Question for mummies who conceived over 40

(19 Posts)
HappyCrazyTired Sun 31-Jul-16 19:07:37

How long did it take you to conceive?

FlourishingMrs Sun 31-Jul-16 21:43:41

9 months, Miscariage and one month after Miscariage, now 24 weeks.

janed9388 Mon 01-Aug-16 05:53:38

6 months first time, 4 months second (miscarried) and 5 months third time. attempts 2 & 3 using CBFM to try to speed up the process which seems to hvae helped a bit.

crispiecrunchie Mon 01-Aug-16 07:22:06

First was a surprise at 40. Second took five months and one early mc at 42.

Allium40 Mon 01-Aug-16 07:37:04

We sort of tried for about 9 months but were dtd after ovulation only. Then I fell pg without trying but had a MC.

We've been trying for 3 months this time - properly trying this time.

My age does bother me at times but then I read things like this which make me feel better:

http://www.netmums.com/pregnancy/g/would-you-conceive-it

What about you Happy? Are you trying?

Ragwort Mon 01-Aug-16 07:59:34

About eight months - but I wasn't actively 'trying' to conceive, we gave up using contraception 'to see what would happen' - DH was a lot keener than me grin.

Ledkr Mon 01-Aug-16 08:26:46

2 years (mostly at it like rabbits but not actively trying) I was 43.
Good luck

HappyCrazyTired Mon 01-Aug-16 12:17:09

We're only on our second month of trying but all info on the internet says it could take ages. Even then chances of them miscarrying is high which scares me a lot. I got 4 other children aged 23,21,11 & 6 and at most it took me 3 months (the last one was conceived after one "accident") Thank you for your replies,so nice to hear of success stories smile

Allium40 Mon 01-Aug-16 12:27:31

I try not to read anything age-related on the Internet. Apparently most stats are related to couples over 40 trying to conceive for the first time with ivf.

HappyCrazyTired Mon 01-Aug-16 14:33:26

I did wonder if it might be different if you've had children before... As I said I've never struggled before so fingers crossed I won't this time. smile

HappyCrazyTired Mon 01-Aug-16 16:08:40

I'm taking folic acid (just incase) are there any other vitamins etc you can recommend that might help?

Beegee3 Tue 02-Aug-16 18:59:20

Hi, I came off the mini pill 6 months ago, I am 43 and I am now 5 and half weeks pregnant 😀

Beegee3 Tue 02-Aug-16 19:04:01

There is a lovely thread on here 'fabulous 40 ttc and success stories'. This is my 3rd child - my last one was 10 years ago, ds 15 and ds10 x i was taking red clover, raspberry leaf, agnus castus and black cohosh (first 12 days of cycle) x

Makinglists Tue 02-Aug-16 19:15:31

About 6 months but lost two pregnancies in the proceeding 2 years. So I'm total about 2 years from when we decided to try for dc2.

Allium40 Tue 02-Aug-16 21:32:07

I take the following:

Daily throughout the month: ubiquinol, Royal jelly, pregnacare, vitamin c, spatone

Until ovulation: epo, raspberry leaf tea, grapefruit juice

After ovulation: fresh pineapple smoothies, Brazil nuts

I think that's it!

SueTrinder Tue 02-Aug-16 21:40:06

One month. The MW asked how long I'd been taking folic acid, then said 'well done' to DH hmm. I did have a four year old and a two year old, both also conceived in the first two months of trying so DH and I were obviously very fertile. Didn't take any of that stuff that Allium40 took, we just shagged at least every second day from the day my period ended until I got a positive test. I did take folic acid prior to starting the shagfest but also drank alcohol.

HappyCrazyTired Mon 08-Aug-16 09:58:03

Thank you for all your replies,SueTrinder you had me giggling grin. Unfortunately I'm out this month sad. Fingers crossed for next month...

Scrumptiousbears Mon 08-Aug-16 10:12:11

I struggled to conceive my first at 39 so was given Clomid which worked in month two. I then managed to convince naturally with my second just before my 41st birthday. The second time took 7 months of just no contraception but we were not monitoring ovulation.

Scrumptiousbears Mon 08-Aug-16 10:12:41

I struggled to conceive my first at 39 so was given Clomid which worked in month two. I then managed to convince naturally with my second just before my 41st birthday. The second time took 7 months of just no contraception but we were not monitoring ovulation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now