Feeling blue... TTC, rubella immunity and miscellanous woes.

(13 Posts)
KittyWindbag Wed 03-Aug-16 07:53:23

I went for a physical health check a few months after starting TTC as it wasn't happening, so thought I'd just check things out.

Most things were OK, apart from them finding too few rubella antibodies in my system. There were a few mix-ups with blood results at the hospital and some miscommunication which means that I only just received my rubella shot, despite finding out I needed it almost 2 months ago. This has set back our TTC a further month, on top of the months confusion in the middle.

I'm feeling blue about it. Of course I'm glad I got the shot, I wouldn't want to risk it. But my husband has problems with delayed ejaculation, and so every month that goes by feels that bit worse, as we have so few chances to actually get pregnant anyway.

I know TTC can take time and I should put my sensible head on. I just feel like it's all going at a snail's pace. I feel sad, and I feel sad for putting pressure on DH, who feels shit about it.

delilahbucket Wed 03-Aug-16 11:15:22

Hi Kitty, I didn't want to read and run. I can't offer much in the way of advise but I can offer sympathy. We are now into cycle 16 of ttc. Dp has antisperm antibodies so our chances of conceiving each cycle are less than 1%. I can't possibly contemplate having to miss a cycle. I actually don't know how I'm still carrying on with it. I dropped my bbt thermometer in the loo last week and haven't bothered replacing it. I feel like the wind has totally left my sails this month.

m33r Wed 03-Aug-16 21:01:27

Aw girls it is so shit! My DH and I didn't have any of the challenges you guys do but it still took us 20months to conceive my DS (now 16 months). It is so rubbish but hang in there. When you can't be bothered, don't and when you can, go for it. I really hope it happens for you both soon!

KittyWindbag Thu 04-Aug-16 03:34:46

delilahbucket thanks for your supportive reply, I feel like a right idiot for moaning, considering your circumstances.

I know what you mean about the wind going out of your sails, there are times when I feel like I can't look at the constant photos on whatsapp from SIL of her beautiful baby. It was so easy for her and her DH, I wish you and me both could have some of that magical baby dust.

Lots of luck to you, Delilah.

delilahbucket Thu 04-Aug-16 12:58:20

Don't feel bad for moaning kitty, we all need to speak about how fed up we are, regardless of how long we've been trying. It still gets to you. I came off Facebook because I was sick of seeing "I'm pregnant" or "we've had a baby 12 months after we got married". A friend of mine has a newborn and I can't even bring myself to go see her.
No one in real life tends to get it and no one talks about it. That's why we all come on here!
I would send magic baby dust your way, but it's very "Nethuns" wink

MummyBex1985 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:11:45

The rubella thing confuses me! I just saw my GP for day 3 bloods and they asked if I'd had the vaccination. Frankly I have no idea.

They told me it's necessary for ante natal care but does it have an impact on conception too?!

delilahbucket Fri 05-Aug-16 07:59:37

If you contract it while pregnant it can be fatal that's why MummyBex. They check it as standard along with making sure you've had a smear and checking you've not got Chlamydia. Anyone can get pregnant, but if you need a doctor's help to get pregnant they make sure you're not likely to harm that child by inadvertently catching something or passing something on.

KittyWindbag Fri 05-Aug-16 14:41:30

mummybex it's likely you have had the rubella vacc or MMR as a child, they can test your blood for the antibodies, but the rubella can wear off apparently.

It does affect conception insofar as it's recommended to wait one month after getting the vaccine or booster before trying to conceive.

It used to be THREE months, but they have bumped it down to one. Actually according to this 2015 info www.gov.uk/government/publications/vaccine-in-pregnancy-advice-for-pregnant-women/mmr-measles-mumps-rubella-vaccine-advice-for-pregnant-women
conceiving shortly after getting vaccinated has been shown to have no adverse effects on the fetus, but the recommended advice is to wait a month.

KittyWindbag Fri 05-Aug-16 14:43:06

contracting the actual disease during pregnancy is known to cause CRS and severe health problems, the vaccine given during pregnancy and shortly after doesn't appear to have the same result, according to the above information.

MummyBex1985 Sat 06-Aug-16 14:04:54

Thank you smile

Sorry for derailing the thread! I guess I better look into it then as I did miss some vaccinations when I was younger. We will be taking a break this month anyway because we're heading to Zika ridden Florida in three weeks so maybe I should book a vaccination in so we are good to go when we are home! confused

Cityzen74 Tue 09-Aug-16 08:35:29

I will sympathise with you Kitty - I have been told I am not immune to Rubella either and also have to have the jab. I find this very mysterious as I have had German Measles and I distinctly remember having the injection in my last year of primary school. Anyway, as you say it's important to be immunised but I feel annoyed that we can't ttc this month.

Can I ask - did you have 1 injection or do you have to have a booster as well?

KittyWindbag Fri 12-Aug-16 09:31:55

cityzen I had just one injection and they didn't mention needing a booster again.

Cityzen74 Mon 15-Aug-16 08:50:05

Thanks Kitty

I had my injection on Friday and the nurse said that usually you would need a booster as well so I've made an appointment for 1 month's time. I'm going to ring the IVF clinic to make sure though because that means I can't ttc for 2 months!

It has been hard as I'm ovulating at the moment but of course can't do anything about it. However, at least I know that I'll be immune if I ever do get pregnant!

Hope you are OK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now