Tell me about miscarriage

(9 Posts)
Jjspoon Sat 16-Jul-16 18:28:10

So this isn't a great thread for a Saturday night but I'm (pretty sure) having a miscarriage. I'm 6w+4 today, yesterday the bad cramps started and this morning woke up to lots of blood which has continued all day. It's like a heavy period:'(. Spoke with the midwife this morning and I'm booked in for a scan first thing Monday morning but they're closed weekends so just waiting until then. I'm obviously expecting the worst as I don't see how this can be anything but that due to the amount of blood. I'm the kind of person who needs to know everything so please tell me your personal experiences of mc, how long will this bleeding last etc? I guess I probably won't need medical intervention as it's already happening but will see what they say on Monday. Thanks x

blossombottom Sat 16-Jul-16 20:12:35

Hi I didn't want to read this and run. So sorry you're going through his. Whatever the outcome it's horrible. I know a big bleed doesn't necessarily mean bad news and I know of lots of friends who have bled early and gone on to be fine.

I had a missed miscarriage (found at the dating scan) last month and had surgical management as it didn't look like I was going to miscarry naturally anytime soon. And I wanted it taken care of as efficiently as possible, and I wanted to be exposed to as little of the actual miscarriage as possible.

3 weeks since the op and my period has just started - I've felt tired and very teary at times, but keen to move on. Everyone experiences miscarriage differently but I've been determined to allow myself to feel sad, but also I've been big on looking forward and accepting that this one wasn't meant to be (I know a lot of people hate being told this but it's actually helped me).

What I'm trying to say really, is that if this is the worst case scenario you will get through it. It's a massive bummer and can be terribly sad and disappointing, but if it's bad news this time you'll come to realise how many women are going through this same thing right now.

Have you / can you take a pregnancy test?

Sending you courage! If the bleeding or the pain gets worse or if you start to feel dizzy, don't hesitate to call 999.

Jjspoon Sun 17-Jul-16 00:34:55

Thanks blossom. I just don't see how it can have survived this much bleeding. If I had pregnancy symptoms I would be feeling more positive but I never had any in the first place so I just can't help thinking that was a bad omen and I just don't feel pregnant sad.

That's what I've been telling myself that it wasn't meant to be but I was just so excited and everything and obviously it's just devastating now.

I haven't done a test because I've read that it can stay positive for a few weeks after you mc anyway?

Im not close to anyone irl who has children or is trying, first of my friends to try, so just dont really have anyone to talk to. Thanks for sharing your story xx

strandedabroad Sun 17-Jul-16 00:42:35

Hi spoon

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Please don't give up hope until it's for sure as things could be OK. But I'm like you and need to know the cold facts, so I fully understand.

I had a very early miscarriage at 5-6 weeks last year. The doctor/EPU didn't even want to see me as it was too early. I started bleeding and it turned into a slightly heavier than normal period. No pain, I didn't pass anything (that I noticed), and I took a pregnancy test on the day I started bleeding and it was negative. So I knew.

The following month I had ovulation pains which were stronger than usual. I got pregnant again the month after (so second cycle after the MC). Now 37 weeks and all's well.

It's hard, but hopefully you can try again soon and put it all behind you. flowers

blossombottom Sun 17-Jul-16 09:57:07

Let us know how you get on. If this is a miscarriage, a pregnancy test might give you an idea as the hcg might have been dropping for a while. Or ideally wait till you can be seen by the experts tomorrow. I'm so sorry, it must be hell not knowing flowers

n0ne Sun 17-Jul-16 10:19:45

I've had two 'natural' mcs, one at 12 weeks, one at about where you are. I won't trouble you with the details of the first one, but the earlier one for me was basically like a horrendous week-long period. A lot of bleeding and quite a lot of pain on and off. A hot water bottle helped. Stay home if possible as you'll need to visit the loo very frequently to change pads etc. At certain points I just stayed on the loo and 'let it out' as it where, as I was soaking through pads instantly.

There is a chance you're not mcing, so don't panic yet. But if you unfortunately do, I hope it's quick and as pain-free as possible. Good luckflowers

auberginefrog Sun 17-Jul-16 20:07:44

Hi I recently had a miscarriage at 7 weeks. I had bleeding that began as sitting then became torrential with cramps and then passed the sac. A week after I saw the sac I felt ovulation cramps and now I'm pregnant again with no period in between so even if the worst has happened don't despair it can happen again quickly - keeping my fingers crossed though it's bloody horrible flowers

Sophiehfz2805 Mon 18-Jul-16 13:16:31

Hi, i recently MC at 5 months, about 8weeks ago now. It was horrible as my waters broke early and cervix was fully dilated. I was then bleeding for a full two weeks but yes it was very heavy. Don't worry as you may not even be having a MC, stay strong and know that you're not alone. dont stress yourself outflowers

-Auberginefrog
Hi i just wanted to ask a quick question! Im ttc and i had a miscarriage around 8weeks ago now, ive had my first period already which ended 10 days ago, i know that on my OVIA fertility app it says im in my fertile window, well its just ending now, but i've been feeling extremely tired and drained, also very warm and got abit of a stomach ache too sometimes its abit sharp but not too sharp. Had light spotting a few days back too. I havent been able to ask anyone so i was wondering is it possible i could be pregnant this early on after. Mc or would it just be from the ovulating? Im so confused right now sad and congrats by the way ! X

sizeofalentil Mon 18-Jul-16 20:39:31

Just wanted to give you this and say I'm really sorry you're going through this flowers flowers flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now