone and prednisolone in my next pregnancy for raised uNK's.

I know there is a small risk of cleft palate with prednisolone in pregnancy....I've asked them for a bit more information on this but they have been a bit slow to reply. I wondered if anyone knew much about this and the likelihood of cleft palate? I know that women who have arthritis, lupus, asthma etc also take prednisolone so wondering what these ladies have been told. Or if anyone can share experiences of taking prednisolone in pregnancy. I'm feeling a bit anxious about doing this but want to go ahead as it feels better to be doing something rather than leaving my next pregnancy to chance again.

Thanks.

AyOhRiver Wed 31-Aug-16 19:32:30

I'm currently 31 weeks with number 2 and I've taken prednisolone in both pregnancies for severe hyperemesis. It has only been prescribed at 18 weeks both times due to the risk. I stayed on it throughout my first pregnancy, including via a drip during labour. My daughter was 34 weeks and was big for gestation so I'm having fortnightly growth scans during this pregnancy, as steroids can make for a bigger baby. However, my friend who has asthma was on prednisolone throughout her pregnancy and her baby was born at 40 weeks with a relatively low birth weight.

Good luck and I hope you get the information you need soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now