No period for 6 months ... where to go next?

(17 Posts)
Tweetypie95 Mon 04-Jul-16 10:52:55

So It's been almost 6 months off the pill and still no period, I'll be ttc Number 1 ... when i actually start to work again. smile

From searching... a lot of people seem to suggest that Doctors don't quite take you seriously till after 6 months or more without a pill...

Anyone who has gone through this able to shine a light on when i should go to the doctors. Should I wait a bit longer or get the ball rolling?

Anyone who has been through this, I would greatly love to hear any advice or experience. Almost too scared to book the appointment as I'm worried to hear what the results are I think.

Thanks.

YouBoggleMyMind Mon 04-Jul-16 12:24:27

Make an appointment with your gp. I had the same thing happen to me and was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. You'll have some blood tests and possibly a scan. Xx

eskimoflo Mon 04-Jul-16 17:51:14

Come and join us on this thread- we lack periods too! (I'm a grad now, as I'm 7 months pregnant, but my story is on there, along with others who have also been successful and a few who are still trying).

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/2481523-when-to-expect-period-provera

We're a very supportive bunch x x

danikagrace Mon 04-Jul-16 23:22:56

Sorry to hear that Tweety. I'm in the same boat but a little further along, ttc #1 also. I personally found the 'standard wait time' to see the doc only applies to those with regular cycles. I was seen and given tests 5 months after coming off the pill and was diagnosed with pcos, I've since been referred to the fertility people at the hosp and had my first appt a cpl weeks ago. If I'd waited the 12 months I'd still not have seen my GP so I'm very glad I went early when I knew something wasn't right & would def recommend you do the same. FX for you.

Tweetypie95 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:57:00

Thanks so much eskimoflo thats really helpful, I'll make sure to pop by and have a read. Congratulations, always good to see some positive success stories!! smile

Thank you so much danikagrace I rang up my Doctors today and she asked what it was for and she made me an appointment with the nurse? Everyone suggested an appointment with a ‘Doctor or gp’ so a litle worried I’m going to get there and going to get sent away to make another appointment with the right person for me, like a doctor, I’m not sure ... didn’t want to tell her how to do her Job. Next Monday I’m there.

Hopefully it works out. How long was the process with finding out about pcos, also what tests did you go through?

Sorry about the questions, haha – fear of the unknown. blush

Thanks for the support and advice. Big sigh of relief knowing I could go to the Dr’s without feeling I look impatient. grin halo

danikagrace Tue 05-Jul-16 12:13:46

Tweety you're most welcome, please let us know how you get on at your appointment! You need answers so don't be afraid to be a bit pushy - if you aren't normally like that I found it helps to say something like 'my friend had the same thing (no periods when she came of her pill to ttc) for a little less time than me and her GP referred her for an ultrasound to check her ovaries and she has PCOS - she recommended I should see you so hopefully I can get some answers too' - that way you've clearly set out what you expect (ie. not to be fobbed off!!).
They also did a general blood test for me to make sure I wasn't anaemic (I wasn't) and tried to do a hormone blood test but it's supposed to be blood taken mid-cycle and when you come on so obvs that didn't work as I was never coming on, the ultrasound of my ovaries gave me the answer which was about a month after I was first seen and had had the bloods etc. I also had my belly prodded (externally) to see if anywhere hurt and was asked if I was up to date with smear test.
I'm now further along the process and had my first fertility appt 2 weeks ago - that doc said he wasn't happy I've not had a period so long (just over 3 months since last one at the time) and that if I still hadn't had one by the time I see him on 23 Aug he'd give me Provera to induce a bleed.

Tweetypie95 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:27:15

Thanks so much danikagrace this has most likely saved me so much time now i know how to approach it. Oh I'm sure i will be straight on here after my appointment, Most likely i will be more confused coming out then when I went in! haha.wink

Thats good news so when is it you officially came off contraception?

YouBoggleMyMind Tue 05-Jul-16 21:33:39

You're defo doing the right thing by getting the matter on the radar with your gp. DH and I did the same before a year of ttc was up. I didn't want to wait ages to get on the fertility journey. It's been 2 years and no pregnancy yet but I'm closer than I was!

danikagrace Tue 05-Jul-16 21:37:52

Tweety you're very welcome. I stopped taking my pill in October 15. Do let us know how you get on!

Boggle FX for you too!

YouBoggleMyMind Tue 05-Jul-16 22:12:40

Thanks danika. It's a stressful journey so do join us on the thread eskimo mentioned. We're all supportive xxx

Tweetypie95 Mon 11-Jul-16 16:12:48

Well fair to say that appointment couldn't have gone worse. I'm feeling very deflated now.

They firstly made me an appointment with the nurse, which seems to have been the wrong move.

She wasn't very nice at all. She was very much judging me. I felt like I was a 16 year old child sat infront of her telling her I was trying for a baby. - she then got me to make an appointment with the doctor but baisically said the doctor will just make me wait longer.

I honestly don't want to go back if I am going to be made to feel like this again.

Awah man.

YouBoggleMyMind Mon 11-Jul-16 19:52:47

Is there a nice dr with a better bedside manner you can talk to? No one should be made to feel stupid. I'm really sorry you were made to feel like that. Don't give up though xxx

danikagrace Mon 11-Jul-16 20:44:17

Tweety big hugs. And ditto what Boggle said. Unless you have a fair amount of weight to lose you DON'T have to wait IF something is clearly wrong with your cycle - I know that first hand as I stopped my pill in Oct and am 3 months into diagnostic tests and further help. See the doc and say something along the lines of what I said in my last post and make clear you want to be tested for pcos, if they don't help you then see someone else, at another practice if need be. Someone will help you.
My doctors practice has a website with a little write up on each docs special interest - if yours has the same make an appt with one who has fertility or gynae on their list xx

RobberBride Mon 11-Jul-16 22:27:39

Tweety I'm also on the thread eskimo mentions - it is a very successful thread (three pgs at the moment) so we could do with some non pg people to even up the numbers!

Go back and tell your doc that you at the very least want to take provera or norethisterone (both types of progesterone) to induce a bleed. If he's being a pain, tell him there's an increased cancer risk if womb lining is hanging round inside you for months without a bleed. If they fail to induce a bleed, you've got some evidence to go back and yell at him with.

Also check your weight and exercise levels (which should be moderate but not strenuous). Ideally for TTC your BMI should be between 20 and 25. I've got either HA or PCOS (they aren't sure!) but the treatment for both for me was to put on some weight so my BMI went above 20, to reduce exercise, and to eat a very balanced diet.

RobberBride Mon 11-Jul-16 22:28:46

Also, I saw my GP after three months of no period, and they couldn't have been more supportive. Your GP sounds like an arse.

YouBoggleMyMind Mon 11-Jul-16 22:40:35

Waves at robber xxx

danikagrace Tue 12-Jul-16 09:43:31

Good advice Robber
& do join us in the linked thread Tweety, I'm finding there's lots of lovely ladies who've all been through or are going through the same thing and they've got great tips and are a supportive bunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now